Re: [SACC-L] Film / Video Suggestions for Faces of Culture?

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 2004
      Dear Leanna,

      Though retired, I do see an area for which I think the Faces of Culture
      telecourse would provide a good venue.

      What with the recent election, rise of Evangelical Protestantism in
      Latin America and the generally growing rift between Christian and
      Islamic fundamentalists (some have suggested the making of a worldwide
      "holy war"), I think Faces should feature a special unit or section on
      the cultural relativism of religion.

      This should go beyond the usual anthropological treatment of religion
      and focus directly on current issues and their consequences. For
      example, President Bush's characterization of his anti-terrorism
      policies as good versus evil is nearly indistinguishable from bin
      Laden's characterization of the evils of the US. There's certainly
      plenty of recent film footage to provide appropriate video clips for
      the telecourse.

      I suppose some might argue that this reflects a left-wing bias, though
      these critics would probably say the same for much of anthropological
      knowledge. My response (to paraphrase the late actor, Walter Brennan,
      in one of his celebrated TV roles) is "no spin, just facts."

      Best,
      Lloyd

      On Wednesday, November 10, 2004, at 12:49 AM, LAWolfe@... wrote:

      > I'm part of the advisory board that's updating the Faces of Culture
      > telecourse.  What would you like to have the next edition feature?
      > Moreover we're also developing a Physical Anthro. telecourse.  Do you
      > have favorite films that you'd like to see excerpted?  Topics that
      > you'd like to have featured?  What parts of the current series would
      > you like to see maintained?  Any sources and suggestions would be much
      > appreciated!
      >
      > Thanks.
      > Leanna
      >

      > Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc  (NOTE THE NEW