FW: 1/21/2004 Daily Report from The Chronicle of Higher Education

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2004
      From: The Chronicle [mailto:daily@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 5:00 AM
      To: Chronicle Daily Report
      Subject: 1/21/2004 Daily Report from The Chronicle of Higher Education

      ACADEME TODAY: The Chronicle of Higher Education's
      Daily Report for subscribers

      Good day!

      Here are news bulletins from The Chronicle of Higher Education for
      Wednesday, January 21.

      * IN HIS STATE OF THE UNION MESSAGE on Tuesday, President Bush
      proposed increasing federal support for community colleges to
      provide job training, and increasing the amounts of Pell
      Grants for secondary-school students who take "demanding"
      college-preparatory courses. However, Mr. Bush left the
      details of both proposals for later.
      --> SEE http://chronicle.com/daily/2004/01/2004012101n.htm

      * SLASHED APPROPRIATIONS TO COLLEGES and higher tuition rates
      denied at least 250,000 prospective students access to
      college in the 2003-4 fiscal year, and state lawmakers must
      enact "emergency measures" to keep that number from growing,
      the National Center for Public Policy in Higher Education
      says in statement being released today.
      --> SEE http://chronicle.com/daily/2004/01/2004012102n.htm

      *

      [snip]

      MAGAZINES & JOURNALS

      A glance at the January issue of "Smithsonian":
      Understanding facial expressions

      Facial expressions are an important "part of our biological
      heritage," but many of us have forgotten how to interpret them,
      says Richard Conniff, a regular contributor to the magazine.

      It may be that the richness of language, which dates back only
      50,000 years, distracts us from the "older medium of faces," he
      writes. Or perhaps we've lost our knack for "reading faces"
      because we live in a very "different world from the one in which
      our facial expressions evolved," he writes.

      "Instead of spending a lifetime among the familiar faces of a
      small tribe, we now see hundreds of new faces daily, and we have
      learned to cope with overcrowding by not looking into the faces
      of strangers," Mr. Conniff observes.

      However, since September 11, 2001, reading people's faces in
      crowded airports and public places may be more important than
      ever, he argues. "Faces are our best window into other people's
      hearts," he writes. No "government security program, nor any
      computer network ever likely to be conceived, could possibly
      match the effectiveness of millions of ordinary people making
      conversation and looking one another in the face."

      A summary of the article, "Reading Faces," is available online
      at http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/toccurrent.shtml

      You'll find The Chronicle's home page at:

      http://chronicle.com

      If you would like your own copy of the Daily Report, and you are not yet
      a Chronicle subscriber, please visit us on the Web to
      subscribe:
      http://chronicle.com/subscribe/?dr

      Also from The Chronicle:

      The Chronicle of Philanthropy: news and information about
      foundations, charities, fund raising, and the nonprofit world,
      at:
      http://philanthropy.com

      Arts & Letters Daily: pithy summaries of some of the best
      writing on the Web, at:
      http://aldaily.com

      If you want to change the address at which you receive this
      e-mail message, change which messages you receive, change
      your login name or password, or make other changes in your account
      information, you can do so online at:
      http://chronicle.com/services/

      If you have other problems or questions, please send a message
      to:
      help@...

      Copyright (c) 2004 The Chronicle of Higher Education, Inc.