RE: [SACC-L] archaeology book

  • Pamela Ford
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 18, 2005
      "College" should be fine here.

      I'd be happy to be a reviewer if the publisher needs more.

      Congrats on being almost done!

      Pamela Ford
      Chair, Department for World Studies
      Mt. San Jacinto College
      1499 N. State Street
      San Jacinto, CA 92583
      800.624-5561 x 1533
      909.487-6752 x 1533

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 18, 2005
        Hey Bob,
        Sorry to be a 'nattering nabob of negativism' ( quote from former
        V. P. Spiro Agnew, during the time of Richard Nixon ) but I think your
        proposed title "College Archaeology" is too dry and pedantic. It seems
        to imply a split between high school level archaeology and college
        level archaeology, which doesn't exist in the U. S., because as far as
        I know, there is very little high school level archaeology taught
        anywhere in the U. S. So your title creates a false dichotemy. You
        need a more descriptive title with some 'pizazz', along the lines of
        Ken Feder's "The Past in Perspective". Just my two cents.
        Of course, I want to wish you all the best of luck with your
        textbook project.
        Regards,
        Barry Kass-

        -- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Muckle" <bmuckle@c...> wrote:
        > I have two questions in regard to an introductory level archaeology
        > textbook I have almost finished writing.
        > The text is meant for introductory courses in archaeological method and
        > theory but there will also be a chapter on world prehistory and ancient
        > civilizations. As some of you know, I am a Canadian, teaching at a
        > Canadian college, and the book is being published by a Canadian company
        > (Broadview Press), with a distribution network in the U.S. I anticipate
        > that most sales will be in the U.S. I want to target the community
        > college market. I am writing it with community college instructors and
        > students in mind.
        >
        > The first question is - What do you think about the title 'College
        > Archaeology.' I think the word 'college' has different meanings in
        > Canada and the U.S. In Canada, with few exceptions, it is really only
        > in the province of British Columbia (where I am) that community colleges
        > exist based on the U.S. model (ie. students take courses which then
        > transfer to universities). In the other provinces and territories of
        > Canada, colleges are primarily considered to be vocational or trade
        > institutes. Thus, in Canada, at best 'college' means a two-year
        > institution with maybe some university-level courses. I am under the
        > impression that in the U.S. 'college' is more of an umbrella term for
        > two-year community colleges, four-year colleges, and universities. If I
        > am right in this, then giving the title 'College Archaeology' shouldn't
        > hinder sales in the U.S. If you have any thoughts on this, please let
        > me know.
        >
        > The second question is - Would you like to put your name forward or
        > suggest someone as a reviewer of the ms? The publisher will be sending
        > out the ms to a few archaeologists to make certain that the book is
        > worthy. I want to make certain the ms gets into the hands of at least
        > one or two instructors who teach archaeology at a U.S. community
        > college. I have no idea whether the publisher will be paying for the
        > review.
        >
        > Bob Muckle
      • Ann Kaupp
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 24, 2005
          Bob, I contacted Education Manager Maureen Malloy at SAA and she had this to
          suggest about getting your book out there:

          -the publisher can send it to the book review editor for American
          Antiquity: Douglas B. Bamforth, Anthropology Department, 233 UCB,
          University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309-0233,
          douglas.bamforth@...
          303-651-9647

          If he, or the publisher, is looking for peer review or input on the
          manuscript, I suggest contacting Anne Pyburn or someone else from the
          SAA MATRIX project as they were all about reforming undergrad.
          archaeology education. (Shereen Lerner was another member)

          BOB, SHEREEN LERNER'S email is slerner@...
          According to the 2002-03 AAA Guide, Pyburn is at Indiana Univ.
          apyburn@...
          Ann

        • Robert Muckle
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 24, 2005
            Ann,

            Thanks for the great ideas. They are much appreciated. Just by
            coincidence I was looking at the SAA preliminary program for Salt Lake
            City when your email arrived. It looks like a good program. Will you be
            going to Salt Lake City or Savanna? You can't do both you know.

