RE: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos

  • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
      Heider's book is now in the 3rd edition. -- Dianne

      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
        Yeh, I've got it. but I'm still using #2.

        Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc  (NOTE THE NEW

        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/1MXolB/TM

        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
          Dear Frank,

          I've been retired from teaching for three years and thus my knowledge of video and visual materials is quite dated. Dianne Chidester (with whom you've already corresponded on the SACC ListServ) might be a good source. She wrote the instructor's manual and student
          guide for Heider's SEEING ANTHROPOLOGY, 1st ed and maybe the 2nd.

          If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.) Public TV programs. They usually offer programs they've aired for sale on videotape (probably now on DVD also) for reasonable prices. Also the U. of California, Berkeley has an extensive catalog of video
          materials for anthropology and other social sciences.

          Sorry I can't remember more. Best of luck!

          Sincerely,

          Lloyd

          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
            Heider & Hermer have also published an extensive listing of ethnographic
            films. It's called "Films for Anthropological Teaching." I think the
            most recent edition is 1995, so I know there are lots more there. Also,
            check the sources in "Seeing Anthropology." Heider lists several of the
            film companies and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to send you their
            lists!

            I agree with Lloyd Miller about using Public TV programs, too. I've
            found many of them to be quite good. I also have to admit that I've
            paid attention to some of the films and film clips used in the anthro
            and soc telecourses, too (e.g., "Faces of Culture").

            Happy Hunting!
            Dianne

          • anthropmor@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
              While I always recommend "The Language You Cry In" - I believe a 2000 release, there are many fine old and new releases.
              Is there somerthing more specific abou the videos you are looking for?
              For example, "The Language You Cry In" would fit for the topics of Africa, African americans, ethnomusicology, and colonialism.
              "Man of Aran" is more of a historical document about early ethnographic film attempts, although still nifty in parts.
              ( Europe -Ireland, peasnat societies,North Atlantic fishing traditions).
              Best Wishes- Mike Pavlik
            • anthropmor@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                In a message dated 11/18/2003 6:03:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, lloyd.miller@... writes:

                > If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.)
                > Public TV programs. They usually offer
                You can check out Nova & other shows at PBS.org.
                An excellent collection of shows -most available for purchase - someone at your library or media services probably allready has the ordering info.
                Best Wishes - Mike Pavlik
              • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                  In a message dated 11/18/2003 6:11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time, Dianne.Chidester@... writes:

                  > paid attention to some of the films and film clips used in
                  > the anthro
                  > and soc telecourses, too (e.g., "Faces of Culture").
                  If youre at the meetings, or any meetings with publishers- ask them about video supplements. You probably qualify for those, and they will send them to you gratis.
                  They should with the obscene prices of textbooks.
                  Best Mike Pavlik
                • Robert Muckle
                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                    An excellent video when dealing with assertions of aboriginal rights in
                    BLOCKADE, which focuses on rail and road blockades by a First Nation in
                    British Columbia. It is a very powerful film, which includes behind the
                    scenes strategizing sessions. The director/producer is Nettie Wild (who
                    also did A PLACE CALLED CHIAPIS). It is available from the National Film
                    Board in Canada. The film is 90 minutes.

                    Hugh Brody is a wonderful anthropologist/filmaker who has specialized
                    in ethnographic research and filming in northern Canada. One of my
                    favourites of his films is TREATY 8 COUNTRY, which focusses on a
                    Dunne-za summer hunting camp. It covers the same people he studied in
                    his book Maps and Dreams. There is no narration, just 45 minutes of good
                    film. Students stay focussed.

                    I also like Babakiueria. It is a 30 minute production out of Australia,
                    satirizing anthropology and 'white people.'
                    The title 'Babakiueria' is taken from 'Barbeque Area', which is how the
                    white people respond to the question by Australian aborigines when they
                    are asked 'What do you call this area?).

                    Bob Muckle
                  • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 19, 2003
                      Also, the PBS website often has quite good teaching materials to go
                      along with their shows. -- Dianne

                      lloyd.miller@... writes:

                      > If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.)
                      > Public TV programs. They usually offer
                      You can check out Nova & other shows at PBS.org.
                      An excellent collection of shows -most available for purchase - someone
                      at your library or media services probably allready has the ordering
                      info.
                      Best Wishes - Mike Pavlik

                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    • Ann Kaupp
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 19, 2003
                        This information on film and video sources is from a leaflet that the
                        Smithsonian's Anthropology Outreach Offices distributes:

                        IV. ANTHROPOLOGICAL FILM RESOURCES:

                        UC Berkeley Extension
                        Center for Media and Independent Learning
                        2000 Center St. 4th Floor
                        Berkeley, CA 94704
                        (510) 642-0460; Fax: (510) 642-4124
                        email: askcmil@...
                        Anthropology and archeology film catalogues.

                        Documentary Educational Resources
                        101 Morse St.
                        Watertown, MA 02472
                        (617) 926-0491; Fax: (617) 926-9519
                        http://der.org/docued
                        email: DER.ORG
                        Catalogue and study guides available.

