RE: [SACC-L] Re: Teaching About: Race

  • Pamela Ford
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      RE: [SACC-L] Re: Teaching About: Race

      Me, too.  I used it today in class!

      Pamela Ford
      Mt. San Jacinto College
      San Jacinto, CA 92373

      -----Original Message-----
      From: gbagwell2003 [mailto:gbagwell@...]
      Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 1:07 PM
      To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SACC-L] Re: Teaching About: Race

      Diane Chidester,

      Many thanks for the reference to the American Scientist article.  It
      comes at a perfect time in my Physical Anthropology course this
      semester.

      George Bagwell, Prof.
      Colorado Mountain College
      Steamboat Springs, CO

      --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Chidester, Dianne  (Jefferson)"
      <Dianne.Chidester@k...> wrote:
      > I just picked up my Nov/Dec edition of "American Scientist" and it
      has
      > an article in it by Pat Shipman.  The title of the article is "We
      Are
      > All Africans."  The article can be found on-line at
      > http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/28338
      >
      > Shipman is an adjunct prof at Penn State.  Maybe we could ask her to
      > participate in our "teaching about" series or 5-fields.

      (snip...)

      http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/1MXolB/TM

    • Ann Kaupp
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003
        Thanks, Dianne.

        >>> Dianne.Chidester@... 12/01/03 03:05PM >>>
        I just picked up my Nov/Dec edition of "American Scientist" and it has
        an article in it by Pat Shipman. The title of the article is "We Are
        All Africans." The article can be found on-line at
        http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/28338

        Shipman is an adjunct prof at Penn State. Maybe we could ask her to
        participate in our "teaching about" series or 5-fields.

        She also wrote: The Evolution of Racism: Human Differences and the Use
        and Abuse of Science

        Here's a review:

        From Publishers Weekly
        Shipman, coauthor of The Neanderthals , has written an accessible
        history of the attempts of scientists, from the mid-19th century to the
        present, to grapple with issues of race. From Charles Darwin's
        wide-ranging explorations of evolution emerged fellow Briton's Thomas
        Henry Huxley's applications to human history. By the late 19th century,
        Herbert Spencer seized on Darwinism to argue for laissez-faire
        government. Darwin's cousin, Francis Galton, proposed the idea of
        eugenics: advancing the species through careful breeding. From eugenics
        came intelligence testing, used in the early 20th century to the
        detriment of immigrants to America and eventually by Nazi science.
        Shipman tracks the continuing controversy in the 1950s and 1960s about
        whether to examine or deny racial difference and discusses at much
        length a proposed but canceled 1992 conference on genetics and crime.
        This thoughtful study warns that treating race as a taboo subject
        hinders legitimate scientific investigation of differences among humans.

        Copyright 1994 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to the
        Hardcover
        <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0671754602/002-4614558-36
        49669?v=glance&s=books> edition.

        Dianne Lynn Chidester, M.A., Assistant Professor

        Social Sciences

        Jefferson Community College, SW

        1000 Community College Drive

        Louisville, KY 40272