archaeology book

  • Robert Muckle
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 17, 2005
      I have two questions in regard to an introductory level archaeology
      textbook I have almost finished writing.
      The text is meant for introductory courses in archaeological method and
      theory but there will also be a chapter on world prehistory and ancient
      civilizations. As some of you know, I am a Canadian, teaching at a
      Canadian college, and the book is being published by a Canadian company
      (Broadview Press), with a distribution network in the U.S. I anticipate
      that most sales will be in the U.S. I want to target the community
      college market. I am writing it with community college instructors and
      students in mind.

      The first question is - What do you think about the title 'College
      Archaeology.' I think the word 'college' has different meanings in
      Canada and the U.S. In Canada, with few exceptions, it is really only
      in the province of British Columbia (where I am) that community colleges
      exist based on the U.S. model (ie. students take courses which then
      transfer to universities). In the other provinces and territories of
      Canada, colleges are primarily considered to be vocational or trade
      institutes. Thus, in Canada, at best 'college' means a two-year
      institution with maybe some university-level courses. I am under the
      impression that in the U.S. 'college' is more of an umbrella term for
      two-year community colleges, four-year colleges, and universities. If I
      am right in this, then giving the title 'College Archaeology' shouldn't
      hinder sales in the U.S. If you have any thoughts on this, please let
      me know.

      The second question is - Would you like to put your name forward or
      suggest someone as a reviewer of the ms? The publisher will be sending
      out the ms to a few archaeologists to make certain that the book is
      worthy. I want to make certain the ms gets into the hands of at least
      one or two instructors who teach archaeology at a U.S. community
      college. I have no idea whether the publisher will be paying for the
      review.

      Bob Muckle
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 18, 2005
        Yes- good title; it connotes archaeology for college students as opposed
        to high school or lay amateurs or any other category-only problem will
        be with the american cc faculty who think that college-level writing is
        too hard for their students! Yes, of course I will be of any assistance
        that you need or want...if you have alternative faculty to use, I will
        not be insulted, but will be glad to do whatever you need.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Melvin Johnson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 18, 2005
          Bob,
          I have done some reviewing of manuscripts in the past, if I can be of
          assistance let me know. Do not worry if you have other choices for
          reviewers. I will not be insulted. Look forward to seeing you in Savannah.
          Mel

          "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death." --Mame
          Dennis

        • Pamela Ford
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 18, 2005
            "College" should be fine here.

            I'd be happy to be a reviewer if the publisher needs more.

            Congrats on being almost done!

            Pamela Ford
            Chair, Department for World Studies
            Mt. San Jacinto College
            1499 N. State Street
            San Jacinto, CA 92583
            800.624-5561 x 1533
            909.487-6752 x 1533

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 18, 2005
              Hey Bob,
              Sorry to be a 'nattering nabob of negativism' ( quote from former
              V. P. Spiro Agnew, during the time of Richard Nixon ) but I think your
              proposed title "College Archaeology" is too dry and pedantic. It seems
              to imply a split between high school level archaeology and college
              level archaeology, which doesn't exist in the U. S., because as far as
              I know, there is very little high school level archaeology taught
              anywhere in the U. S. So your title creates a false dichotemy. You
              need a more descriptive title with some 'pizazz', along the lines of
              Ken Feder's "The Past in Perspective". Just my two cents.
              Of course, I want to wish you all the best of luck with your
              textbook project.
              Regards,
              Barry Kass-

              -- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Muckle" <bmuckle@c...> wrote:
              > I have two questions in regard to an introductory level archaeology
              > textbook I have almost finished writing.
              > The text is meant for introductory courses in archaeological method and
              > theory but there will also be a chapter on world prehistory and ancient
              > civilizations. As some of you know, I am a Canadian, teaching at a
              > Canadian college, and the book is being published by a Canadian company
              > (Broadview Press), with a distribution network in the U.S. I anticipate
              > that most sales will be in the U.S. I want to target the community
              > college market. I am writing it with community college instructors and
              > students in mind.
              >
              > The first question is - What do you think about the title 'College
              > Archaeology.' I think the word 'college' has different meanings in
              > Canada and the U.S. In Canada, with few exceptions, it is really only
              > in the province of British Columbia (where I am) that community colleges
              > exist based on the U.S. model (ie. students take courses which then
              > transfer to universities). In the other provinces and territories of
              > Canada, colleges are primarily considered to be vocational or trade
              > institutes. Thus, in Canada, at best 'college' means a two-year
              > institution with maybe some university-level courses. I am under the
              > impression that in the U.S. 'college' is more of an umbrella term for
              > two-year community colleges, four-year colleges, and universities. If I
              > am right in this, then giving the title 'College Archaeology' shouldn't
              > hinder sales in the U.S. If you have any thoughts on this, please let
              > me know.
              >
              > The second question is - Would you like to put your name forward or
              > suggest someone as a reviewer of the ms? The publisher will be sending
              > out the ms to a few archaeologists to make certain that the book is
              > worthy. I want to make certain the ms gets into the hands of at least
              > one or two instructors who teach archaeology at a U.S. community
              > college. I have no idea whether the publisher will be paying for the
              > review.
              >
              > Bob Muckle
            • Ann Kaupp
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 24, 2005
                Bob, I contacted Education Manager Maureen Malloy at SAA and she had this to
                suggest about getting your book out there:

