RE: [SACC-L] FW: Kokopelli "our dancing friend......"

  • Hare, William
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2004

      Besides, who would we get permission from?  Should we have a logo contest?  How is Mel working on it?

      Have a great time at the conference everyone.  I am leaving for Europe in three days (My first time so I am very excited).

      Will Hare

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2004
        RE: [SACC-L] FW: Kokopelli "our dancing friend......"

        I agree, as well.

        Pam Ford

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2004
          Message

          Just to put a little different slant on this…  What about all the Indian-made silver with Kokopelli on it?  Can one be a “non-practicing Indian” and it’s okay to use this symbol for personal gain?  (BTW, I use the term “Indian” because my students in South Dakota and Russell Means told me it was what they preferred.)

          This could get interesting!  -- Dianne

[...]

          "In one respect, I find it curious that no one else attempted to discuss Kokopelli; perhaps part of the reason is that this is just another example of how something sacred has been appropriated into the world of kitsch. So, it comes as no surprise that the Hopi, from what I understand, prefer to keep their religion as separate, apart, or "secret" from the contemporary world. Also, it seems important to me to realize that figures like Kokopelli deserve the same reverence (and respect) that the symbols of Christianity or Judaism receive."

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 5, 2004
            I think Dianne makes an interesting point. Certainly Kokopelli
            originates as an Indian symbol, but is it a sacred symbol? Should
            organizations refrain from using any of the ancient rock drawings in
            the event they might have been sacred? Should this restriction apply
            only to non-Indians? Generally, complaints about employing Indian
            symbols or names are made when they're used in a derogatory way or if
            the intent is to demean.

            SACC has used Kokopelli in some form as an icon since the early 90s.
            I'm surprised that no one has questioned this until now (are we that
            obscure?). Before I ceremoniously destroy my SACC coffee cup, I'd like
            to hear more discussion about 1) whether any use of Kokopelli is
            considered unethical or demeaning; 2) whether Kokopelli is a sacred
            symbol and to whom; 3) what evidence supports this, e.g., is it used in
            sacred ceremonies, does its appearance in non-sacred contexts produce
            strong negative emotions, as do the Christian Cross, the Star of David
            or the American flag; 4) would such negative emotions, if they exist,
            apply equally to "non-practicing Indians" as well as to non-Indians;
            5) who would have standing to grant or deny permission for its use.

            Yes, it is indeed interesting!
            Lloyd

            On Thursday, March 4, 2004, at 04:56 PM, Chidester, Dianne
            ((Jefferson)) wrote:

            > Just to put a little different slant on this…  What about all the
            > Indian-made silver with Kokopelli on it?  Can one be a “non-practicing
            > Indian” and it’s okay to use this symbol for personal gain?  (BTW, I
            > use the term “Indian” because my students inSouth Dakotaand Russell
            > Means told me it was what they preferred.)
            >

            > This could get interesting!  -- Dianne

            <image.tiff>

            <image.tiff>

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Kaupp Ann
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 5, 2004
              I asked a researcher at the Smithsonian whose expertise is American Indians
              and he had this to say:

              ...not only Indians but also New Agers, Chinese manufacters, European
              hobbyists, local hyppies, and LA fashio designers are using it [kokopelli]
              in jewelry, charms, pendants, etc....
              My thinking is this; if it is being used, let's say, for an
              anthropological "section" discussing rock art symbolism and a host of
              related/ associated topics, i.e. attributes of SW fertility, etc. etc., it's
              ok, but to just use it becasue it is "in style" or as an eye-catcher, then I
              would agree with whomever raised the issue. In other words, what's the AAA
              rationale for using that "image" as a logo? Someone must have had a reason,
              or reasons, for chosing it, must not just have picked it because it's
              "Indian"; if this were case, I would seriously question the intellectual
              maturity of the [decision].

              >>> lloyd.miller@... 03/05/04 09:35AM >>>

              ((Jefferson)) wrote:

              > Just to put a little different slant on this… What about all the
              > Indian-made silver with Kokopelli on it? Can one be a “non-practicing

              > Indian” and it’s okay to use this symbol for personal gain? (BTW, I

              > use the term “Indian” because my students inSouth Dakotaand Russell
              > Means told me it was what they preferred.)
              >

              > This could get interesting! -- Dianne

              Service.