FW: fyi

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2004
      Message
      looks like a good concept-I believe that Diane Chidester participated in this program at one time...
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 24, 2004
        Message

        There’s even an article in SACC Notes about it.  If anyone’s interested, I’ll be happy to talk about.  It was very worthwhile for me and they really like having community college folks.   -- Dianne

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 25, 2004
          Diane, please do let me and others know...we need to know so much more about Islamic cultural realities and mainstream religious practices. At my college an Islamic professor from Palestine is being persecuted by the FBI, trying to pressure him to testify against his Florida colleague under indictment. The media and law enforcers have terrorized (literally) his 3 and five year old children and wife with early morning assaults on his home and privacy (he is a citizen with his citizenship and freedom being threatened for raising money for Palestinian causes) He has been shunned by even former friends and ecumenical organizations in which he has been an active supporter for his entire nine-year stay in our community. I supported him publicly and have been pressured by friends and colleagues not to do so because of the current climate of guilt by association! Please friends of our democratic values, work to support candidates in the coming elections who have the courage to support the values of free speech, cultural pluralism, separation of church and state and fair competition without monopolies before we all lose what is left of our free society.

[...]

          There is no charge to educators who attend this program. Participants pay only for their travel to New Mexico, and personal expenses. There are also three graduate credits available through Highland University of New Mexico for those teachers who elect to pay for them. Easy registration for credit is on site. Dar al Islam will provide books, art supplies, supplementary materials, room and board, as well as in-state transportation at no cost to the teachers. For information on applying see the Dar al Islam web site at [www.daralislam.org <outbind://8/www.daralislam.org> ] or contact the director, Karima Alavi at PO Box 180, Abiquiu, New Mexico 87510 / (505) 685-4584 or mailto:kdalavi@.... The application deadline is April 5, 2004.

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ann Kaupp
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 27, 2004
            The Bulletin might be an opportunity to express what people are experiencing
            as you are, Mark, in their communities. Is the AAA taking a stand on this?

            >>> mark.lewine@... 01/25/04 04:24PM >>>
[...]

            Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc (NOTE THE
            NEW ADDRESS!!) for meeting materials, newsletters, etc.

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc (NOTE THE
            NEW ADDRESS!!) for meeting materials, newsletters, etc.

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            Message 5 of 6 , May 11, 2006
              I share this idea and source as a concept for inclusion into courses in
              anthro as perhaps "adaptations to globalization and its social
              ramifications".