FW: 2/6/2004 Daily Report from The Chronicle of Higher Education

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2004
      From: The Chronicle [mailto:daily@...]
      Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 5:00 AM
      To: Chronicle Daily Report
      Subject: 2/6/2004 Daily Report from The Chronicle of Higher Education

      ACADEME TODAY: The Chronicle of Higher Education's
      Daily Report for subscribers

      Good day!

      Here are news bulletins from The Chronicle of Higher Education for
      Friday, February 6.

      * [snip]

      * SCIENTISTS SHOULD BE ALLOWED to study the remains of a
      9,000-year-old skeleton known as the Kennewick Man, a
      three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth
      Circuit ruled on Wednesday, rejecting appeals from the
      federal government and five American Indian tribes.
      --> SEE http://chronicle.com/daily/2004/02/2004020602n.htm

      A glance at the winter issue of "Granta":
      Experiences abroad and changing perspectives

      In this special issue, 20 American writers recount their
      experiences abroad and how they were influenced by them.

      The journalist Tom Bissell challenges the simplistic views of
      many outsiders toward the United States and of many Americans
      toward the world. "Hatred of America, like love of America," is
      "founded upon the notion that only America affects the world in
      any meaningful way," he writes.

      But "the idea that the lava of worldly power flows from a lone
      volcano in the heart of an American Mordor is a dangerous
      simplification," he argues. "As a traveler, I have been the
      beneficiary of foreigners' kindness and hospitality, though
      often after being compelled to sit through a point-by-point
      discussion of why America's unilateral actions were wrecking the
      world. There is much to learn from people whose minds are not
      calcified by 'either/or' determinism, who can disapprove of
      America and invite an American to tea," Mr. Bissell concludes.

      Nell Freudenberger relates how her travels led her to confront
      her own ignorance about the world. On a visit to a village in
      Laos, she learned that the United States had bombed Laos during
      the Vietnam War, killing 200,000 Laotians. "It wasn't so much
      the numbers" but "the fact that [I] hadn't known them, that made
      the statistics horrifying," she recalls. If it were not for that
      visit, "I would probably never have thought about what 'we' did
      in Laos," Ms. Freudenberger writes.

      Adam Hochschild, an author and a lecturer at the Graduate School
      of Journalism of the University of California at Berkeley,
      ponders the American paradox, "that what is, at home, perhaps
      the most vibrant civil society on earth is, abroad, a
      trigger-happy superpower of terrifying arrogance."

      While his travels to apartheid South Africa in the 1960s and
      India in the 1990s opened his eyes to American arrogance, they
      also made him appreciate other American values. "I've come to
      understand why hundreds of thousands of people from all over the
      world" choose to live or study in the United States, he says.
      "It's not money" that lures them, but the chance to "be treated
      as an individual," he writes. "If there is a single hope I have
      for my country, it is that the great promise of the one can
      begin to rescue us from the great dangers of the other."

      Several of the essays are available online at

      You'll find The Chronicle's home page at:

      If you would like your own copy of the Daily Report, and you are not yet
      a Chronicle subscriber, please visit us on the Web to

      Also from The Chronicle:

      The Chronicle of Philanthropy: news and information about
      foundations, charities, fund raising, and the nonprofit world,

      Arts & Letters Daily: pithy summaries of some of the best
      writing on the Web, at:

      If you want to change the address at which you receive this
      e-mail message, change which messages you receive, change
      your login name or password, or make other changes in your account
      information, you can do so online at:

      If you have other problems or questions, please send a message

      Copyright (c) 2004 The Chronicle of Higher Education, Inc.