Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos

  • Ann Kaupp
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 19, 2003
      This information on film and video sources is from a leaflet that the
      Smithsonian's Anthropology Outreach Offices distributes:

      IV. ANTHROPOLOGICAL FILM RESOURCES:

      UC Berkeley Extension
      Center for Media and Independent Learning
      2000 Center St. 4th Floor
      Berkeley, CA 94704
      (510) 642-0460; Fax: (510) 642-4124
      email: askcmil@...
      Anthropology and archeology film catalogues.

      Documentary Educational Resources
      101 Morse St.
      Watertown, MA 02472
      (617) 926-0491; Fax: (617) 926-9519
      http://der.org/docued
      email: DER.ORG
      Catalogue and study guides available.

      The Pennsylvania State University
      Audio Visual Service,
      Special Services Bldg.
      1127 Fox Hill Rd.
      University Park, PA 16803-1824
      (814) 865-6314
      Toll free: (800) 826-0132
      Fax: (814) 863-2574
      email: avsmedia@...
      http://www.libraries.psu.edu/mtss/
      Films and videos

      National Geographic Society
      Educational Services
      P. O. Box 98019 Washington, D.C. 20090
      (800) 368-2728
      http://www.nationalgeographic.com
      Educational Films catalogue

      The Archaeological Institute of America
      656 Beacon Street
      Boston, MA 02215
      (617) 353-9361; Fax: (617) 353-6550
      http://www.archaeological.org
      email: aia@...
      Archaeology on Film 2nd ed. 2002
      catalogue price: $9.98 Available from
      David Brown Book Co., (800) 791-9354.

      National Museum of the American Indian
      Film and Video Department
      Smithsonian Institution
      George Gustav Heye Center
      1 Bowling Green
      New York, NY 10004
      (212) 514-3737; Fax: (212) 514-3800
      email:fvc@...
      www.si.edu/nmai/
      Native Americans on Film and Video

      Shenandoah Film Productions
      538 G St.
      Arcata, CA 95521
      (707) 822-1030; Fax: (707) 822-1035
      email: shenfilm@...
      Native American Videos catalog.
      Indian-owned enterprise.

      PBS Video
      1320 Braddock Place
      Alexandria, VA 22314-1698
      (703) 739-5380; Fax: (703) 739-5269
      www/pbs.org
      Sale distribution of three parts of the 14-part Odyssey television film
      series: "Myths and Mounds," "Inca," and "Maya."

      For Japanese feature films, contact:

      Facets Video
      1571 West Fullerton Ave.
      Chicago, IL 60614
      Tel: (800) 331-6197
      www.facets.org

      Movies Unlimited
      3015 Darnell Road
      Philadelphia, PA 19154
      Tel: (800) 668-4344
      www.moviesunlimited.com

      Center for South Asia Area
      University of Wisconsin-Madison
      203 Ingraham Hall, 1155 Observatory Dr.
      Madison, WI 53706
      (608) 262-4884; Fax: (608) 265-3062
      www.wisc.edu/southasia/films/index.html
      email: info@...
      South Asia films.

      Films for the Humanities & Sciences
      PO Box 2053
      Princeton, NJ 08543-2053
      (800) 257-5126 or (609) 275-3767
      http://www.films.com
      email: custserv@...

      BFA Educational Media
      2349 Chaffee Dr.
      St. Louis, MO 63146
      (314) 569-0211

      Vision Maker Video
      P.O. Box 83111
      Lincoln, NE 68501
      (402) 472-3522
      Fax: (402) 472-8675
      www.visionmaker.org
      (Films with a Native American perspective)

      Alarion Press
      P.O. Box 1882
      Boulder, CO 80306-1882
      (303) 433-9039; (800) 523-9177
      Fax: (303) 443-9098
      History Through Art and Archaeology (free catalogue. Includes videos
      prepared by the Archaeological Institute of America.)

      V. FILMSTRIPS AND SLIDE SETS

      National Geographic Society
      Educational Services
      P. O. Box 98019
      Washington, D.C. 20090
      (800) 368-2728
      http://www.nationalgeographic.com
      Educational Services catalogue (free)

      Educational Images Limited
      P.O. Box 3456
      Westside Station
      Elmira, NY 14905-0456
      (607) 732-1090; (800) 527-4264
      Fax: (607) 732-1183
      www.educationalimages.com
      email: edimages@...
      Audio Visuals and Software for Creative Teaching (free catalogue)

      Pictures of Record
      119 Kettle Creek Rd.
      Weston, CT 06883
      (203) 227-3387; Fax: (203) 222-9673
      email: picturesofrecord@...
      www.picturesofrecord.com
      Archeological slide sets and digital images of major pre-Columbian
      archeological sites and artifacts. (free catalogue)

      American Museum of Natural History
      Department of Library Services-Special Collections
      Central Park West at 79th St.
      New York, NY 10024
      (212) 769-5400; Fax: (212) 769-5009
      email: libraryweb@...
      http://library.amnh.org/special/index.html
      Color slides on exhibit halls and dioramas; human evolution; and
      American Indian, Asian, African, Mesoamerican cultures and artifacts.

      >>> lloyd.miller@... 11/18/03 06:03PM >>>
      Dear Frank,

      I've been retired from teaching for three years and thus my knowledge of
      video and visual materials is quite dated. Dianne Chidester (with whom
      you've already corresponded on the SACC ListServ) might be a good source.
      She wrote the instructor's manual and student
      guide for Heider's SEEING ANTHROPOLOGY, 1st ed and maybe the 2nd.

      If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.) Public TV
      programs. They usually offer programs they've aired for sale on videotape
      (probably now on DVD also) for reasonable prices. Also the U. of
      California, Berkeley has an extensive catalog of video
      materials for anthropology and other social sciences.

      Sorry I can't remember more. Best of luck!

      Sincerely,

      Lloyd

      Frank Timmermans wrote:

      > > Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos
      > > Date:
      > > Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:36:01 EST
      > > From:
      > > LJMil@...
      > > To:
      > > SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about
      classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to
      today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC
      NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

      > Dear Lloyd,
      >
      > I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
      > winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
      > the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
      > anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
      > there.
      >
      > Would you be willing to give me some pointers?
      >
      > Thank you very much in advance.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Frank

      Ann Kaupp, Head