RE: [SACC-L] Help--Request for comparative enrollment numbers

  • gbagwell
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 7, 2005
      Deborah,

      All of Colorado's community colleges recently concluded an exhaustive
      effort to determine a common curriculum with common course titles,
      codes, descriptions, and learning objectives. The Colorado Community
      Colleges Common Courses is accessible online at
      http://www.cccs.edu/cccns/Home.html
      Follow the links to ANT and see the list of 18 courses.

      Only two courses in anthropology are guaranteed to transfer to satisfy
      General Education requirements at four-year schools by the Colorado
      Commission on Higher Education: Cultural Anthropology and Physical
      Anthropology. The rest are now commonly recognized electives for
      two-year degrees. Introduction to Archaeology will be proposed to be
      added as a guaranteed transfer course.

      Hope this helps,
      George Bagwell, Prof.
      Colorado Mountain College

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 7, 2005
        Deborah,

        It isn't exactly what you asked for, but here is some information that
        may help your case.

        "In terms of 'head counts,' most archaeology in the U.S. today is
        taught in social science divisions in community colleges that typically
        lack formal anthropology and/or archaeology programs, often to gain
        admission to a 4-year university or college that has them."

        The quote is from an article called "Status, Context, and History in
        American Academic Archaeology" by G.A. Clark in The SAA Archaeological
        Record, vol 4, number 2, pp. 9-12. 2004.

        On my bookshelf I count 17 different books designed as the primary text
        for an introductory course in archaeological method and theory (not
        counting multiple editions, and the oldest being published in 1993). If
        the course isn't being taught much in Minnesota, it certainly is
        elsewhere.

        In my neck of the woods (British Columbia, Canada) archaeology tends to
        outdraw biological anth. I know it is outside the U.S., but at my
        college (Capilano College) we offer Anth 123 (Introduction to
        Archaeology), which has no prerequisite. We offer an average of five
        sections of Anth 123 per year at a capped enrolment of 35 students per
        class (ie. 175 students per year). We could easily fill more classes. We
        also offer three second year archaeology courses.

        We have a course probably similar to your 'Ecological Anthropology'
        called Anthropology and the Environment (Anth 202). It has no
        prerequisite and we don't offer it on an irregular basis. When we do, it
        fills to capacity (35 students).

        Bob

        >>> deborah.shepherd@... 2/7/2005 2:01:52 PM >>>

[...]

        Coon Rapids Campus
        email: deborah.shepherd@...
        http://www.ar.cc.mn.us/shepherd/

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
          Deborah, I hope that you are coming to the SACC meeting in Savannah next
          month. Please lead a discussion on this topic or set some time aside
          for an informal discussion for those of us particularly interested...I
          am delighted to learn of the ecological anthropology venture! Please
          share a syllabus and ideas for programs at your community college that
          will connect to it (we have an Environmental Tech program for example)
          Archaeology courses are of course more common. As VP of SACC, I am
          working with AAA to survey faculty at community colleges about
          curriculum as well as other basic information so that our organization
          can be of more help and support such efforts as yours.

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
            Thanks for all your replies and helpful notes.

            It is interesting to me how some states restrict curriculum more than
            others. In Minnesota, we seem to have more flexibility. Our transfer
            curriculum contains courses that can transfer in two ways--either as a
            course-to-course match or as 3 credits worth of "miscellaneous." Many
            students go on to small local private schools that teach no anthropology
            at all. In addition, my community college is trying to create an entire
            program of Environmental Studies, so there is more potential interest
            here in such courses as Human Ecology. Just yesterday in Social Science
            Division meeting, I found out that a Geography prof is planning on
            bringing back a dormant beginners' course called Introduction to Human
            Geography, and she was concerned that my proposal sounded too similar to
            her existing course. I promptly renamed my course as Ecological
            Anthropology (which we expect will adequately emphasize the differences
            for the administrative mind), and we are proposing it with a high course
            number so that learner outcomes can be more demanding (but still, no
            prerequisite, as I want any serious student to be able to master the
            course on its own).

            Bob Muckle mentioned a course called Anthropology and the Environment.
            That's a perfectly good match, so if any of you have anything on your
            course lists linking anthropology to environment or food or production,
            etc., that would interest me.

            I am getting enough information about archaeological methods courses.

            Thanks again,

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 9, 2005
              Mark,
              I can't manage the SACC conference in 2005--not enough money
              accumulated (yet) for conferencing. (I'm relatively new at my
              institution.) I don't have specific information about the environmental
              program being developed at my institution. I believe that biology
              faculty are working on it. I hope I will hear more soon. Meanwhile, I'd
              be happy to share syllabi when I have them ready. A survey of curricula
              sounds very useful.

              Does SACC meet regularly at AAA meetings, also?

              Deborah

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 10, 2005
                Yes- but we get much more done, learn much more, and enjoy each other
                much more at our SACC conferences...several of the past AAA presidents
                and Bill Davis have attended our meetings and cited us as the model!
                Try and make is somehow, this one will be outstanding!

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 10, 2005
                  Deborah, many of us are getting toward retirement and we are on the
                  lookout for leadership talent- please consider running for office
                  soon...