            Bob

            >>> Kaupp.Ann@... 1/24/2005 12:16:23 PM >>>

            Bob, I contacted Education Manager Maureen Malloy at SAA and she had
            this to
            suggest about getting your book out there:

            -the publisher can send it to the book review editor for American
            Antiquity: Douglas B. Bamforth, Anthropology Department, 233 UCB,
            University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309-0233,
            douglas.bamforth@...
            303-651-9647

            If he, or the publisher, is looking for peer review or input on the
            manuscript, I suggest contacting Anne Pyburn or someone else from the
            SAA MATRIX project as they were all about reforming undergrad.
            archaeology education. (Shereen Lerner was another member)

            BOB, SHEREEN LERNER'S email is slerner@...
            According to the 2002-03 AAA Guide, Pyburn is at Indiana Univ.
            apyburn@...
            Ann

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Ann Kaupp

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 25, 2005
                Hey Ann, glad to hear you're going to Savannah. Look forward to seeing
                you there.
                Lloyd

                On Monday, January 24, 2005, at 02:57 PM, Ann Kaupp wrote:

                > I'm coming to Savannah. What about you?

                > Ann,
                >
                > Thanks for the great ideas. They are much appreciated. Just by
                > coincidence I was looking at the SAA preliminary program for Salt Lake
                > City when your email arrived. It looks like a good program. Will you be
                > going to Salt Lake City or Savanna? You can't do both you know.
                >
                > Bob

                > Bob, I contacted Education Manager Maureen Malloy at SAA and she had
                > this to
                > suggest about getting your book out there:
                >
                > -the publisher can send it to the book review editor for American
                > Antiquity: Douglas B. Bamforth, Anthropology Department, 233 UCB,
                > University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309-0233,
                > douglas.bamforth@...
                > 303-651-9647
                >
                > If he, or the publisher, is looking for peer review or input on the
                > manuscript, I suggest contacting Anne Pyburn or someone else from the
                > SAA MATRIX project as they were all about reforming undergrad.
                > archaeology education. (Shereen Lerner was another member)
                >
                > BOB, SHEREEN LERNER'S email is slerner@...
                > According to the 2002-03 AAA Guide, Pyburn is at Indiana Univ.
                > apyburn@...
                > Ann

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Ann Kaupp
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 25, 2005
                  Hi Lloyd, Bob inadvertently responded to my correspondence to the listserve.
                  I'm looking forward to the meeting and will give a paper on Bob Humphrey's
                  work. Glad you will be there as well. Ann

                  >>> lloyd.miller@... 01/25 10:25 AM >>>

                  Hey Ann, glad to hear you're going to Savannah. Look forward to seeing
                  you there.
                  Lloyd

                  On Monday, January 24, 2005, at 02:57 PM, Ann Kaupp wrote:

                  > I'm coming to Savannah. What about you?

                  > Ann,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the great ideas. They are much appreciated. Just by
                  > coincidence I was looking at the SAA preliminary program for Salt Lake
                  > City when your email arrived. It looks like a good program. Will you be
                  > going to Salt Lake City or Savanna? You can't do both you know.
                  >
                  > Bob

                  > Bob, I contacted Education Manager Maureen Malloy at SAA and she had
                  > this to
                  > suggest about getting your book out there:
                  >
                  > -the publisher can send it to the book review editor for American
                  > Antiquity: Douglas B. Bamforth, Anthropology Department, 233 UCB,
                  > University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309-0233,
                  > douglas.bamforth@...
                  > 303-651-9647
                  >
                  > If he, or the publisher, is looking for peer review or input on the
                  > manuscript, I suggest contacting Anne Pyburn or someone else from the
                  > SAA MATRIX project as they were all about reforming undergrad.
                  > archaeology education. (Shereen Lerner was another member)
                  >
                  > BOB, SHEREEN LERNER'S email is slerner@...
                  > According to the 2002-03 AAA Guide, Pyburn is at Indiana Univ.
                  > apyburn@...
                  > Ann

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links