Re: [SACC-L] Help--Request for comparative enrollment numbers

  • Robert Muckle
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 7, 2005
      Deborah,

      It isn't exactly what you asked for, but here is some information that
      may help your case.

      "In terms of 'head counts,' most archaeology in the U.S. today is
      taught in social science divisions in community colleges that typically
      lack formal anthropology and/or archaeology programs, often to gain
      admission to a 4-year university or college that has them."

      The quote is from an article called "Status, Context, and History in
      American Academic Archaeology" by G.A. Clark in The SAA Archaeological
      Record, vol 4, number 2, pp. 9-12. 2004.

      On my bookshelf I count 17 different books designed as the primary text
      for an introductory course in archaeological method and theory (not
      counting multiple editions, and the oldest being published in 1993). If
      the course isn't being taught much in Minnesota, it certainly is
      elsewhere.

      In my neck of the woods (British Columbia, Canada) archaeology tends to
      outdraw biological anth. I know it is outside the U.S., but at my
      college (Capilano College) we offer Anth 123 (Introduction to
      Archaeology), which has no prerequisite. We offer an average of five
      sections of Anth 123 per year at a capped enrolment of 35 students per
      class (ie. 175 students per year). We could easily fill more classes. We
      also offer three second year archaeology courses.

      We have a course probably similar to your 'Ecological Anthropology'
      called Anthropology and the Environment (Anth 202). It has no
      prerequisite and we don't offer it on an irregular basis. When we do, it
      fills to capacity (35 students).

      Bob

      >>> deborah.shepherd@... 2/7/2005 2:01:52 PM >>>

      Dear List-Mates,

      This message is similar to one I sent to the list last fall, but now I
      have a much more specific question.

      I need some sample enrollments for courses at other community colleges
      that match two courses I am trying to put through committee at my
      institution.

      I teach at Anoka-Ramsey Community College just north of Minneapolis
      where we have only two anthro courses: Introduction to Cultural
      Anthropology and Introduction to Physical Anthropology. I am proposing
      two additional courses: Ecological Anthropology and Principles of
      Archaeology. One basic question I must answer for the curriculum
      committee is: are these courses taught at comparable schools? I have
      data from Minnesota 4-year colleges, but none of our community
      colleges
      seem to teach an Ecological Anthropology course (or anything
      comparable)
      and few teach archaeological method and theory. I want to demonstrate
      that it is not unreasonable for a community college (somewhere in the
      U.S.) to offer these two courses.

      If you teach courses at your community college on either or both of
      these topics (regardless of title!), I'd be grateful for the following
      information:
      Institution (and state):
      Course Title and Number:
      Average Enrollment:
      Is there a cap on enrollment?:
      Is there a course prerequisite?:

      Sorry for all the details, but this could make the difference whether
      get my courses, or not. You can email me directly at:
      deborah.shepherd@...

      Your information will only be transmitted internally to the
      Anoka-Ramsey Curriculum Committee. I really appreciate all the help I
      get on this.

      Thanks!
      Deborah

      Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
      Anthropology and Sociology
      Anoka-Ramsey Community College
      Coon Rapids Campus
      email: deborah.shepherd@...
      http://www.ar.cc.mn.us/shepherd/

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
        Deborah, I hope that you are coming to the SACC meeting in Savannah next
        month. Please lead a discussion on this topic or set some time aside
        for an informal discussion for those of us particularly interested...I
        am delighted to learn of the ecological anthropology venture! Please
        share a syllabus and ideas for programs at your community college that
        will connect to it (we have an Environmental Tech program for example)
        Archaeology courses are of course more common. As VP of SACC, I am
        working with AAA to survey faculty at community colleges about
        curriculum as well as other basic information so that our organization
        can be of more help and support such efforts as yours.

[...]

        Sorry for all the details, but this could make the difference whether I

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
          Thanks for all your replies and helpful notes.

          It is interesting to me how some states restrict curriculum more than
          others. In Minnesota, we seem to have more flexibility. Our transfer
          curriculum contains courses that can transfer in two ways--either as a
          course-to-course match or as 3 credits worth of "miscellaneous." Many
          students go on to small local private schools that teach no anthropology
          at all. In addition, my community college is trying to create an entire
          program of Environmental Studies, so there is more potential interest
          here in such courses as Human Ecology. Just yesterday in Social Science
          Division meeting, I found out that a Geography prof is planning on
          bringing back a dormant beginners' course called Introduction to Human
          Geography, and she was concerned that my proposal sounded too similar to
          her existing course. I promptly renamed my course as Ecological
          Anthropology (which we expect will adequately emphasize the differences
          for the administrative mind), and we are proposing it with a high course
          number so that learner outcomes can be more demanding (but still, no
          prerequisite, as I want any serious student to be able to master the
          course on its own).

          Bob Muckle mentioned a course called Anthropology and the Environment.
          That's a perfectly good match, so if any of you have anything on your
          course lists linking anthropology to environment or food or production,
          etc., that would interest me.

          I am getting enough information about archaeological methods courses.

          Thanks again,

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 9, 2005
            Mark,
            I can't manage the SACC conference in 2005--not enough money
            accumulated (yet) for conferencing. (I'm relatively new at my
            institution.) I don't have specific information about the environmental
            program being developed at my institution. I believe that biology
            faculty are working on it. I hope I will hear more soon. Meanwhile, I'd
            be happy to share syllabi when I have them ready. A survey of curricula
            sounds very useful.

            Does SACC meet regularly at AAA meetings, also?

            Deborah

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 10, 2005
              Yes- but we get much more done, learn much more, and enjoy each other
              much more at our SACC conferences...several of the past AAA presidents
              and Bill Davis have attended our meetings and cited us as the model!
              Try and make is somehow, this one will be outstanding!

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 10, 2005
                Deborah, many of us are getting toward retirement and we are on the
                lookout for leadership talent- please consider running for office
                soon...