Question

  • Patricia Miller-Shaivitz (561)367-4608
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 1999
      Does anyone know of a film series that could be used for a telecourse for
      Introduction of Anthropology? I am familiar with the series, Faces of
      Culture, but this series does not cover physical, archaeology, or applied
      anthropology. I look forward to some responses, and I thank you in advance
      for your time.

      Patricia Miller-Shaivitz, Ph.D.
      Associate Professor
      Palm Beach Community College
      e-mail shaivip@...
    • Beverly Bennett
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 1999
        I've found the Millennium series by David Maybury-Lewis quite useful. It
        uses quite a different set of perspectives for viewing many different
        cultures, demonstrating the value of "tribal wisdom" for all of us.

        Another, very different possibility, and one I'm considering using for my
        videos that the students receive. These include about 20 segments from
        films, around 6-9 minutes each. I haven't finished reviewing it but have
        liked it so far.

        Beverly Bennett
      • Barry D Kass
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 1999
          Hi Beverly,
          I used the Heider book for a couple of semesters and didn't care for it
          very much. I thought the text was too idiosyncratic ( the chapter on
          cultural symbols was placed toward the end of the text, instead of during
          the initial discussions of the culture concept, where I thought it should
          be ), and, while some of the video clips were interesting and useful, many
          of them were not ( my students especially disliked the one on Dani
          children's games ). Just my opinion.
          Barry Kass

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 10, 1999
            excellent question and I have no answer, other than to assign "Faces" and
            add modules of archaeological and physical anthro. Ann Popplestone has done
            a very nice video-assisted distance learning course in physical which you
            could review and the "Discovery" arch. telecourse has some videos that might
            work.