Sneak Preview

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2004
      Dear Colleagues,

      In a effort to speed up the flow of information, here's SACC's November
      2004 ANTHROPOLOGY NEWS column.

      AN Column, November 2004

      Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges
      , Contributing Editor

      Savannah Conference
      By Dianne Chidester

      SACC’s 2005 conference will be held in Savannah, Georgia, March
      31-April 2, 2005. The theme is "Diaspora: People in Motion." Savannah
      should be in full bloom at this time of year with pleasant river and
      town walks just outside the hotel door.  Its River District is one that
      has not been taken over by chains, so it has a local charm you won't
      find elsewhere.
      The Historic District of Savannah is comprised of 21 squares, each
      surrounded by beautiful homes and gardens.  You've seen Savannah in
      movies such as Forrest Gump and Midnight in the Garden of Good and
      Evil.  You can even visit one of the many museums and see the actual
      bench where Forrest Gump waited for the bus!
      Savannah has received high praise from around the world. LeMonde of
      Paris described it as "The Most Beautiful City in North America"
      (1989); Southern Living calls it one of the "top Three Romantic
      Getaways"; Walking hails it as one of the "Top 10 Walking Cities"; and
      the New York Times named it among the "Top 12 Trendy Travel Hot spots
      in the World."
      Especially germane to our theme, the Sea Islands along the coast are
      home to the Gullah and Geechee cultures.  These folks are descendents
      of slaves who have maintained and yet adapted their way of life to the
      coastline.  One of our site visits will include the Penn Center on St.
      Helena Island.
      (From a brochure): "The Penn Center sits at the heart of Gullah
      culture, on the 50 acres of the campus of Penn School" …Tucked in the
      heart of the South Carolina Sea Islands between glimmering marshes and
      deep water, nestled beneath the silvery moss draped limbs of massive
      live oaks, you will find the Penn Center—the site of one of the
      country's first schools for freed slaves and one of the most
      significant African American historical and cultural institutions in
      existence today" [www.penncenter.com].
      While at the Penn Center, we will enjoy a lunch of a low country boil,
      as well as lectures, demonstrations and lessons prepared by Gullah
      Savannah boasts fine dining as well as history.  We'll be sure to
      visit Mrs. Wilkes's Boarding House.  There's no sign outside, but just
      about anyone will tell you how to find it, and that the Southern Style
      meals served boarding-house style are not to be missed.  My friends and
      I had lunch here and we counted 20 items brought to the table where
      we lunched with folks from all over.  If you watch the Food Channel,
      you know Savannah has good eats!
      Our meeting location makes all this very accessible.  We'll be staying
      at the Days Inn Riverfront, which is in the restored Guckenheimer
      Building (1851), a national registered landmark.
      There's more!!  The Savannah Music Festival's last weekend will be
      during our stay.  The schedule has not been set yet, but this festival
      is known for showcasing all genres and is presented in historic parks,
      theaters, churches and squares.  [www.savannahmusicfestival.org]
      Bring your appetite for culture and cuisine!

      Call for Paper Presentations
      Proposals for paper presentations on any topic relating to
      anthropology are welcome. Presentations on teaching anthropology,
      college-based research, outreach programs, and the diaspora are
      particularly encouraged.
      Abstracts should be no longer than 125 words and must be received no
      later than January 31, 2005.
      The abstracts should be sent to Rebecca Stein, Department of
      Anthropology, Los Angeles Valley College, 5800 Fulton Avenue, Valley
      Glen, California, 91401 or steinrl@....
      Presentations are tentatively scheduled for 15 minutes.
      Notification of acceptance or rejection of proposals will be completed
      by February 21st, 2005
      No proposal will be accepted for final inclusion in the program until
      the program chair receives confirmation from the AAA, prior to March
      8th, 2005, that conference registration fees have been paid
      A slide projector and overhead will be available. Presentations
      requiring film, video, Internet access, and PowerPoint may not be
      accommodated (unless the presenter will be bringing his/her own
      equipment, which must be indicated on the abstract).

      (Send correspondence and communications to , .)