rights of retirement

    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2005
      Dear SACC Colleagues:

      I recently wrote a piece I call "Rights of Retirement" for a long-time
      friend and colleague who's retiring this spring (some of you might
      remember sociologist Mike Delaney from the Boston meetings�he gave a
      presentation on Irish Travellers: SACC NOTES, 7:1, 2000). Since a
      number of you have asked me questions about retirement, I thought you
      might enjoy the piece, pasted below:

      Lloyd

      Rights of Retirement
      By Lloyd Miller
      April 2005

      You have the right to:
      � Not carry a calendar.
      � Not use an alarm clock (except to get up for fishing, and then you�ll
      probably awaken before it goes off).
      � Selectively ignore or forget what doesn�t interest you.
      � Speak your mind; no one can fire you and unless you seek elective
      office, no one will care.
      � Not be responsible for knowing what day of the week it is (if you
      adapt successfully, it will make no difference anyway).
      � Leave matters you can�t correct or resolve (and never could) to those
      working folks who still believe they can.
      � Remain in your bathrobe, pajamas (or whatever), read the paper and
      sip your beverage of choice for as long as you bloody well choose.
      � Choose what you do on the basis of what you want to do, not what
      others want you to do.
      � Give advice freely, using sentences that begin with phrases like, �I
      remember�� or �When I was�..�
      � Walk tall and proud in the public environs on weekdays, master (with
      other retirees) of all you survey, and keep away from the roads, motels
      and malls on weekends when, in droves, working folks frantically seek
      their pleasures.
      � Ignore those (non-retirees�mostly stock brokers and insurance agents)
      who tell you you�re spending too much money and not saving enough for
      the future. You have entered the future, and if ever the phrase, �If
      it feels good, do it� was applicable, it�s now.
      � Take advantage of all �seniors� benefits that come your way. Sure, a
      lot of it is commercial pandering but it�s surprising what you can save
      sometimes. May the Force (of AARP) be with you!

      If you do not exercise these rights, you may find yourself slipping
      back into the �working stiff� mentality (frenzied, overwhelmed,
      overloaded and totally stressed out), but with less pay and no
      additional benefits.

    • Pulford,Mary H
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2005
        HI, Lloyd

        Thank you for these words of wisdom. I am looking forward to retirement in
        the not so distant future.

        Mary

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Chuck Ellenbaum
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2005
          On Wednesday, May 04, 2005, at 10:33AM, Pulford,Mary H <mpulford@...> wrote:

          ><<Original Attached>>
          Lloyd and Colleagues

          I'd add to the list the time and energy to spend time with friends and loved ones that the demands of the career put into second place. You set your own schedule and calendar. It is wonderful. You also have the time and energy to drop everything and respond to the emergencies of your friends and loved ones with no boss to explain to (other than your spouse).

          Chuck ><>
          Charles O. Ellenbaum
          707 Shady Avenue
          Geneva, IL 60134 USA
          630-404-1261
          >ellenbaumbridge@...<

          "The sea never changes, and its works, for all the talk of man, are wrapped in mystery." Joseph Conrad

          "When beholding the beauty of the ocean skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it." Herman Melville

        • Ann Kaupp