Four fields Lecture/Lab

  • Hare, William
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2005
      Hi,

      Before anyone has visions of lab facilities and lots of budget....everything is on a shoe string. I just got approval to purchase a set of full-size hominid skull casts (we have ½ scale which really do not have the same impact). I have a skull measurement/comparison exercise for that. For archaeology I recreate "burials" using skeletons from the AP lab and cultural artifacts that I purchased at WalMart. For cultural-anth we do participant-observation and I am working on developing a longitudinal study of immigration in our region. I still need to get something interesting for linguistics, which as you know, gets the short end in most general anth texts. I really had a drawn out argument with a close colleague in the humanities/English department who could not be convinced that linguistics was a sub-field of anth.

      I must confess that my labs are not my original creation, but were borrowed from on-line sources and a book whose title escapes me right now. I just changed some of the details to make them fit my needs. That being said I am thinking of doing the following:

      Spring Term: Students in cultural anthropology create a culture and bury artifacts in the back field of the college campus.
      Fall Term: Students in general anthropology dig up the burials and try to put together an accurate picture of the culture created by the previous students.

      Will