Sweet-grass Baskets & Savannah

  • Dianne C
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2005
      Dear SACCers!

      One of the things we will see at the Penn Center and in our travels around
      Savannah are sweet-grass baskets. These are truly works of art for which
      the Low Country is well known. They are a traditional African style of
      basket weaving still being done by the Gullah and their descendents in the
      area.

      So, here is a website where you can get more information about the baskets.
      (We won't be going to Mt. Pleasant, but I'm sure we'll be seeing baskets as
      lovely as these.)

      http://www.sweetgrass-baskets.com

      These baskets are so important to the heritage of the Low Country that the
      McKissick Museum at the University of South Carolina exhibits them and has
      published an excellent source on them:

      Distributed for the McKissick Museum
      Row Upon Row
      Sea Grass Baskets of the South Carolina Lowcountry

      Dale Rosengarten

      8 1/2 x 11, 72 pages
      paper, ISBN 0-87249-956-1, $15.00t

      McKissick Collection

      FROM THE BOOK
      The persistence of the coiled sea grass basket tradition over a span of
      three centuries is a tribute to the African American basketmakers who value
      their craft as an important part of their cultural heritage and as a means
      of self-expression. The tradition faces many challenges from increasing
      modernization in the lowcountry. As better economic opportunities arise,
      daughters undoubtedly will turn away from the craft of their mothers and
      grandmothers to pursue more profitable work. But, according to one
      basketmaker reflecting on whether her children will continue the tradition,
      "It may be hard for them to see it, but days will come when they will sew
      baskets... This basket here is strictly just in the lowcountry, and if the
      generation don't take it up when we gone, it's going to die away. But, they
      will sew baskets. They will, time will come, they will sew."

      Just one more thing to look forward to in our exploration of the Low
      Country.

      Remember, you can still register for the meetings!

      See you in Savannah!

      Dianne Chidester, President
      Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges