Fwd: The 2004 Annual Meeting Location Change to Atlanta

  • naftalyp@sunyacc.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 22, 2004
      Hello Everyone,
      Please be advised that the 2004 Anual Meeting has been moved to
      Atlanta as per the details contained in the following forwarded E-mail. It is
      highly unlikely that I will be attending the meeting in Atlanta due to the fact
      that it will occur during the last week of our instruction before final exam
      week, I have previous obligations to my family, and due to the considerable
      increase in cost that will result in part to my airline ticket situation.
      I'm wondering if others are in the same situation and if there is
      any way that those of us who were set to go to San Francisco can meet at a
      hastily planned SACC conference to take place in the Bay Area during the same
      time frame as the original annual meeting? I'm from the Bay Area and I believe
      that I could arrange a location for a small group of us to meet for a SACC
      business meeting, board meeting, and perhaps a limited paper session or
      discussion meeting (I would be willing to deliver a paper). It wouldn't be
      difficult to make a small conference program and I could also compose a
      registration form to please the colleges that we work at. In terms of
      "academic tours" that are usually part of a SACC meeting, I'm sure that we
      could easily manage to go to the anthropology museum at UC Berkeley as well as
      some of the cultural sites of the Bay Area.

      ----- Forwarded message from AAA <members@...> -----
      Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:49:53 -0400
      From: AAA <members@...>
      Subject: The 2004 Annual Meeting (Please Circulate)
      To: AAAmeeting Update <rthomas@...>

      October 22, 2004

      MEMORANDUM

      To: AAA members

      From: Liz Brumfiel, AAA President, and the AAA Executive Board

      Subject: The 2004 Annual Meeting

      In a teleconference held on October 21, 2004, the AAA Executive Board voted to
      move the 2004 Annual Meeting from the San Francisco Hilton on November 17-21 to
      the Atlanta Hilton, December 15-19, 2004, a change in both venue and date.

      Many of you are already aware that the San Francisco Hilton Hotel and thirteen
      other hotels in San Francisco are in a labor contract standoff with Local 2 of
      UNITE/HERE, the union representing cooks, dishwashers, bellmen, servers, room
      cleaners and switchboard operators. Union members struck the hotels several
      weeks ago and were subsequently locked out. Picket lines are posted at the
      entrances to the Hilton, and it appears likely that contract negotiations
      between the union and the multi-employer group representing the 14 hotels will
      not be settled by November 17, the time originally scheduled for the AAA's
      Annual Meeting.

      On October 18, AAA's Executive Board held a teleconference meeting in order to
      consider potential responses to the lockout situation. These included moving
      our function space from the Hilton to other locations in San Francisco and
      moving the meeting to other cities, including Orlando, Atlanta, Chicago,
      Oakland, Philadelphia and San Jose. On October 19-20, the Board conducted a
      poll in which AAA members who had pre-registered for the meeting were asked to
      express their preference for what, at the time, seemed to be the three most
      likely possibilities for the meeting: staying at the San Francisco Hilton,
      moving the meeting to San Jose, or canceling the meeting all together. A
      summary of the poll results is provided in the table below.

      Two factors weighed heavily in the Board's subsequent decision. The first
      factor was the wishes of the AAA membership. Fifty-six percent of those
      responding to the poll favored moving the meeting to San Jose or canceling the
      meeting entirely as their first choice. Only 44% favored holding the meeting
      in the San Francisco Hilton as a first choice. Moreover, a great many
      respondents, including some who voted to keep the convention at the Hilton,
      indicated that they would find it impossible to cross picket lines and that
      they hoped that the AAA would not meet in a hotel that was locking out
      unionized employees.

      The second factor was the financial position of the AAA. While we could not be
      sure that the San Francisco Hilton would recover the full amount, breaking the
      contract with the San Francisco Hilton would expose the Association to
      potential damages in excess of $1.2 million plus legal fees. Losses of that
      magnitude would have meant a reduction in program and services for AAA members,
      and/or the need for a special assessment or voluntary contributions from AAA
      members.

      their hotel, the Hilton made us an offer: they would allow us to move our
      meeting to the Atlanta Hilton this year without the threat of a law suit, if we
      agreed to return to the San Francisco Hilton in 2006 (when we were scheduled to
      meet in Atlanta). In effect, the San Francisco Hilton and the Atlanta Hilton
      would trade their years of AAA meetings. However, the Atlanta Hilton was
      booked for our scheduled dates of November 17-21. December 15-19 was the first
      open date that the Board thought reasonable.

