FW: [ANTHRO-L] Call for Papers: Human Complex Systems III

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2003
      Message

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Anthro-L [mailto:Anthro-l@...] On Behalf Of Nick Gessler
      Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 3:45 PM
      To: ANTHRO-L@...
      Subject: [ANTHRO-L] Call for Papers: Human Complex Systems III

      HUMAN COMPLEX SYSTEMS III
      CALL FOR PAPERS

      Hello!

      After two successful years, we're back!!!
      Join us for the Third Annual Lake Arrowhead Conference on Human Complex Systems.
      Wednesday, May 19 through Sunday, May 23, 2004.

      We welcome back all the participants from the past two years, and especially newcomers.
      An invitation follows below. Further information is available on our website at:
      http://www.hcs.ucla.edu/arrowhead.htm

      WE INVITE PAPERS AND SESSIONS ON THE FOLLOWING TOPICS:

      Agent Modeling Methodologies
      Modeling Approaches: Evolutionary Computation, Cellular Automata, Genetic Algorithms, Neural Networks, Simulated Annealing
      Robustness and Validity Issues
      Intersections with Mathematics, Human Experiments, and Social Epistemology
      Artificial Societies and Artificial Cultures
      Physical and Virtual Robot Societies and Cultures
      Complexity and Chaos Theory
      Emergent Social Structure
      Social Network Dynamics
      Spatial Analysis
      Game Theory
      Knowledge, Distributed Intelligence, and Distributed Cognition
      Governance, Centralization, Decentralization
      Agent-Related Systems Dynamics
      Public and Private Sector Applications
      Disciplinary and Multi- and Interdisciplinary Applications
      Topics of Your Choice

      We encourage papers at the cutting-edge of agent-based modeling that are relevant to the social science community broadly defined.

      WE ESPECIALLY INVITE SESSION PROPOSALS ON THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:

      1. Models for scientific (truth) justification or practical usefulness?
      2. Models, Proof, and Prediction?
      3. Are we modeling more than slime mold complexity?
      4. Are models without memory and path dependency useful in social science?
      5. How much should we KISS? The old "simple vs. complex" debate.
      6. How much model validation with real world data should be required for publication?
      7. Most models fail to meet Stanley Salthe's "triadic structure" standard. A problem?
      8. Should models get into Aristotelian causes & coevolutionary causal dynamics?
      9. Simulated agents are usually always activated. People aren't. Does this make models invalid?
      10. What basic theories of order creation are implied in social science agent-based models?
      11. Are models mixing order creation and statistics oxymoronic? What to do about this?
      12. Self-interest vs. "embeddedness" rules. Economics vs. Sociology? Should modelers care?
      13. Agent models vs. math. Is there a difference? Should modelers worry? Math old fashioned?

      This year's conference is once again at the UCLA Lake Arrowhead Conference Center:
      http://www.uclaconferencecenter.com

      The all inclusive prices are below.
      These include EVERYTHING: lodging, meals, transportation, conference registration:

      Students: $650
      Faculty: $800
      Private Sector: $900

      We look forward to seeing you at Lake Arrowhead!

      Best wishes,

      Phil Bonacich
      Nicholas Gessler
      Susanne Lohmann