Teaching About: Race

  • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003

      I just picked up my Nov/Dec edition of “American Scientist” and it has an article in it by Pat Shipman.  The title of the article is “We Are All Africans.”  The article can be found on-line at http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/28338

      Shipman is an adjunct prof at Penn State.  Maybe we could ask her to participate in our “teaching about” series or 5-fields.

      She also wrote: The Evolution of Racism: Human Differences and the Use and Abuse of Science

      Here’s a review:

      From Publishers Weekly
      Shipman, coauthor of The Neanderthals , has written an accessible history of the attempts of scientists, from the mid-19th century to the present, to grapple with issues of race. From Charles Darwin's wide-ranging explorations of evolution emerged fellow Briton's Thomas Henry Huxley's applications to human history. By the late 19th century, Herbert Spencer seized on Darwinism to argue for laissez-faire government. Darwin's cousin, Francis Galton, proposed the idea of eugenics: advancing the species through careful breeding. From eugenics came intelligence testing, used in the early 20th century to the detriment of immigrants to America and eventually by Nazi science. Shipman tracks the continuing controversy in the 1950s and 1960s about whether to examine or deny racial difference and discusses at much length a proposed but canceled 1992 conference on genetics and crime. This thoughtful study warns that treating race as a taboo subject hinders legitimate scientific investigation of differences among humans.
      Copyright 1994 Reed Business Information, Inc.
      --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

      Dianne Lynn Chidester, M.A., Assistant Professor

      Social Sciences

      Jefferson Community College, SW

      1000 Community College Drive

      Louisville, KY  40272

      (502) 213-7354

    • gbagwell2003
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
        Diane Chidester,

        Many thanks for the reference to the American Scientist article. It
        comes at a perfect time in my Physical Anthropology course this
        semester.

        George Bagwell, Prof.
        Colorado Mountain College
        Steamboat Springs, CO

        --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)"
        <Dianne.Chidester@k...> wrote:
        > I just picked up my Nov/Dec edition of "American Scientist" and it
        has
        > an article in it by Pat Shipman. The title of the article is "We
        Are
        > All Africans." The article can be found on-line at
        > http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/28338
        >
        > Shipman is an adjunct prof at Penn State. Maybe we could ask her to
        > participate in our "teaching about" series or 5-fields.

        (snip...)
      • Pamela Ford
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2003
          RE: [SACC-L] Re: Teaching About: Race

          Me, too.  I used it today in class!

          Pamela Ford
          Mt. San Jacinto College
          San Jacinto, CA 92373

          <Dianne.Chidester@k...> wrote:
          > I just picked up my Nov/Dec edition of "American Scientist" and it
          has
          > an article in it by Pat Shipman.  The title of the article is "We
          Are
          > All Africans."  The article can be found on-line at
          > http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/28338
          >
          > Shipman is an adjunct prof at Penn State.  Maybe we could ask her to
          > participate in our "teaching about" series or 5-fields.

          (snip...)

          http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/1MXolB/TM

        • Ann Kaupp
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003
            Thanks, Dianne.

            >>> Dianne.Chidester@... 12/01/03 03:05PM >>>
            I just picked up my Nov/Dec edition of "American Scientist" and it has
            an article in it by Pat Shipman. The title of the article is "We Are
            All Africans." The article can be found on-line at
            http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/28338

            Shipman is an adjunct prof at Penn State. Maybe we could ask her to
            participate in our "teaching about" series or 5-fields.

            She also wrote: The Evolution of Racism: Human Differences and the Use
            and Abuse of Science

            Here's a review:

            From Publishers Weekly
[...]

            <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0671754602/002-4614558-36