RE: [SACC-L] Help--Request for comparative enrollment numbers

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
      Deborah, I hope that you are coming to the SACC meeting in Savannah next
      month. Please lead a discussion on this topic or set some time aside
      for an informal discussion for those of us particularly interested...I
      am delighted to learn of the ecological anthropology venture! Please
      share a syllabus and ideas for programs at your community college that
      will connect to it (we have an Environmental Tech program for example)
      Archaeology courses are of course more common. As VP of SACC, I am
      working with AAA to survey faculty at community colleges about
      curriculum as well as other basic information so that our organization
      can be of more help and support such efforts as yours.

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
        Thanks for all your replies and helpful notes.

        It is interesting to me how some states restrict curriculum more than
        others. In Minnesota, we seem to have more flexibility. Our transfer
        curriculum contains courses that can transfer in two ways--either as a
        course-to-course match or as 3 credits worth of "miscellaneous." Many
        students go on to small local private schools that teach no anthropology
        at all. In addition, my community college is trying to create an entire
        program of Environmental Studies, so there is more potential interest
        here in such courses as Human Ecology. Just yesterday in Social Science
        Division meeting, I found out that a Geography prof is planning on
        bringing back a dormant beginners' course called Introduction to Human
        Geography, and she was concerned that my proposal sounded too similar to
        her existing course. I promptly renamed my course as Ecological
        Anthropology (which we expect will adequately emphasize the differences
        for the administrative mind), and we are proposing it with a high course
        number so that learner outcomes can be more demanding (but still, no
        prerequisite, as I want any serious student to be able to master the
        course on its own).

        Bob Muckle mentioned a course called Anthropology and the Environment.
        That's a perfectly good match, so if any of you have anything on your
        course lists linking anthropology to environment or food or production,
        etc., that would interest me.

        I am getting enough information about archaeological methods courses.

        Thanks again,
        Deborah

        Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
        Anthropology and Sociology
        Anoka-Ramsey Community College
        Coon Rapids Campus
        email: deborah.shepherd@...
        http://www.ar.cc.mn.us/shepherd/
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 9, 2005
          Mark,
          I can't manage the SACC conference in 2005--not enough money
          accumulated (yet) for conferencing. (I'm relatively new at my
          institution.) I don't have specific information about the environmental
          program being developed at my institution. I believe that biology
          faculty are working on it. I hope I will hear more soon. Meanwhile, I'd
          be happy to share syllabi when I have them ready. A survey of curricula
          sounds very useful.

          Does SACC meet regularly at AAA meetings, also?

          Deborah

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 10, 2005
            Yes- but we get much more done, learn much more, and enjoy each other
            much more at our SACC conferences...several of the past AAA presidents
            and Bill Davis have attended our meetings and cited us as the model!
            Try and make is somehow, this one will be outstanding!

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 10, 2005
              Deborah, many of us are getting toward retirement and we are on the
              lookout for leadership talent- please consider running for office
              soon...