RE: [SACC-L] SACC session at 2006 AAA meeting

  • Pamela Ford
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 20 2:20 PM
      How many schools offer that four-field intro course? It's uncommon in
      California. I really like the idea of the focus on a single course at
      AAA's, however.

      Pamela Ford
      Chair, Department for World Studies
      Mt. San Jacinto College
      1499 N. State Street
      San Jacinto, CA 92583
      800.624-5561 x 1533
      909.487-6752 x 1533

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 20 2:48 PM
        My college (Des Moines Area CC) has always offered the four/five-field
        intro. course. I think that California generally provides more support
        for anthropology (more full-time faculty, greater opportunity to
        specialize, etc.) than many other places. I think that AAG's idea is
        worth pursuing.

        My two-cents worth: I've always believed that in comm. coll., most
        students who take anthro. at all will take one course, e.g., we have
        only one crack at them. Therefore, we should make our general intro.
        course(s) the very best we can—up-to-date and interesting, with our
        best communicative skills and techniques, and relevant to larger world
        issues and events. Hence any sharing of this we could do at
        conferences would benefit us all.

        Lloyd Miller

        On Wednesday, April 20, 2005, at 04:20 PM, Pamela Ford wrote:

        > How many schools offer that four-field intro course? It's uncommon in
        > California. I really like the idea of the focus on a single course at
        > AAA's, however.
        >
        > Pamela Ford
        > Chair, Department for World Studies
        > Mt. San Jacinto College
        > 1499 N. State Street
        > San Jacinto, CA 92583
        > 800.624-5561 x 1533
        > 909.487-6752 x 1533

      • Hare, William
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 20 3:14 PM
          I teach a four-field course. We have two sections each fall and then
          two sections of cultural in the spring. My intro course is moving to a
          lecture/lab design with exercises for each of the subfields.

          Will Hare
          Three Rivers Community College
          Norwich, CT

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 20 4:18 PM
            I'd sure like to hear more about the lecture/lab design.

            I've taught in community college systems that offer general and others that
            offer, usually only, cultural. And part of what I've learned over the last
            year or so is that sociologists have done a much better job of getting
            support in community colleges than anthropologists have. I just recently
            visited a school where one of the administrators didn't even think
            anthropology would meet core curriculum requirements.

            Hmmm. This does sound like a session topic!!

            Cheers!
            Dianne

            Dianne Chidester

          • Donohue-Lynch, Brian
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 20 5:31 PM
              Our small college in northeastern CT has offered the five-field "Intro. to Anthro" course for more than 12 years. We have two campuses (the main campus with about 1000 students, and our branch with about 600) and we alternate locations for the course each semester. In addition, in the off-semester, each campus then offers the other "Cultural Anthro." course. Some other colleges in our system have similar courses, but some have Biological Anthro, and Cultural, as their two courses... our college is one of the few that has a regular cycle of courses.

              Brian