Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos

  • Frank Timmermans
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
      > Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos
      > Date:
      > Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:36:01 EST
      > From:
      > LJMil@...
      > To:
      > SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

      > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

      Dear Lloyd,

      I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
      winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
      the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
      anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
      there.

      Would you be willing to give me some pointers?

      Thank you very much in advance.

      Cheers,

      Frank
    • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
        Heider's book is now in the 3rd edition. -- Dianne

        > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about
        classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to
        today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC
        NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

        Dear Lloyd,

        I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
        winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
        the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
        anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
        there.

        Would you be willing to give me some pointers?

        Thank you very much in advance.

        Cheers,

        Frank

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Dorothy Davis
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
          Yeh, I've got it. but I'm still using #2.

          Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc  (NOTE THE NEW

          http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/1MXolB/TM

          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
            Dear Frank,

            I've been retired from teaching for three years and thus my knowledge of video and visual materials is quite dated. Dianne Chidester (with whom you've already corresponded on the SACC ListServ) might be a good source. She wrote the instructor's manual and student
            guide for Heider's SEEING ANTHROPOLOGY, 1st ed and maybe the 2nd.

            If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.) Public TV programs. They usually offer programs they've aired for sale on videotape (probably now on DVD also) for reasonable prices. Also the U. of California, Berkeley has an extensive catalog of video
            materials for anthropology and other social sciences.

            Sorry I can't remember more. Best of luck!

            Sincerely,

            Lloyd

            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
              Heider & Hermer have also published an extensive listing of ethnographic
              films. It's called "Films for Anthropological Teaching." I think the
              most recent edition is 1995, so I know there are lots more there. Also,
              check the sources in "Seeing Anthropology." Heider lists several of the
              film companies and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to send you their
              lists!

              I agree with Lloyd Miller about using Public TV programs, too. I've
              found many of them to be quite good. I also have to admit that I've
              paid attention to some of the films and film clips used in the anthro
              and soc telecourses, too (e.g., "Faces of Culture").

              Happy Hunting!
              Dianne

            • anthropmor@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                While I always recommend "The Language You Cry In" - I believe a 2000 release, there are many fine old and new releases.
                Is there somerthing more specific abou the videos you are looking for?
                For example, "The Language You Cry In" would fit for the topics of Africa, African americans, ethnomusicology, and colonialism.
                "Man of Aran" is more of a historical document about early ethnographic film attempts, although still nifty in parts.
                ( Europe -Ireland, peasnat societies,North Atlantic fishing traditions).
                Best Wishes- Mike Pavlik
              • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                  In a message dated 11/18/2003 6:03:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, lloyd.miller@... writes:

                  > If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.)
                  > Public TV programs. They usually offer
                  You can check out Nova & other shows at PBS.org.
                  An excellent collection of shows -most available for purchase - someone at your library or media services probably allready has the ordering info.
                  Best Wishes - Mike Pavlik
                • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                    In a message dated 11/18/2003 6:11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time, Dianne.Chidester@... writes:

                    > paid attention to some of the films and film clips used in
                    > the anthro
                    > and soc telecourses, too (e.g., "Faces of Culture").
                    If youre at the meetings, or any meetings with publishers- ask them about video supplements. You probably qualify for those, and they will send them to you gratis.
                    They should with the obscene prices of textbooks.
                    Best Mike Pavlik
                  • Robert Muckle
                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                      An excellent video when dealing with assertions of aboriginal rights in
                      BLOCKADE, which focuses on rail and road blockades by a First Nation in
                      British Columbia. It is a very powerful film, which includes behind the
                      scenes strategizing sessions. The director/producer is Nettie Wild (who
                      also did A PLACE CALLED CHIAPIS). It is available from the National Film
                      Board in Canada. The film is 90 minutes.

                      Hugh Brody is a wonderful anthropologist/filmaker who has specialized
                      in ethnographic research and filming in northern Canada. One of my
                      favourites of his films is TREATY 8 COUNTRY, which focusses on a
                      Dunne-za summer hunting camp. It covers the same people he studied in
                      his book Maps and Dreams. There is no narration, just 45 minutes of good
                      film. Students stay focussed.

                      I also like Babakiueria. It is a 30 minute production out of Australia,
                      satirizing anthropology and 'white people.'
                      The title 'Babakiueria' is taken from 'Barbeque Area', which is how the
                      white people respond to the question by Australian aborigines when they
                      are asked 'What do you call this area?).

                      Bob Muckle
                    • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 19, 2003
                        Also, the PBS website often has quite good teaching materials to go
                        along with their shows. -- Dianne

                        lloyd.miller@... writes:

                        > If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.)
                        > Public TV programs. They usually offer
                        You can check out Nova & other shows at PBS.org.
                        An excellent collection of shows -most available for purchase - someone
                        at your library or media services probably allready has the ordering
                        info.
                        Best Wishes - Mike Pavlik

                        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      • Ann Kaupp
                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 19, 2003
                          This information on film and video sources is from a leaflet that the
                          Smithsonian's Anthropology Outreach Offices distributes:

                          IV. ANTHROPOLOGICAL FILM RESOURCES:

                          UC Berkeley Extension
                          Center for Media and Independent Learning
                          2000 Center St. 4th Floor
                          Berkeley, CA 94704
                          (510) 642-0460; Fax: (510) 642-4124
                          email: askcmil@...
                          Anthropology and archeology film catalogues.

