Re: Teaching About: Race

  • gbagwell2003
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
      Diane Chidester,

      Many thanks for the reference to the American Scientist article. It
      comes at a perfect time in my Physical Anthropology course this
      semester.

      George Bagwell, Prof.
      Colorado Mountain College
      Steamboat Springs, CO

      --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)"
      <Dianne.Chidester@k...> wrote:
      > I just picked up my Nov/Dec edition of "American Scientist" and it
      has
      > an article in it by Pat Shipman. The title of the article is "We
      Are
      > All Africans." The article can be found on-line at
      > http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/28338
      >
      > Shipman is an adjunct prof at Penn State. Maybe we could ask her to
      > participate in our "teaching about" series or 5-fields.

      (snip...)
    • Pamela Ford
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
        RE: [SACC-L] Re: Teaching About: Race

        Me, too.  I used it today in class!

        Pamela Ford
        Mt. San Jacinto College
        San Jacinto, CA 92373

        <Dianne.Chidester@k...> wrote:
        > I just picked up my Nov/Dec edition of "American Scientist" and it
        has
        > an article in it by Pat Shipman.  The title of the article is "We
        Are
        > All Africans."  The article can be found on-line at
        > http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/28338
        >
        > Shipman is an adjunct prof at Penn State.  Maybe we could ask her to
        > participate in our "teaching about" series or 5-fields.

        (snip...)

        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/1MXolB/TM

      • Ann Kaupp
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003
          Thanks, Dianne.

          >>> Dianne.Chidester@... 12/01/03 03:05PM >>>
          I just picked up my Nov/Dec edition of "American Scientist" and it has
          an article in it by Pat Shipman. The title of the article is "We Are
          All Africans." The article can be found on-line at
          http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/28338

          Shipman is an adjunct prof at Penn State. Maybe we could ask her to
          participate in our "teaching about" series or 5-fields.

          She also wrote: The Evolution of Racism: Human Differences and the Use
          and Abuse of Science

          Here's a review:

          From Publishers Weekly
          Shipman, coauthor of The Neanderthals , has written an accessible
          history of the attempts of scientists, from the mid-19th century to the
          present, to grapple with issues of race. From Charles Darwin's
          wide-ranging explorations of evolution emerged fellow Briton's Thomas
          Henry Huxley's applications to human history. By the late 19th century,
          Herbert Spencer seized on Darwinism to argue for laissez-faire
          government. Darwin's cousin, Francis Galton, proposed the idea of
          eugenics: advancing the species through careful breeding. From eugenics
          came intelligence testing, used in the early 20th century to the
          detriment of immigrants to America and eventually by Nazi science.
          Shipman tracks the continuing controversy in the 1950s and 1960s about
          whether to examine or deny racial difference and discusses at much
          length a proposed but canceled 1992 conference on genetics and crime.
          This thoughtful study warns that treating race as a taboo subject
          hinders legitimate scientific investigation of differences among humans.

          Copyright 1994 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to the
          Hardcover
          <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0671754602/002-4614558-36
          49669?v=glance&s=books> edition.

          Dianne Lynn Chidester, M.A., Assistant Professor

          Social Sciences

          Jefferson Community College, SW

          1000 Community College Drive

          Louisville, KY 40272