Re: Help--Request for comparative enrollment numbers

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
      Thanks for all your replies and helpful notes.

      It is interesting to me how some states restrict curriculum more than
      others. In Minnesota, we seem to have more flexibility. Our transfer
      curriculum contains courses that can transfer in two ways--either as a
      course-to-course match or as 3 credits worth of "miscellaneous." Many
      students go on to small local private schools that teach no anthropology
      at all. In addition, my community college is trying to create an entire
      program of Environmental Studies, so there is more potential interest
      here in such courses as Human Ecology. Just yesterday in Social Science
      Division meeting, I found out that a Geography prof is planning on
      bringing back a dormant beginners' course called Introduction to Human
      Geography, and she was concerned that my proposal sounded too similar to
      her existing course. I promptly renamed my course as Ecological
      Anthropology (which we expect will adequately emphasize the differences
      for the administrative mind), and we are proposing it with a high course
      number so that learner outcomes can be more demanding (but still, no
      prerequisite, as I want any serious student to be able to master the
      course on its own).

      Bob Muckle mentioned a course called Anthropology and the Environment.
      That's a perfectly good match, so if any of you have anything on your
      course lists linking anthropology to environment or food or production,
      etc., that would interest me.

      I am getting enough information about archaeological methods courses.

      Thanks again,
      Deborah

      Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
      Anthropology and Sociology
      Anoka-Ramsey Community College
      Coon Rapids Campus
      email: deborah.shepherd@...
      http://www.ar.cc.mn.us/shepherd/
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 9, 2005
        Mark,
        I can't manage the SACC conference in 2005--not enough money
        accumulated (yet) for conferencing. (I'm relatively new at my
        institution.) I don't have specific information about the environmental
        program being developed at my institution. I believe that biology
        faculty are working on it. I hope I will hear more soon. Meanwhile, I'd
        be happy to share syllabi when I have them ready. A survey of curricula
        sounds very useful.

        Does SACC meet regularly at AAA meetings, also?

        Deborah

        Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 10:51:50 -0500
        From: "Lewine, Mark" <mark.lewine@...>
        Subject: RE: Help--Request for comparative enrollment numbers

        Deborah, I hope that you are coming to the SACC meeting in Savannah
        next
        month. Please lead a discussion on this topic or set some time aside
        for an informal discussion for those of us particularly interested...I
        am delighted to learn of the ecological anthropology venture! Please
        share a syllabus and ideas for programs at your community college that
        will connect to it (we have an Environmental Tech program for example)
        Archaeology courses are of course more common. As VP of SACC, I am
        working with AAA to survey faculty at community colleges about
        curriculum as well as other basic information so that our organization
        can be of more help and support such efforts as yours.

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 10, 2005
          Yes- but we get much more done, learn much more, and enjoy each other
          much more at our SACC conferences...several of the past AAA presidents
          and Bill Davis have attended our meetings and cited us as the model!
          Try and make is somehow, this one will be outstanding!

[...]

          Sorry for all the details, but this could make the difference whether I
          get my courses, or not. You can email me directly at:
          deborah.shepherd@...

          Your information will only be transmitted internally to the Anoka-Ramsey
          Curriculum Committee. I really appreciate all the help I get on this.

          Thanks!
          Deborah

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 10, 2005
            Deborah, many of us are getting toward retirement and we are on the
            lookout for leadership talent- please consider running for office
            soon...