SF Hilton-union dispute

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 21, 2004
      Having read some of the e-mail comments and re-read the AAA
      communication on the SF Hilton/Union issue, I feel that AAA should not
      cancel its contract, unless its lawyers are quite certain they could
      win in litigation. Rather, I believe that individual conferees should
      decide for themselves whether or not to cross the picket line or use SF
      Hilton services. This would be a grass-roots vote. If a sizeable
      number of conferees chose to side with the unions in this manner, it
      would make a terrific statement and genuinely hurt the hotel’s
      conference revenues. If, on the other hand, relatively few conferees
      chose to do this, it would show that the membership really doesn’t
      support union efforts, and that the costs AAA cancellation would have
      incurred were not in its members’ interests.

      As to the communication’s suggestions 1-9 of ways to show support, we
      definitely should not do number 2. To tell unions that we support
      their efforts (in theory) but to please permit us to cross their picket
      lines so that we can have our meetings as though nothing were amiss is
      contradictory, hypocritical and exclusively self-serving. (No union
      would grant such permission and one does not need permission to cross
      anyway.)

      Assuming we hold the conference as scheduled, AAA ought to secure an
      alternate base of operations—preferably a nearby hotel not currently
      involved in labor disputes—to coordinate support efforts. This would
      help make possible some of the other suggestions, especially numbers 6
      and 8. I’ll be staying with relatives in SF, and since I will not
      cross picket lines, I’d like someplace other than the Hilton to be able
      to get together with colleagues and friends.

      Perhaps those of us in SACC planning to attend should exchange
      hotel/phone information before leaving. It’s possible that the
      conference will end up happening in many places, including picket lines.

      I also like the idea (from an e-mail) of patronizing union
      representatives who sell coffee and refreshments outside the Hilton.

      Lloyd Miller
      Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges
    • naftalyp@sunyacc.edu
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 22, 2004
        Hello Everyone,
        As the situation unfolds and the date for the conference grows closer, I
        feel that we should explore the feasibility of holding our business and board
        meetings in another location, and possibly moving our other sponsored sessions.
        In terms of the business and board meetings it is likely that we can estimate
        attendance before the conference and choose a location that may accommodate the
        number of people that will attend. This could perhaps be a community college
        in the area, a restaurant, or someone's residence. Along these lines could all
        of those who plan to attend the business meeting and/or the board meeting
        please indicate this with a further E-mail.

        The SACC sponsored sessions are a bit more complicated since they are open to
        all and frequently attended by non-SACC members, especially those that we are
        unable to contact. Does anyone have any ideas about what we can do here? The
        third variation is AAA organizational meetings such as those for the section
        presidents, treasurers, and publishers of journals and newsletters. Any ideas
        about these meetings? Thanks, Phillip

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 25, 2004

          Phil:

          May I put your e-mail up as a link on the conference page on the web site?   It is entirely possible that  folks may go there wondering about the conference confusion who are not on the e-mail list.

          Also:  Once a decision has been made, please send me a statement to post.

          Thanks!

          Ann Popplestone  AAB, BA, MA

          CCC Metro TLC

          216-987-3584