Re: [SACC-L] Teaching About: Race

  • Ann Kaupp
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003
      Thanks, Dianne.

      >>> Dianne.Chidester@... 12/01/03 03:05PM >>>
      I just picked up my Nov/Dec edition of "American Scientist" and it has
      an article in it by Pat Shipman. The title of the article is "We Are
      All Africans." The article can be found on-line at
      http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/28338

      Shipman is an adjunct prof at Penn State. Maybe we could ask her to
      participate in our "teaching about" series or 5-fields.

      She also wrote: The Evolution of Racism: Human Differences and the Use
      and Abuse of Science

      Here's a review:

      From Publishers Weekly
      Shipman, coauthor of The Neanderthals , has written an accessible
      history of the attempts of scientists, from the mid-19th century to the
      present, to grapple with issues of race. From Charles Darwin's
      wide-ranging explorations of evolution emerged fellow Briton's Thomas
      Henry Huxley's applications to human history. By the late 19th century,
      Herbert Spencer seized on Darwinism to argue for laissez-faire
      government. Darwin's cousin, Francis Galton, proposed the idea of
      eugenics: advancing the species through careful breeding. From eugenics
      came intelligence testing, used in the early 20th century to the
      detriment of immigrants to America and eventually by Nazi science.
      Shipman tracks the continuing controversy in the 1950s and 1960s about
      whether to examine or deny racial difference and discusses at much
      length a proposed but canceled 1992 conference on genetics and crime.
      This thoughtful study warns that treating race as a taboo subject
      hinders legitimate scientific investigation of differences among humans.

      Copyright 1994 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to the
      Hardcover
      <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0671754602/002-4614558-36
      49669?v=glance&s=books> edition.

      Dianne Lynn Chidester, M.A., Assistant Professor

      Social Sciences

      Jefferson Community College, SW

      1000 Community College Drive

      Louisville, KY 40272