                -the publisher can send it to the book review editor for American
                Antiquity: Douglas B. Bamforth, Anthropology Department, 233 UCB,
                University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309-0233,
                douglas.bamforth@...
                303-651-9647

                If he, or the publisher, is looking for peer review or input on the
                manuscript, I suggest contacting Anne Pyburn or someone else from the
                SAA MATRIX project as they were all about reforming undergrad.
                archaeology education. (Shereen Lerner was another member)

                BOB, SHEREEN LERNER'S email is slerner@...
                According to the 2002-03 AAA Guide, Pyburn is at Indiana Univ.
                apyburn@...
                Ann

              • Robert Muckle
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 24, 2005
                  Ann,

                  Thanks for the great ideas. They are much appreciated. Just by
                  coincidence I was looking at the SAA preliminary program for Salt Lake
                  City when your email arrived. It looks like a good program. Will you be
                  going to Salt Lake City or Savanna? You can't do both you know.

                  Bob

                  >>> Kaupp.Ann@... 1/24/2005 12:16:23 PM >>>

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 25, 2005
                      Hey Ann, glad to hear you're going to Savannah. Look forward to seeing
                      you there.
                      Lloyd

                      On Monday, January 24, 2005, at 02:57 PM, Ann Kaupp wrote:

                      > I'm coming to Savannah. What about you?

                      > Ann,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the great ideas. They are much appreciated. Just by
                      > coincidence I was looking at the SAA preliminary program for Salt Lake
                      > City when your email arrived. It looks like a good program. Will you be
                      > going to Salt Lake City or Savanna? You can't do both you know.
                      >
                      > Bob

                      > Bob, I contacted Education Manager Maureen Malloy at SAA and she had
                      > this to
                      > suggest about getting your book out there:
                      >
                      > -the publisher can send it to the book review editor for American
                      > Antiquity: Douglas B. Bamforth, Anthropology Department, 233 UCB,
                      > University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309-0233,
                      > douglas.bamforth@...
                      > 303-651-9647
                      >
                      > If he, or the publisher, is looking for peer review or input on the
                      > manuscript, I suggest contacting Anne Pyburn or someone else from the
                      > SAA MATRIX project as they were all about reforming undergrad.
                      > archaeology education. (Shereen Lerner was another member)
                      >
                      > BOB, SHEREEN LERNER'S email is slerner@...
                      > According to the 2002-03 AAA Guide, Pyburn is at Indiana Univ.
                      > apyburn@...
                      > Ann

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Ann Kaupp
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 25, 2005
                        Hi Lloyd, Bob inadvertently responded to my correspondence to the listserve.
                        I'm looking forward to the meeting and will give a paper on Bob Humphrey's
                        work. Glad you will be there as well. Ann

                        >>> lloyd.miller@... 01/25 10:25 AM >>>

                        Hey Ann, glad to hear you're going to Savannah. Look forward to seeing
                        you there.
                        Lloyd

                        On Monday, January 24, 2005, at 02:57 PM, Ann Kaupp wrote:

                        > I'm coming to Savannah. What about you?

                        > Ann,
                        >
                        > Thanks for the great ideas. They are much appreciated. Just by
                        > coincidence I was looking at the SAA preliminary program for Salt Lake
                        > City when your email arrived. It looks like a good program. Will you be
                        > going to Salt Lake City or Savanna? You can't do both you know.
                        >
                        > Bob

                        > Bob, I contacted Education Manager Maureen Malloy at SAA and she had
                        > this to
                        > suggest about getting your book out there:
                        >
                        > -the publisher can send it to the book review editor for American
                        > Antiquity: Douglas B. Bamforth, Anthropology Department, 233 UCB,
                        > University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309-0233,
                        > douglas.bamforth@...
                        > 303-651-9647
                        >
                        > If he, or the publisher, is looking for peer review or input on the
                        > manuscript, I suggest contacting Anne Pyburn or someone else from the
                        > SAA MATRIX project as they were all about reforming undergrad.
                        > archaeology education. (Shereen Lerner was another member)
                        >
                        > BOB, SHEREEN LERNER'S email is slerner@...
                        > According to the 2002-03 AAA Guide, Pyburn is at Indiana Univ.
                        > apyburn@...
                        > Ann

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links