FW: [ANTHRO-L] Anthropology & Media sessions at AAA 2003, Chicago [fwd]

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2003
      From: Anthro-L [mailto:Anthro-l@...] On Behalf Of Jarvis, Hugh
      Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 2:01 PM
      To: ANTHRO-L@...
      Subject: [ANTHRO-L] Anthropology & Media sessions at AAA 2003, Chicago [fwd]

      [Fyi all. Details below. Hugh]

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Merry Bruns [mailto:mbruns@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 2:05 PM
      Subject: Anthropology & Media sessions at AAA 2003, Chicago

      Dear friends,

      I'll be holding a session and workshop on Anthropology, communications and media at the upcoming AAA Annual Meeting, November 19-23, in Chicago.

      Both events are focused on anthropology and communications, science writers and anthropologists, and reaching general audiences about our work.

      EUR Information about both sessions is at http://www.sciencesitescom.com/CASC/aaa2003.html

      "MEET THE PRESS: ANTHROPOLOGISTS TALK WITH SCIENCE WRITERS " (workshop) and
      "MEDIA AND ANTHROPOLOGISTS: USING STORYTELLING TO COMMUNICATE" (session)

      EUR You can sign up for the workshop by calling AAA at
      (703) 528-1902, ext 3025 for instructions.
      or you can sign up at the door.

      Please feel free to re-post this announcement anywhere you like, and contact me if you have further questions.

      Cheers,

      Merry Bruns, Dir.
      CASC-The Center for Anthropology and Science Communications http://www.sciencesitescom.com/CASC
      ----------
      EUR WORKSHOP

      "MEET THE PRESS: ANTHROPOLOGISTS TALK WITH SCIENCE WRITERS "

      Thurs. 11/20
      2:00 PM- 04:00 PM
      Chicago Hilton & Towers
      Room: Conference 4L

      * Sign up by calling AAA at (703) 528-1902, ext 3025 for instructions. Or sign up at the door.

      http://www.sciencesitescom.com/CASC/aaa2003.html

      How do editors decide what science stories to publish? Who makes the decisions about running science news items? Does the media cover anthropology in a responsible manner?

      Science writers are the journalists who write about us - in print, online, over broadcast, and in popular books.

      They're our most powerful conduit to the public. At this year's roundtable, they'll talk with us about what they look for in stories, how their own medium often constrains what they write, communication problems with academics, and how that communication can be improved.

      This is a chance for anthropologists to find out what makes the media tick - and to improve communications by talking freely with professionals in the field.

      EUR SESSION

      "MEDIA AND ANTHROPOLOGISTS: USING STORYTELLING TO COMMUNICATE" "

      Wednesday 11/19
      2:00 PM -3:45 PM
      Chicago Hilton & Towers
      Room: Conference 4C

      http://www.sciencesitescom.com/CASC/aaa2003.html

      Science writers use storytelling as a means of communicating complex ideas to the public. They frame stories in a variety of ways to explain, illustrate, entice, or excite readers who might otherwise have a hard time understanding -or caring- about what the topicĀ¹s about.

      Anthropologists use storytelling for other reasons-but this is one area in which the methodologies may dovetail. Does this strategy work in communicating anthropology to media, and to the public, and if so, why?

      Our speakers will discuss using storytelling techniques in their dealings with media and the public, and how well they feel it has worked to communicate what their research is about.

      Any questions? Please feel free to contact me about details!

      Cheers,

      Merry Bruns
      Dir., CASC