RE: [SACC-L] Let's Talk Excuses

  • Hare, William
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 15, 2004

      I received an e-mail from the mother of one of my students asking permission for her daughter to miss the exam because her brother was returning from Iraq and they were driving down south to meet him.  So now I am unpatriotic if I refuse a makeup exam!

      How do you deal with students who may have a legitimate excuse, complete with documentation?  My problem with all of this is balancing my willingness to support the "whole" student with my desire to maintain academic rigor.  But, I don't want to become the judge/jury on which excuse is legit.

      Will Hare

      PS: "Professor Hare" gave into "Captain Hare (CT State Guard)" on the question of the makeup.

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 15, 2004

          You know, Don's strategy really works.  I began teaching with a similar method.  I was stunned that so many students thought that the exam could be taken at their convenience.  The same is true for late work.  I don't accept it.  They know it.  I've had students thank me for that policy because it makes them do the work on time:  imagine that!

          We should commend Don for reducing the number of tragedies in his community!

          Pamela Ford

          Chair, Department for World Studies

          Mt. San Jacinto College

          1499 N. State Street

          San Jacinto, CA 92583

          800.624-5561 x 1533

          909.487-6752 x 1533

        • ninivaggic@georgian.edu
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 15, 2004
            I just save myself a lot of hassles with take home tests. I state very
            firmly that I won't accept late tests, but I always allow the class to set
            the due date when I pass out the take home. To their credit and my
            surprise, I've never seen them give themselves more than two weeks to
            complete even the most time-consuming essay tests. I come off as ever so
            fair and flexible, and the democratic due date method creates a sense of
            student responsibility to the whole class, rather some arbitrary personal
            date of mine.

            Cynthia
          • Robert Muckle
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 15, 2004
              I have had some interesting experiences with take-home tests.
              Occasionally I give a take-home final in an introductory archaeology
              class. I give one page of detailed instructions followed by several
              pages of raw data, listed under categories such as botanical remains,
              ceramics, lithics, etc. The objective is to have students interpret the
              data (eg. reconstruct technology, diet, social organization, etc.). One
              time I am reading the completed exam from someone I thought was a fairly
              good student, but their intepretations just didn't make much sense.
              After giving it some thought, I found a copy of the test I had given a
              year earlier, and saw that she had done an excellent job of answering
              the wrong test. It turned out that upon receiving the take-home exam,
              she showed it to a friend who had taken the course from me before.
              Looking only at the cover page with the instructions, they surmised that
              it was the same test. Since the friend had received an 'A,' the student
              simply copied her friend's interpretations in their entirety. Had they
              bothered to look at the subsequent pages of data, they would have seen
              that all the data had been changed. She admitted that she did take a
              look at her friend's interpretations, but her excuse was that submitting
              the intepretations to last year's test was simply an accident and it was
              unfair to penalize her. She failed.

              Bob
            • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 15, 2004
                One of the things I always have to remind my students is: Be sure to
                answer the question I asked! It sounds crazy, but sometimes they end up
                giving a very good answer to something that wasn't on the test!
                --Dianne

[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Philip Stein
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 15, 2004
                  I also eliminated makeup exams beginning last
                  semester. It seemed that virtually all of my office
                  hour time was spent in giving makeups. I added one
                  additional exam to the semester and let the students
                  drop the lowest score. It has worked extremely well.

                  Phil Stein
                  Pierce College

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c8od9u6/M=290782.4765869.5970731.1764878/D=egroupweb/S=1705079605:HM/EXP=1082064817/A=2091129/R=0/SIG=11ecfki5k/*http://www.aiuonline.edu/aiucombo/?code=1658>

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 15, 2004
                    All of this delightful discussion (delightful because I don’t have to
                    deal with it anymore) inspired me to review my Cultural Anthro.
                    syllabus the last semester I taught, spring 2000. After trying about
                    everything imaginable over 35 years of teaching, I eventually arrived
                    at the following.

                    Student grades consisted of an average of four exams (including the
                    final) and an ethnographic report. Students could earn up to 5% extra
                    credit for good attendance (3 or fewer class periods missed; no
                    excuses—a miss was a miss irrespective of dead grandmothers or early
                    spring break departures). This significantly increased attendance,
                    since earning the full 5% could improve a student’s final grade by half
                    a letter, e.g., B+ to A-, etc.

                    Students missing one (but only one) of the first three exams could make
                    it up during the last week of classes. We were fortunate in that our
                    Learning Center would proctor makeup exams. Since most of the students
                    who missed exams never completed the course anyway, I only had one or
                    two per semester taking make-ups, sometimes none. Obviously, having
                    them wait until semester’s end to make up an exam was an intended
                    handicap and encouraged them to reschedule their various life tragedies.

                    I gave students two class periods past deadline to hand in their
                    ethnographies for a reduced grade and did not accept them after that.
                    Students missing the final exam got an F for the course (unless prior
                    arrangements were made) and had to make it up by the middle of the
                    following semester to erase the F.

                    My “exceptions” policy in the syllabus stated that I might make
                    exceptions to the rules in extraordinary circumstances (such as sudden
                    illness or accidents) if students notified me as soon as possible after
                    the onset of the misfortune. This was designed to separate those
                    students who breezed in after a two-week absence with the “Hey, I’ve
                    been sick, did I miss anything important?” comments from those who
                    might have genuinely needed a break.

                    My system was not perfect. I still had to “judge excuses”
                    occasionally. However, it did allow me to spend less time with
                    students who weren’t ready or willing to learn and more time with those
                    tried and cared.

                    Lloyd Miller
                    Des Moines Area Community College (emeritus)