FW: 7/26/2004 Daily Report from The Chronicle of Higher Education

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26 4:14 PM
      Good day!

      Here are news bulletins from The Chronicle of Higher Education
      for Monday, July 26.

      [snip]

      MAGAZINES & JOURNALS

      A glance at the June issue of "Episteme": A new journal of
      social epistemology

      "Episteme" is a new journal of social epistemology, which
      focuses on the social dimensions of knowledge, says Anthony
      Quinton, a former president of the University of Oxford's
      Trinity College and a fellow of its New College and All Souls
      College.

      "Social epistemology arose from the recognition that nearly all
      that we believe or claim to know is secondhand and derived from
      the speech or writing of others," he writes.

      Two styles of social epistemology, the analytical and critical
      approaches, are represented in "Episteme."

      Analytical social epistemology grapples with questions like how
      facts presented by other people can ever be satisfactorily
      verified, while critical social epistemology examines fields
      like science and history as social constructions, in other
      words, as things that are "brought into existence by human
      social activity, like government and the family and unlike
      mountains and icebergs," Mr. Quinton says.

      "'Episteme' is not the first journal to take social epistemology
      as its theme," he writes, "but it is the first, I think, to try
      to bring the two kinds of epistemology I have distinguished
      together."

      The journal will be published three times a year, by Edinburgh
      University Press. Information about the journal is available at
      http://www.episteme.eu.com

      [snip]

      Copyright (c) 2004 The Chronicle of Higher Education, Inc.