FW: Ohio science curriculum model reviews

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2003
      Message

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Skip Evans [mailto:skip@...]
      Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 6:10 PM
      To: Skip Evans
      Subject: Ohio science curriculum model reviews

      Dear Ohio NCSE member,

      As you know, last year Ohio drafted new statewide science standards. Though pressure from creationists to water down the treatment of evolution was intense, scientists, teachers, parents, and concerned citizens in Ohio successfully defended the standards, and Ohio now has some of the best in the country.

      However, creationists have not given up yet. Now that the standards are in place, Ohio is in the process of creating model curricula based on the standards, and creationists on the committees writing the standards have succeeded in creating activities that they believe “teach the controversy” over evolution.

      The Ohio Department of Education is currently accepting applications for science teachers to field test and for Ohio residents to review the newly written curricula models. Now that your state has excellent standards in place, it is vitally important that the curricula based on those standards reflect the same high scientific standards and pedagogical quality.

      If you are a science teacher interested in field testing the models, or a Ohio resident interested in reviewing the models, see the Ohio Department of Education web pages discussing the topic at: http://www.ode.state.oh.us/academic_content_standards/misc/FieldTestParticipationForm.asp"http://www.ode.state.oh.us/academic_content_standards/misc/FieldTestParticipationForm.asp).

      If you do decide to participate in the field test or review, let us know if we can help with your analysis. We would be very interested in seeing the documents, which so far we have not been able to obtain.

      If I can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me.
      --
      Skip Evans
      Network Project Director

      NCSE now has a one way broadcast news list.
      Please note that this is NOT a discussion
      list. You cannot post messages for members
      to receive. We use this list to broadcast
      news about the creationism/evolution issue
      to interested parties.

      To sign up send:
      subscribe ncse your@...
      to: majordomo@...