                          Documentary Educational Resources
                          101 Morse St.
                          Watertown, MA 02472
                          (617) 926-0491; Fax: (617) 926-9519
                          http://der.org/docued
                          email: DER.ORG
                          Catalogue and study guides available.

                          The Pennsylvania State University
                          Audio Visual Service,
                          Special Services Bldg.
                          1127 Fox Hill Rd.
                          University Park, PA 16803-1824
                          (814) 865-6314
                          Toll free: (800) 826-0132
                          Fax: (814) 863-2574
                          email: avsmedia@...
                          http://www.libraries.psu.edu/mtss/
                          Films and videos

                          National Geographic Society
                          Educational Services
                          P. O. Box 98019 Washington, D.C. 20090
                          (800) 368-2728
                          http://www.nationalgeographic.com
                          Educational Films catalogue

                          The Archaeological Institute of America
                          656 Beacon Street
                          Boston, MA 02215
                          (617) 353-9361; Fax: (617) 353-6550
                          http://www.archaeological.org
                          email: aia@...
                          Archaeology on Film 2nd ed. 2002
                          catalogue price: $9.98 Available from
                          David Brown Book Co., (800) 791-9354.

                          National Museum of the American Indian
                          Film and Video Department
                          Smithsonian Institution
                          George Gustav Heye Center
                          1 Bowling Green
                          New York, NY 10004
                          (212) 514-3737; Fax: (212) 514-3800
                          email:fvc@...
                          www.si.edu/nmai/
                          Native Americans on Film and Video

                          Shenandoah Film Productions
                          538 G St.
                          Arcata, CA 95521
                          (707) 822-1030; Fax: (707) 822-1035
                          email: shenfilm@...
                          Native American Videos catalog.
                          Indian-owned enterprise.

                          PBS Video
                          1320 Braddock Place
                          Alexandria, VA 22314-1698
                          (703) 739-5380; Fax: (703) 739-5269
                          www/pbs.org
                          Sale distribution of three parts of the 14-part Odyssey television film
                          series: "Myths and Mounds," "Inca," and "Maya."

                          For Japanese feature films, contact:

                          Facets Video
                          1571 West Fullerton Ave.
                          Chicago, IL 60614
                          Tel: (800) 331-6197
                          www.facets.org

                          Movies Unlimited
                          3015 Darnell Road
                          Philadelphia, PA 19154
                          Tel: (800) 668-4344
                          www.moviesunlimited.com

                          Center for South Asia Area
                          University of Wisconsin-Madison
                          203 Ingraham Hall, 1155 Observatory Dr.
                          Madison, WI 53706
                          (608) 262-4884; Fax: (608) 265-3062
                          www.wisc.edu/southasia/films/index.html
                          email: info@...
                          South Asia films.

                          Films for the Humanities & Sciences
                          PO Box 2053
                          Princeton, NJ 08543-2053
                          (800) 257-5126 or (609) 275-3767
                          http://www.films.com
                          email: custserv@...

                          BFA Educational Media
                          2349 Chaffee Dr.
                          St. Louis, MO 63146
                          (314) 569-0211

                          Vision Maker Video
                          P.O. Box 83111
                          Lincoln, NE 68501
                          (402) 472-3522
                          Fax: (402) 472-8675
                          www.visionmaker.org
                          (Films with a Native American perspective)

                          Alarion Press
                          P.O. Box 1882
                          Boulder, CO 80306-1882
                          (303) 433-9039; (800) 523-9177
                          Fax: (303) 443-9098
                          History Through Art and Archaeology (free catalogue. Includes videos
                          prepared by the Archaeological Institute of America.)

                          V. FILMSTRIPS AND SLIDE SETS

                          National Geographic Society
                          Educational Services
                          P. O. Box 98019
                          Washington, D.C. 20090
                          (800) 368-2728
                          http://www.nationalgeographic.com
                          Educational Services catalogue (free)

                          Educational Images Limited
                          P.O. Box 3456
                          Westside Station
                          Elmira, NY 14905-0456
                          (607) 732-1090; (800) 527-4264
                          Fax: (607) 732-1183
                          www.educationalimages.com
                          email: edimages@...
                          Audio Visuals and Software for Creative Teaching (free catalogue)

                          Pictures of Record
                          119 Kettle Creek Rd.
                          Weston, CT 06883
                          (203) 227-3387; Fax: (203) 222-9673
                          email: picturesofrecord@...
                          www.picturesofrecord.com
                          Archeological slide sets and digital images of major pre-Columbian
                          archeological sites and artifacts. (free catalogue)

                          American Museum of Natural History
                          Department of Library Services-Special Collections
                          Central Park West at 79th St.
                          New York, NY 10024
                          (212) 769-5400; Fax: (212) 769-5009
                          email: libraryweb@...
                          http://library.amnh.org/special/index.html
                          Color slides on exhibit halls and dioramas; human evolution; and
                          American Indian, Asian, African, Mesoamerican cultures and artifacts.

                          >>> lloyd.miller@... 11/18/03 06:03PM >>>

                          Frank Timmermans wrote:

                          > > Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos
                          > > Date:
                          > > Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:36:01 EST
                          > > From:
                          > > LJMil@...
                          > > To:
                          > > SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
                          >
                          > > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about
                          classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to
                          today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC
                          NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

                          > Dear Lloyd,
                          >
                          > I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
                          > winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
                          > the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
                          > anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
                          > there.
                          >
                          > Would you be willing to give me some pointers?
                          >
                          > Thank you very much in advance.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          >
                          > Frank

                          Ann Kaupp, Head