2006 SACC Annual Meeting Dates and Some Details

  • Chuck Ellenbaum
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 28, 2005
      Colleagues and Friends:

      Here are some initial details for the 2006 SACC Annual Meeting. It will be in Merida, Yucatan, mexico from Wednesday evening through your departure on Sunday (March 8-12, 2006). It will be at the Hotel Aldea Del Bazar Panamericana (see web site via Google). Please forward this email to SACC, other anthropologists, other interested individuals, the web sites for SACC and AAA, and both the Anthropology Newsletter and SACCNotes (Thanks).

      On Wednesday evening, there will be a Welcome Reception and an officer's meeting. On Thursday and Friday the morning will have breakfast, paper/presentation sessions (with a food break), luncheon round tables. For both days, an afternoon tour (Thursday?bus and walking tour of Merida; Friday?a small Maya town and other things of current cultural interest) will take place from about 1-5 pm. I am working on arranging optional experiences for the these two evenings. Saturday will include an all day tour of Chichen Itza (including breakfast and lunch). Based on comments at this year's meetings, I am arranging a farewell dinner for all of us on Saturday. Many people wanted something on the last evening before we leave.

      Once contracts are signed, I will send application forms to our web site for you to fill out. If you have any questions, please email me or call me. I will be gone 8/3-22/06 so will not be answering email then.

      I have not chosen a theme and am open to suggestions.

      Chuck ><>
      Charles O. Ellenbaum
      President-Elect, Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges
      707 Shady Avenue
      Geneva, IL 60134 USA
      Cell: 630-404-1261
      Home: 630-262-1281
      >ellenbaumbridge@...<

      "The sea never changes, and its works, for all the talk of man, are wrapped in mystery." Joseph Conrad

      "When beholding the beauty of the ocean skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it." Herman Melville
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 30, 2005
        I really appreciate the extra time to plan, Chuck, with this early info. I am going to need it and so will the crew that I usually bring from my college as our spring break starts March 13th! It can be done, and I will suggest ideas for field assignments, etc., midterm review week, and hope that our new Dean and new President are supportive. I do remember the last time we went to Merida, I was turned down because the Board would not support "foreign" travel. I won the issue by pointing out that the policy included Canada as a "contiguous" country, so that they had to allow Mexico! Oaxaca was then a breeze without complaint. We may have to encourage support ideas for those with xenophobic management and Boards.

        Here are some initial details for the 2006 SACC Annual Meeting. It will be in Merida, Yucatan, mexico from Wednesday evening through your departure on Sunday (March 8-12, 2006). It will be at the Hotel Aldea Del Bazar Panamericana (see web site via Google). Please forward this email to SACC, other anthropologists, other interested individuals, the web sites for SACC and AAA, and both the Anthropology Newsletter and SACCNotes (Thanks).

        On Wednesday evening, there will be a Welcome Reception and an officer's meeting. On Thursday and Friday the morning will have breakfast, paper/presentation sessions (with a food break), luncheon round tables. For both days, an afternoon tour (Thursday?bus and walking tour of Merida; Friday?a small Maya town and other things of current cultural interest) will take place from about 1-5 pm. I am working on arranging optional experiences for the these two evenings. Saturday will include an all day tour of Chichen Itza (including breakfast and lunch). Based on comments at this year's meetings, I am arranging a farewell dinner for all of us on Saturday. Many people wanted something on the last evening before we leave.

        Once contracts are signed, I will send application forms to our web site for you to fill out. If you have any questions, please email me or call me. I will be gone 8/3-22/06 so will not be answering email then.

        I have not chosen a theme and am open to suggestions.

        Chuck ><>
        Charles O. Ellenbaum
        President-Elect, Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges
        707 Shady Avenue
        Geneva, IL 60134 USA
        Cell: 630-404-1261
        Home: 630-262-1281
        >ellenbaumbridge@...<

        "The sea never changes, and its works, for all the talk of man, are wrapped in mystery." Joseph Conrad

        "When beholding the beauty of the ocean skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it." Herman Melville

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Chuck Ellenbaum
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
          On Saturday, July 30, 2005, at 07:43PM, Lewine, Mark <mark.lewine@...> wrote:

          ><<Original Attached>>
          Mark

          Thanks for the comments. Please forward this to everyone you can think of. I only have a few email addresses for SACC people.

          Chuck ><>
          Charles O. Ellenbaum
          707 Shady Avenue
          Geneva, IL 60134 USA
          Cell: 630-404-1261
          Home: 630-262-1281
          >ellenbaumbridge@...<

          "The sea never changes, and its works, for all the talk of man, are wrapped in mystery." Joseph Conrad

          "When beholding the beauty of the ocean skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it." Herman Melville

        • Rebecca Cramer
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2005
            Wow, Chuck, sounds just awesome, I'll be there for sure. If the move to Tucson goes well, I might even give a paper I've been working on for a while. It's an ethnohistory thing on the Missouria people.
            Anyway, I'm looking forward to the details. Thanks for doing these meetings, it's a big undertaking.
            Rebecca

            The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.