RE: [SACC-L] FW: THE PASSION a hit in Arab World

  • Pamela Ford
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2004
      RE: [SACC-L] FW: THE PASSION a hit in Arab World

      Thank you for sharing this.

      Pamela Ford
      Chair, Department for World Studies
      Mt. San Jacinto College
      1499 N. State Street
      San Jacinto, CA 92583
      800.624-5561 x 1533
      909.487-6752 x 1533

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2004
        RE: [SACC-L] FW: THE PASSION a hit in Arab World

        You’re welcome.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 14, 2004
          RE: [SACC-L] FW: THE PASSION a hit in Arab World

          Mark, I agree with you that Gibson’s movie (at least what I’ve seen from reports) and most of Christian history ignore Rome as a brutal occupier of these areas.  I think it’s interesting that Americans, in general, look to Rome as some kind of noble role model for democracy in spite of the facts.

          I sent the earlier message out because I thought the different interpretations through specific cultural lenses was interesting.

          Disclaimer:  I have not seen the movie and am not sure that I will.  Unlike my students who complain about the pig scene in “Dead Birds” but have no problem with violence in movies, I just don’t think I want to see the slow-motion torture.  I thought one of the more interesting descriptions of the movie I heard (and I can’t remember where I heard it) is that Gibson’s presentation is “like a religious snuff movie.”  As for Gibson’s profits, he has already built his own “traditional” Catholic church.  Evidently he’s following in his father’s footsteps and does not hold with Vatican 2.

          And, I couldn’t believe my ears (and yet I could) when Bush used the phrase “Muslims and brown-skinned people.”

          It snowed all day yesterday here in Louisville!  There was 5 inches of snow on the ground outside of the city.  Snow in April?  Yikes!!