FW: request for teaching activities

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2003
      Ann, I can't recall, but did our message to SACC members go out asking
      for teaching materials for our web site?

      Dear SACC Members,

      At the annual meeting in Vancouver I announced the formation of a
      committee that would compile, review, and edit educational materials for
      the SACC website. Our primary intention is for SACC to be a resource for
      K-12 teachers. This project is also an opportunity for SACC members to
      share teaching strategies and resources as is done at the society's
      annual meeting. The project's committee members are Chuck Ellenbaum,
      Mark Lewine, Ellen Johnson, Phil Naftaly, and Ann Kaupp.

      Since anthropology is an interdisciplinary field, anthropological
      materials frequently fulfill content standards for various disciplines
      such as history (i.e, study of past peoples), geography (i.e.,
      environment and society, places and regions), social studies (i.e.,
      culture, continuity, and change), and science (i.e., science as
      inquiry). It satisfies several areas of the National Content Standards
      including content depth and breadth, the context of learning, problem
      solving, and critical thinking.

      Many of you have shared your ideas regarding the kinds of materials we
      might place online such as syllabi, lesson plans, homework assignments,
      class activities, projects, and resources. We would like to begin this
      project by asking you to submit your best teaching activities-those you
      have found to be "tried and true" and valued by students.

      Given the considerable time constraints that teachers face, they prefer
      teaching activities that don't require a great deal of preparation time
      and that are not too complex. Please include the following information
      for each
      activity:
      1) Appropriate subjects
      2) Grade level
      3) Teacher preparation time
      4) Activity time
      5) Required materials or resources
      6) Objectives or learning outcomes

      Please send your activities via email to project chair Ann Kaupp at
      kaupp.ann@....