FW: 12/18/2003 Daily Report from The Chronicle of Higher Education

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2003
      From: The Chronicle [mailto:daily@...]
      Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 5:00 AM
      To: Chronicle Daily Report
      Subject: 12/18/2003 Daily Report from The Chronicle of Higher Education

      ACADEME TODAY: The Chronicle of Higher Education's
      Daily Report for subscribers

      Good day!

      Here are news bulletins from The Chronicle of Higher Education for
      Thursday, December 18.

      * [snip]

      HIGHLIGHTS FROM THIS WEEK'S CHRONICLE

      DEVIL OF A TIME: A Penn State researcher probes folklore's links
      to power and popular culture.
      --> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v50/i17/17a01801.htm

      [snip]

      THE DIARY AS WITNESS: In a lawless Colombian town, Michael
      Taussig, a professor of anthropology at Columbia University,
      tried to capture fleeting truths that didn't lend themselves to
      traditional scholarly analysis.
      --> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v50/i17/17b01201.htm

      DEEPLY ROOTED: Our desire for wood, in all its states, is innate
      -- and voracious.
      --> SEE http://chronicle.com/weekly/v50/i17/17b01901.htm

      --> FOR THE FULL TEXT of those and all other articles from the
      December 19 issue of The Chronicle, go to "This Week's
      Chronicle" at http://chronicle.com/chronicle/

      MAGAZINES & JOURNALS

      A glance at the summer-fall issue of "The Civic Arts Review": Why
      shopping is sacred

      Consumerism has not simply encroached on religious holidays, it
      has become a religion in itself -- the dominant postmodern
      religion, in fact, says Dell deChant, an instructor in the
      department of religious studies at the University of South
      Florida.

      The economy plays the same role in our culture that nature had
      in older religions. "Its order and process are beyond my grasp,
      or anyone's for that matter, including the CEO's of giant
      corporations and the chair of the Federal Reserve," he writes.
      "Its ways are at times capricious, ruthless, sudden, and
      uncompromising; it cannot be controlled. Its interest in me is
      indifferent at best; it colors all of my activities, even if I
      am not immediately aware of it. It tells me who I am, what I am,
      and what I am able to do."

      The cycle of acquiring, consuming, and disposing of products has
      become the core of our common myths and rituals, he says. The
      myths center on those whose relationship with the economy seems
      exemplary and easy -- those who can afford to buy expensive
      things, use them, and discard them to buy more. "We want to be
      like the heroes in the myths," he says, and "consume as they
      consume."

      During the holiday season, people engage more seriously in the
      rituals of consumption, and "pilgrimages to shrines and temples
      (stores and shopping malls) are more frequent," he writes.
      However, most Americans do not think much about it. "And this is
      exactly the point," he writes. "It is just the way things are.
      What 'is' is what 'ought' to be. To say otherwise, or to think
      too hard about it, is not appropriate, not normal, not in
      harmony with the sacred order and process of the Economy."

      The article, "The Economy as Religion: The Dynamics of Consumer
      Culture," is available online at
      http://car.owu.edu/Vol.%2016%20No.%202.html

      You'll find The Chronicle's home page at:

      http://chronicle.com

      If you would like your own copy of the Daily Report, and you are not yet
      a Chronicle subscriber, please visit us on the Web to
      subscribe:
      http://chronicle.com/subscribe/?dr

      Also from The Chronicle:

      The Chronicle of Philanthropy: news and information about
      foundations, charities, fund raising, and the nonprofit world,
      at:
      http://philanthropy.com

      Arts & Letters Daily: pithy summaries of some of the best
      writing on the Web, at:
      http://aldaily.com

      If you want to change the address at which you receive this
      e-mail message, change which messages you receive, change
      your login name or password, or make other changes in your account
      information, you can do so online at:
      http://chronicle.com/services/

      If you have other problems or questions, please send a message
      to:
      help@...

      Copyright (c) 2003 The Chronicle of Higher Education, Inc.