      The Board realizes that this option is far from ideal. It entails substantial
      expense and inconvenience for all our members. Many of you have non-refundable
      tickets and will have to pay a $100 change fee. Some of you have already paid
      for your hotel rooms in San Francisco. Some of you will already have plans for
      the new dates. Still, this option allows the AAA to avoid two very serious
      outcomes: asking our members to cross picket lines and exposing the AAA to a
      $1.2 million suit by the Hilton.

      The sad irony is that the Atlanta Hilton is a non-union hotel. The unionization
      of the Atlanta Hilton will be a battle for another day. But even the San Jose
      option would have meant signing a contract with the local Hilton. A committee
      appointed by the Executive Board last spring is developing a policy to favor
      living wage municipalities and unionized hotels in choosing future meeting
      venues. We will also seek a strike cancellation clause in future contracts
      with meeting hotels.

      We deeply regret the cost and inconvenience of this change. We were presented
      with a situation not of our making, with no good options. The AAA staff moved
      very quickly to inform us of the situation as it arose and to explore the
      several possibilities available to us. An additional advantage of this move:
      it will be easier to orchestrate than the move to San Jose, and it gives the
      AAA staff slightly more time to engineer the move. The result should be an
      annual meeting that runs smoothly.

      For changes and cancellations prior to 10/25/04, 5pm CST, please go online,
      call, fax or write to San Francisco Housing Bureau. For changes and
      cancellations after 10/25/04, contact your assigned hotel directly beginning
      11/01/04. Cancellations made after 10/25/04 are subject to a $16.00 processing
      fee. Cancellations made less than 72 hours prior to arrival will result in
      forfeiture of entire deposit.

      San Francisco Housing Bureau

      To call: 1-800-424-5256 or 847-940-2154 (outside U.S. & Canada) (Monday -
      Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm CST)

      To Fax: 1-800-424-5256 or 847-940-2386 (outside U.S. & Canada)

      Internet:www.aaanet.org (available 24 hours a day & 7 days a week)

      To Mail: San Francisco Housing Bureau, P. O. Box 825, 08 Wilmot Road, 4th Floor,
      Deerfield, IL 60015

      Please delay making your hotel reservations in Atlanta until you get an email
      message from AAA on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 for information on contact
      information for the Atlanta housing bureau.
      We appreciate the many thoughtful, heartfelt and constructive comments and
      emails that we received in response to the poll. They shaped the Board's
      thinking in a major way. We also wish to underscore our deep appreciation for
      the considerable efforts of the AAA professional staff in providing detailed
      information on the strike and on our options for responding to it, as well as
      tackling the significant workload that moving to another venue will entail.

      Results of October 19-20, 2004 Meeting Participant Survey Attached.

      If you can't open attachment, please scroll down.

      First Second Third

      Cancel
      742/30% 716/29% 1028/41%

      Proceed in SF
      1100/44%340/14% 1046/42%

      Move to SJ
      586/24% 1060/43% 840/34%

      !DSPAM:41799d4e6088087727865!

      ----- End forwarded message -----

    • Dianne C
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 23, 2004

        Wouldn't you know it?  The one time I actually get my act together and by air tickets ahead of time...

        I can fairly easily get to Atlanta from where I am and the time is not a problem.  However, I'd prefer not to do both.  Do we need to divide contingencies somehow--some of us go on to California and others cover Atlanta?

        Life gets complicated...

        Dianne Chidester

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 23, 2004
          Phil,

          I'm glad I waited a day to answer your e-mail as my response would have
          been moot by now. I think your idea of a quickly formed SACC
          conference is good. Since I'll be in SF anyway, do count me in for
          anything you can arrange. I too will not be attending the AAA meetings
          in Atlanta.

          You know, it's ironic: of course the AAA Exec Board could not have
          known ahead of their decision about Hilton's offer to trade venues.
          However, for all the inconvenience, some cost to individuals and quite
          likely reduced attendance, AAA will end up holding its conference in a
          non-union hotel. Go figure!

          Lloyd

        • naftalyp@sunyacc.edu
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 23, 2004
            Hello Lloyd,
            I'm glad to hear that you support the idea of a mini-SACC conference
            in San Francisco and am waiting to hear from other board members and members at
            large. I would also like to point out that on some levels participating in the
            AAA Annual Meeting in Atlanta is equivalent to attending the meeting at the
            Hilton in San Francisco except for the fact that we don't have to come in
            contact with the ugly contingencies of a strike/lockout. By moving to Atlanta
            while promising to meet in San Francisco in a few years, we have removed our
            legal liability but have also supported the Hilton. Now that the Hilton knows
            that they have secured our business and our money, albeit at a later date, they
            can continue on as they wish during the current labor struggle. There is no
            possibility for truly neutral action regarding this conflict and the AAA Board
            has chosen its benefactor.