SACC session at 2006 AAA meeting

  • Melvin Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 20, 2005
      Greetings to all--wanted to report to the group about two things that
      occurred at the Association for American Geographers meeting that
      occurred the week after our meeting in Savannah.
      1. The AAG has a community college affinity group, I will be able to
      give you officer information when I get it. However, just a few
      comments about their group. They are 9 years old, and still searching
      for their focus, etc., They are also very broke. They get their money
      for operations directly from AAG--in others words they have no dues.
      They are anxious to get direction so that they can sponsor, co-sponsor,
      etc. sessions at the AAG's annual meeting which is in Chicago next
      spring 7-12 March. I told them about our annual meeting, they seemed
      interested, and so when their electronic newsletter comes out I will
      give that information to you also.
      2. The AAG had a very interesting session that I think we may want to
      consider something similar. Their session called "Around the World in
      44 Days" was geared toward the challenges of teaching the World Regional
      Geography course. Anyone who has taught this class knows of what I
      speak. Anyway, what about a session that is geared toward the
      challenges of teaching a specific class--such as Intro to Anthropology,
      Cultural Anthropology, etc. At the AAG, the moderator/facilitator, had
      developed a set of 10 questions regarding assessment, topics to be
      covered or deleted, themes for the class, etc. They had 9 panelists,
      about half taught at community colleges, one from West Point, and 3 or 4
      others from 4 year colleges. The session was excellent, literally
      standing room only, with people sitting on the floor.
      3. Anyway, some food for thought.

      Mel Johnson

    • Dorothy Davis DDBRUNER
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 20, 2005
        I think that the anthropology course that would be the best candidate for
        this approach is the 4 fields introductory course, or four for forty-four.

        Dorothy Davis
        Anthropology Department
        UNCG
        Tel- 256-1099

        Melvin Johnson <majohns@...>
        Sent by: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
        04/20/2005 01:24 PM
        Please respond to
        SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

        sacc-l@yahoogroups.com
        cc

        Subject
        [SACC-L] SACC session at 2006 AAA meeting

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Pamela Ford
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 20, 2005
          How many schools offer that four-field intro course? It's uncommon in
          California. I really like the idea of the focus on a single course at
          AAA's, however.

          Pamela Ford
          Chair, Department for World Studies
          Mt. San Jacinto College
          1499 N. State Street
          San Jacinto, CA 92583
          800.624-5561 x 1533
          909.487-6752 x 1533

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 20, 2005
            My college (Des Moines Area CC) has always offered the four/five-field
            intro. course. I think that California generally provides more support
            for anthropology (more full-time faculty, greater opportunity to
            specialize, etc.) than many other places. I think that AAG's idea is
            worth pursuing.

            My two-cents worth: I've always believed that in comm. coll., most
            students who take anthro. at all will take one course, e.g., we have
            only one crack at them. Therefore, we should make our general intro.
            course(s) the very best we can—up-to-date and interesting, with our
            best communicative skills and techniques, and relevant to larger world
            issues and events. Hence any sharing of this we could do at
            conferences would benefit us all.

            Lloyd Miller

            On Wednesday, April 20, 2005, at 04:20 PM, Pamela Ford wrote:

            > How many schools offer that four-field intro course? It's uncommon in
            > California. I really like the idea of the focus on a single course at
            > AAA's, however.
            >
            > Pamela Ford
            > Chair, Department for World Studies
            > Mt. San Jacinto College
            > 1499 N. State Street
            > San Jacinto, CA 92583
            > 800.624-5561 x 1533
            > 909.487-6752 x 1533

          • Hare, William
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 20, 2005
              I teach a four-field course. We have two sections each fall and then
              two sections of cultural in the spring. My intro course is moving to a
              lecture/lab design with exercises for each of the subfields.

              Will Hare
              Three Rivers Community College
              Norwich, CT

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 20, 2005
                I'd sure like to hear more about the lecture/lab design.

                I've taught in community college systems that offer general and others that
                offer, usually only, cultural. And part of what I've learned over the last
                year or so is that sociologists have done a much better job of getting
                support in community colleges than anthropologists have. I just recently
                visited a school where one of the administrators didn't even think
                anthropology would meet core curriculum requirements.

                Hmmm. This does sound like a session topic!!

                Cheers!
                Dianne

                Dianne Chidester

              • Donohue-Lynch, Brian
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 20, 2005
                  Our small college in northeastern CT has offered the five-field "Intro. to Anthro" course for more than 12 years. We have two campuses (the main campus with about 1000 students, and our branch with about 600) and we alternate locations for the course each semester. In addition, in the off-semester, each campus then offers the other "Cultural Anthro." course. Some other colleges in our system have similar courses, but some have Biological Anthro, and Cultural, as their two courses... our college is one of the few that has a regular cycle of courses.

                  Brian