AAA Meeting - SACC Sessions and larger issues

  • Rebecca L. Stein
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2004

      First, here is the schedule for SACC sessions for the San Francisco AAA meeting this year:

      Sessions Accepted
              Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges
              Prog #  Sess. ID        Title   Schedule
              1-044   268     Five Fields Update      11/18/2004      10:15 AM        12:00 PM
              2-047   516     SLO's (Student Learner Outcomes) Are Here to Stay! New  11/19/2004      10:15 AM        12:00 PM

              Pedagogy or Reinventing the Wheel?
              2-052   472     Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges Board    11/19/2004      12:00 PM        1:30 PM
              3-060   89      Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges Business         11/20/2004      12:15 PM        1:30 PM

              Meeting

      A couple of issues:

      1)     They scheduled the Five Fields for Thursday am instead of pm, so any after-session meal would need to be lunch.  However, the panel is conveniently right before the Board Meeting!

      2)     You should know that there has been a lot of fuss on the program chairs list about this meeting.  Fortunately, all of SACC’s sessions were scheduled, but this was not the case for many other sessions.  Here is an excerpt from an email from Tanya Luhrman:

      “Hi. We have just finished scheduling the upcoming meetings, and it is clear that it will be a splendid conference. Many of the panels are just great.

      Unfortunately, it has also become clear that we rejected over a third of them. This year members submitted 3579 papers (396 more than the last time the meeting was in San Francisco) and 501 sessions (121 more than in 2003—nearly thirty percent more than last year). Section editors composed another 125 sessions out of individually volunteered papers. Not counting the 33 poster sessions, this means that there were 593 total sessions to schedule. And many of these were double sessions, meaning that they required two room slots. We had 474 room slots available from Wednesday noon to Sunday noon. Over two hundred sessions didn’t fit. This will be understandably upsetting for many people.”

      There is quite a bit of discussion going on about how large the meetings should be, how included sessions should be chosen, etc.  We might want to add this to our discussion of how SACC’s invited sessions will be chosen.

      That being said, there is a chance that I will not make it to San Francisco (due to child care issues).  If I do not make it, I think it is very important that someone (from the SACC Board perhaps?) attend the Program Chairs meeting in my place.  Any volunteers?

      Thanks,

      Becky

    • LAWolfe@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2004
        Hi Becky

        I'm curious when you heard from AAA--I'm wondering what came of the proposals I submitted.

        Also any idea when your publisher will be sending out instructor copies of your new textbook.  Sometime soon I want to get going on my fall syllabus.  Also, I'm really short of work this fall (only the one LAVC class).  If you know of anything, please let me know!

        Bests,
        Leanna