FW: CFP Gender and Television
- -----Original Message-----
From: marsha chuk [SMTP:chukm@...]
Sent: Monday, March 15, 1999 2:03 PM
Subject: CFP Gender and Television
AREA CALL FOR PAPERS: Mexico Meeting of the Popular Culture Association
in conjunction with the 4th Annual Congress, UDLA
September 29 =96 October 3, 1999.
Searching for papers that relate to: GENDER AND TELEVISION
Television occupies a key position in popular culture studies, as a dis-
cursive site around which the meanings of the 'masculine' and 'feminine'
are both contested and transformed. This panel calls for a necessarily
broad range of papers, using both historical and contemporary examples,
which attempt to analyse the relation of gender to television in terms of
the concrete practices of production, signification, 'reading', and
Papers could attend to, or cut across, any of the issues listed below:
- ways in which gender is constructed in televisual representations.
- the impact of gender on cultural perceptions of televisual
- the relationship between gender and genre.
- the presence, or absence, of gendered spaces within televisual
- gender and television advertising.
- production, gender, and the television industry.
- the 'gendered audience'.
- television and the gendering of technology.
- television, gender and the domestic sphere.
- consumption, gender and television.
- television and the construction of gendered 'subjects'.
- television and gendered cultural competence.
PLEASE CONTACT AREA CHAIR:
Anna Gough-Yates, Senior Lecturer in Media and Cultural Studies
Media Arts Faculty, Southampton Institute of Higher Education
East Park Terrace, Southampton SO14 OYN UK
This Area is a strand within the Popular Culture Association meeting in
Puebla, Mexico. For full information about the conference, check the con-
ference web site: http://h-net.msu.edu/~pcaaca. [Gets you to introductory
Under the Mexico banner, click on the word "Venga" and then scroll down
through the detailed materials. You will find current Area Chairs (with
more to come); sample panels from last year's meeting in Puebla; finally,
you will find a registration form with a place to enter your abstract.
AFTER inspecting all this material contact the appropriate Area Chair;
if there is no appropriate Area Chair, please contact Peter Rollins.
The conference takes place on the UDLA campus and is a wonderful experi-
ence--that is why we are going back for the fourth time!
>>>>>> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the command <<<<<<
>>>>>> UNSUB ANTHRO-L to LISTSERV@... . <<<<<<