                        The Pennsylvania State University
                        Audio Visual Service,
                        Special Services Bldg.
                        1127 Fox Hill Rd.
                        University Park, PA 16803-1824
                        (814) 865-6314
                        Toll free: (800) 826-0132
                        Fax: (814) 863-2574
                        email: avsmedia@...
                        http://www.libraries.psu.edu/mtss/
                        Films and videos

                        National Geographic Society
                        Educational Services
                        P. O. Box 98019 Washington, D.C. 20090
                        (800) 368-2728
                        http://www.nationalgeographic.com
                        Educational Films catalogue

                        The Archaeological Institute of America
                        656 Beacon Street
                        Boston, MA 02215
                        (617) 353-9361; Fax: (617) 353-6550
                        http://www.archaeological.org
                        email: aia@...
                        Archaeology on Film 2nd ed. 2002
                        catalogue price: $9.98 Available from
                        David Brown Book Co., (800) 791-9354.

                        National Museum of the American Indian
                        Film and Video Department
                        Smithsonian Institution
                        George Gustav Heye Center
                        1 Bowling Green
                        New York, NY 10004
                        (212) 514-3737; Fax: (212) 514-3800
                        email:fvc@...
                        www.si.edu/nmai/
                        Native Americans on Film and Video

                        Shenandoah Film Productions
                        538 G St.
                        Arcata, CA 95521
                        (707) 822-1030; Fax: (707) 822-1035
                        email: shenfilm@...
                        Native American Videos catalog.
                        Indian-owned enterprise.

                        PBS Video
                        1320 Braddock Place
                        Alexandria, VA 22314-1698
                        (703) 739-5380; Fax: (703) 739-5269
                        www/pbs.org
                        Sale distribution of three parts of the 14-part Odyssey television film
                        series: "Myths and Mounds," "Inca," and "Maya."

                        For Japanese feature films, contact:

                        Facets Video
                        1571 West Fullerton Ave.
                        Chicago, IL 60614
                        Tel: (800) 331-6197
                        www.facets.org

                        Movies Unlimited
                        3015 Darnell Road
                        Philadelphia, PA 19154
                        Tel: (800) 668-4344
                        www.moviesunlimited.com

                        Center for South Asia Area
                        University of Wisconsin-Madison
                        203 Ingraham Hall, 1155 Observatory Dr.
                        Madison, WI 53706
                        (608) 262-4884; Fax: (608) 265-3062
                        www.wisc.edu/southasia/films/index.html
                        email: info@...
                        South Asia films.

                        Films for the Humanities & Sciences
                        PO Box 2053
                        Princeton, NJ 08543-2053
                        (800) 257-5126 or (609) 275-3767
                        http://www.films.com
                        email: custserv@...

                        BFA Educational Media
                        2349 Chaffee Dr.
                        St. Louis, MO 63146
                        (314) 569-0211

                        Vision Maker Video
                        P.O. Box 83111
                        Lincoln, NE 68501
                        (402) 472-3522
                        Fax: (402) 472-8675
                        www.visionmaker.org
                        (Films with a Native American perspective)

                        Alarion Press
                        P.O. Box 1882
                        Boulder, CO 80306-1882
                        (303) 433-9039; (800) 523-9177
                        Fax: (303) 443-9098
                        History Through Art and Archaeology (free catalogue. Includes videos
                        prepared by the Archaeological Institute of America.)

                        V. FILMSTRIPS AND SLIDE SETS

                        National Geographic Society
                        Educational Services
                        P. O. Box 98019
                        Washington, D.C. 20090
                        (800) 368-2728
                        http://www.nationalgeographic.com
                        Educational Services catalogue (free)

                        Educational Images Limited
                        P.O. Box 3456
                        Westside Station
                        Elmira, NY 14905-0456
                        (607) 732-1090; (800) 527-4264
                        Fax: (607) 732-1183
                        www.educationalimages.com
                        email: edimages@...
                        Audio Visuals and Software for Creative Teaching (free catalogue)

                        Pictures of Record
                        119 Kettle Creek Rd.
                        Weston, CT 06883
                        (203) 227-3387; Fax: (203) 222-9673
                        email: picturesofrecord@...
                        www.picturesofrecord.com
                        Archeological slide sets and digital images of major pre-Columbian
                        archeological sites and artifacts. (free catalogue)

                        American Museum of Natural History
                        Department of Library Services-Special Collections
                        Central Park West at 79th St.
                        New York, NY 10024
                        (212) 769-5400; Fax: (212) 769-5009
                        email: libraryweb@...
                        http://library.amnh.org/special/index.html
                        Color slides on exhibit halls and dioramas; human evolution; and
                        American Indian, Asian, African, Mesoamerican cultures and artifacts.

                        >>> lloyd.miller@... 11/18/03 06:03PM >>>

                        Frank Timmermans wrote:

                        > > Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos
                        > > Date:
                        > > Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:36:01 EST
                        > > From:
                        > > LJMil@...
                        > > To:
                        > > SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
                        >
                        > > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about
                        classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to
                        today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC
                        NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

                        > Dear Lloyd,
                        >
                        > I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
                        > winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
                        > the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
                        > anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
                        > there.
                        >
                        > Would you be willing to give me some pointers?
                        >
                        > Thank you very much in advance.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        >
                        > Frank

                        Ann Kaupp, Head