Help--Request for comparative enrollment numbers

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 7, 2005
      Dear List-Mates,

      This message is similar to one I sent to the list last fall, but now I
      have a much more specific question.

      I need some sample enrollments for courses at other community colleges
      that match two courses I am trying to put through committee at my
      institution.

      I teach at Anoka-Ramsey Community College just north of Minneapolis
      where we have only two anthro courses: Introduction to Cultural
      Anthropology and Introduction to Physical Anthropology. I am proposing
      two additional courses: Ecological Anthropology and Principles of
      Archaeology. One basic question I must answer for the curriculum
      committee is: are these courses taught at comparable schools? I have
      data from Minnesota 4-year colleges, but none of our community colleges
      seem to teach an Ecological Anthropology course (or anything comparable)
      and few teach archaeological method and theory. I want to demonstrate
      that it is not unreasonable for a community college (somewhere in the
      U.S.) to offer these two courses.

      If you teach courses at your community college on either or both of
      these topics (regardless of title!), I'd be grateful for the following
      information:
      Institution (and state):
      Course Title and Number:
      Average Enrollment:
      Is there a cap on enrollment?:
      Is there a course prerequisite?:

      Sorry for all the details, but this could make the difference whether I
      get my courses, or not. You can email me directly at:
      deborah.shepherd@...

      Your information will only be transmitted internally to the
      Anoka-Ramsey Curriculum Committee. I really appreciate all the help I
      get on this.

      Thanks!
      Deborah

      Deborah J. Shepherd, Ph.D.
      Anthropology and Sociology
      Anoka-Ramsey Community College
      Coon Rapids Campus
      email: deborah.shepherd@...
      http://www.ar.cc.mn.us/shepherd/
    • gbagwell
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 7, 2005
        Deborah,

        All of Colorado's community colleges recently concluded an exhaustive
        effort to determine a common curriculum with common course titles,
        codes, descriptions, and learning objectives. The Colorado Community
        Colleges Common Courses is accessible online at
        http://www.cccs.edu/cccns/Home.html
        Follow the links to ANT and see the list of 18 courses.

        Only two courses in anthropology are guaranteed to transfer to satisfy
        General Education requirements at four-year schools by the Colorado
        Commission on Higher Education: Cultural Anthropology and Physical
        Anthropology. The rest are now commonly recognized electives for
        two-year degrees. Introduction to Archaeology will be proposed to be
        added as a guaranteed transfer course.

        Hope this helps,
        George Bagwell, Prof.
        Colorado Mountain College

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1298dpege/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/
        D=groups/S=1705079605:HM/EXP=1107900151/A=2532114/R=2/SIG=12k2b0kte/*htt
        p:/clk.atdmt.com/NFX/go/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=1107813751
        825390>

        <http://view.atdmt.com/NFX/view/yhxxxnfx0020000014nfx/direct/01/&time=11
        07813751825390>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=group
        s/S=:HM/A=2532114/rand=658306199>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Robert Muckle
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 7, 2005
          Deborah,

          It isn't exactly what you asked for, but here is some information that
          may help your case.

          "In terms of 'head counts,' most archaeology in the U.S. today is
          taught in social science divisions in community colleges that typically
          lack formal anthropology and/or archaeology programs, often to gain
          admission to a 4-year university or college that has them."

          The quote is from an article called "Status, Context, and History in
          American Academic Archaeology" by G.A. Clark in The SAA Archaeological
          Record, vol 4, number 2, pp. 9-12. 2004.

          On my bookshelf I count 17 different books designed as the primary text
          for an introductory course in archaeological method and theory (not
          counting multiple editions, and the oldest being published in 1993). If
          the course isn't being taught much in Minnesota, it certainly is
          elsewhere.

          In my neck of the woods (British Columbia, Canada) archaeology tends to
          outdraw biological anth. I know it is outside the U.S., but at my
          college (Capilano College) we offer Anth 123 (Introduction to
          Archaeology), which has no prerequisite. We offer an average of five
          sections of Anth 123 per year at a capped enrolment of 35 students per
          class (ie. 175 students per year). We could easily fill more classes. We
          also offer three second year archaeology courses.

          We have a course probably similar to your 'Ecological Anthropology'
          called Anthropology and the Environment (Anth 202). It has no
          prerequisite and we don't offer it on an irregular basis. When we do, it
          fills to capacity (35 students).

          Bob

          >>> deborah.shepherd@... 2/7/2005 2:01:52 PM >>>

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
            Deborah, I hope that you are coming to the SACC meeting in Savannah next
            month. Please lead a discussion on this topic or set some time aside
            for an informal discussion for those of us particularly interested...I
            am delighted to learn of the ecological anthropology venture! Please
            share a syllabus and ideas for programs at your community college that
            will connect to it (we have an Environmental Tech program for example)
            Archaeology courses are of course more common. As VP of SACC, I am
            working with AAA to survey faculty at community colleges about
            curriculum as well as other basic information so that our organization
            can be of more help and support such efforts as yours.

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 8, 2005
              Thanks for all your replies and helpful notes.

              It is interesting to me how some states restrict curriculum more than
              others. In Minnesota, we seem to have more flexibility. Our transfer
              curriculum contains courses that can transfer in two ways--either as a
              course-to-course match or as 3 credits worth of "miscellaneous." Many
              students go on to small local private schools that teach no anthropology
              at all. In addition, my community college is trying to create an entire
              program of Environmental Studies, so there is more potential interest
              here in such courses as Human Ecology. Just yesterday in Social Science
              Division meeting, I found out that a Geography prof is planning on
              bringing back a dormant beginners' course called Introduction to Human
              Geography, and she was concerned that my proposal sounded too similar to
              her existing course. I promptly renamed my course as Ecological
              Anthropology (which we expect will adequately emphasize the differences
              for the administrative mind), and we are proposing it with a high course
              number so that learner outcomes can be more demanding (but still, no
              prerequisite, as I want any serious student to be able to master the
              course on its own).

              Bob Muckle mentioned a course called Anthropology and the Environment.
              That's a perfectly good match, so if any of you have anything on your
              course lists linking anthropology to environment or food or production,
              etc., that would interest me.

              I am getting enough information about archaeological methods courses.

              Thanks again,

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 9, 2005
                Mark,
                I can't manage the SACC conference in 2005--not enough money
                accumulated (yet) for conferencing. (I'm relatively new at my
                institution.) I don't have specific information about the environmental
                program being developed at my institution. I believe that biology
                faculty are working on it. I hope I will hear more soon. Meanwhile, I'd
                be happy to share syllabi when I have them ready. A survey of curricula
                sounds very useful.

                Does SACC meet regularly at AAA meetings, also?

                Deborah

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 10, 2005
                  Yes- but we get much more done, learn much more, and enjoy each other
                  much more at our SACC conferences...several of the past AAA presidents
                  and Bill Davis have attended our meetings and cited us as the model!
                  Try and make is somehow, this one will be outstanding!

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 10, 2005
                    Deborah, many of us are getting toward retirement and we are on the
                    lookout for leadership talent- please consider running for office
                    soon...