RE: [SACC-L] SACC session at 2006 AAA meeting

  • Hare, William
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 20, 2005
      I teach a four-field course. We have two sections each fall and then
      two sections of cultural in the spring. My intro course is moving to a
      lecture/lab design with exercises for each of the subfields.

      Will Hare
      Three Rivers Community College
      Norwich, CT

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 20, 2005
        I'd sure like to hear more about the lecture/lab design.

        I've taught in community college systems that offer general and others that
        offer, usually only, cultural. And part of what I've learned over the last
        year or so is that sociologists have done a much better job of getting
        support in community colleges than anthropologists have. I just recently
        visited a school where one of the administrators didn't even think
        anthropology would meet core curriculum requirements.

        Hmmm. This does sound like a session topic!!

        Cheers!
        Dianne

        Dianne Chidester

      • Donohue-Lynch, Brian
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 20, 2005
          Our small college in northeastern CT has offered the five-field "Intro. to Anthro" course for more than 12 years. We have two campuses (the main campus with about 1000 students, and our branch with about 600) and we alternate locations for the course each semester. In addition, in the off-semester, each campus then offers the other "Cultural Anthro." course. Some other colleges in our system have similar courses, but some have Biological Anthro, and Cultural, as their two courses... our college is one of the few that has a regular cycle of courses.

          Brian