FW: Kokopelli "our dancing friend......"

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2004
      Message
      Thoughts and opinions?

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Jan Tucker [mailto:jtucker@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 1:40 PM
      To: Popplestone, Ann
      Cc: Wolves5149@...; Aimfl@...; Rabeaul@...; Mark Madrid; DNarcomey@...
      Subject: Kokopelli "our dancing friend......"

      Dear Ann Popplestone,

      I'm writing to comment to Kokopelli image usage for the SACC [image, icon, symbol]. An American Indian activist friend sent this webpage to me knowing I'm an Applied Cultural Anthropologists.  I read the information from the page linked below which discusses "Kokopelli our dancing friend....."  written by Karen Yaeger. I can't tell a date for this essay, but I accessed it on 3/3/04 at this WWW address http://ccanthro.bizland.com/koko.htm

      My concern is the use of the image is problematic ethically. Considering native people's position on the appropriation of their sacred spiritual practices (and all that goes with this appropriation, in this case imagrey of a diety).  I suggest the SACC examin closer the ethics of using this image to represent something other than what it is meant to represent). I suggest that applied cultural anthropologists show the utmost respect and sensitivity to not using inappropriatly sacred images or becoming part of "the world of kitsch" the Ms. Yeates discusses in the quotes below.  It is ethically wrong to appropriate "Kokopelli our dancing friend...." from the Hopi people today who "keep their religion "separare, apart, or "secret"". I suggest we immediately remove the cartoonish dancing image of Kokopelli: "...Kokopelli deserve[s] the same reverence (and respect) that the symbols of Chrisitianity or Judaism receive". So in removing the image we then give in action what we give in lip serves in this essay: "reverence", "respect" .

      See below for quotes in context.

      "Apparently, Kokopelli is just as important to the Hopi today, as he was in the past, he being the important rain priest, associated with the locust and found often together with the snake."

      "In one respect, I find it curious that no one else attempted to discuss Kokopelli; perhaps part of the reason is that this is just another example of how something sacred has been appropriated into the world of kitsch. So, it comes as no surprise that the Hopi, from what I understand, prefer to keep their religion as separate, apart, or "secret" from the contemporary world. Also, it seems important to me to realize that figures like Kokopelli deserve the same reverence (and respect) that the symbols of Christianity or Judaism receive."

      Feel Free to Forward, post, share this message widely.

      Jan B. Tucker
      jtucker@...
      Adjucnt Professor
      Applied Cultural Anthropologist
      Saine Leo Univeristy and
      Lake City Community College
      Lake City, FL

      Support Group Coordinator
      Bell Support Group AIM, FL
      American Indian Movement of Florida

    • Robert Muckle
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 4, 2004
        I agree. 100%. By today's standards (ie. 2004),tIt is unethical and
        inappropriate to use the Kokopelli images without permission. SACC
        should either get permission or use a new image (which Mel Johnson has
        been working on anyway).

        Bob Muckle

        >>> ann.popplestone@... 3/4/2004 11:49:18 AM >>>
        Thoughts and opinions?

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 4, 2004

          Besides, who would we get permission from?  Should we have a logo contest?  How is Mel working on it?

          Have a great time at the conference everyone.  I am leaving for Europe in three days (My first time so I am very excited).

          Will Hare

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 4, 2004
            RE: [SACC-L] FW: Kokopelli "our dancing friend......"

            I agree, as well.

            Pam Ford

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 4, 2004
              Message

              Just to put a little different slant on this…  What about all the Indian-made silver with Kokopelli on it?  Can one be a “non-practicing Indian” and it’s okay to use this symbol for personal gain?  (BTW, I use the term “Indian” because my students in South Dakota and Russell Means told me it was what they preferred.)

              This could get interesting!  -- Dianne

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 5, 2004
                I think Dianne makes an interesting point. Certainly Kokopelli
                originates as an Indian symbol, but is it a sacred symbol? Should
                organizations refrain from using any of the ancient rock drawings in
                the event they might have been sacred? Should this restriction apply
                only to non-Indians? Generally, complaints about employing Indian
                symbols or names are made when they're used in a derogatory way or if
                the intent is to demean.

                SACC has used Kokopelli in some form as an icon since the early 90s.
                I'm surprised that no one has questioned this until now (are we that
                obscure?). Before I ceremoniously destroy my SACC coffee cup, I'd like
                to hear more discussion about 1) whether any use of Kokopelli is
                considered unethical or demeaning; 2) whether Kokopelli is a sacred
                symbol and to whom; 3) what evidence supports this, e.g., is it used in
                sacred ceremonies, does its appearance in non-sacred contexts produce
                strong negative emotions, as do the Christian Cross, the Star of David
                or the American flag; 4) would such negative emotions, if they exist,
                apply equally to "non-practicing Indians" as well as to non-Indians;
                5) who would have standing to grant or deny permission for its use.

                Yes, it is indeed interesting!
                Lloyd

                On Thursday, March 4, 2004, at 04:56 PM, Chidester, Dianne
                ((Jefferson)) wrote:

                > Just to put a little different slant on this…  What about all the
                > Indian-made silver with Kokopelli on it?  Can one be a “non-practicing
                > Indian” and it’s okay to use this symbol for personal gain?  (BTW, I
                > use the term “Indian” because my students inSouth Dakotaand Russell
                > Means told me it was what they preferred.)
                >

                > This could get interesting!  -- Dianne

                <image.tiff>

                <image.tiff>

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Kaupp Ann
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 5, 2004
                  I asked a researcher at the Smithsonian whose expertise is American Indians
                  and he had this to say:

                  ...not only Indians but also New Agers, Chinese manufacters, European
                  hobbyists, local hyppies, and LA fashio designers are using it [kokopelli]
                  in jewelry, charms, pendants, etc....
                  My thinking is this; if it is being used, let's say, for an
                  anthropological "section" discussing rock art symbolism and a host of
                  related/ associated topics, i.e. attributes of SW fertility, etc. etc., it's
                  ok, but to just use it becasue it is "in style" or as an eye-catcher, then I
                  would agree with whomever raised the issue. In other words, what's the AAA
                  rationale for using that "image" as a logo? Someone must have had a reason,
                  or reasons, for chosing it, must not just have picked it because it's
                  "Indian"; if this were case, I would seriously question the intellectual
                  maturity of the [decision].

                  >>> lloyd.miller@... 03/05/04 09:35AM >>>

                  ((Jefferson)) wrote:

                  > Just to put a little different slant on this… What about all the
                  > Indian-made silver with Kokopelli on it? Can one be a “non-practicing

                  > Indian” and it’s okay to use this symbol for personal gain? (BTW, I

                  > use the term “Indian” because my students inSouth Dakotaand Russell
                  > Means told me it was what they preferred.)
                  >

                  > This could get interesting! -- Dianne

                  Service.