FW: A Call for Support from New Mexico

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2003
      From: Steven A. Edinger [mailto:Steven.Edinger.1@...]
      Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2003 3:08 PM
      To: Science Education List Serve
      Subject: A Call for Support from New Mexico

      It's been a while since I updated you on what's going on in NM. Our
      science standards have been written and are out on public review. The
      final version will be approved by our state Board of Education the end
      of August, and of course, ID is trying to change them. We could use
      some help, and being from out-of-state may not matter. Message below,
      forwarded with permission.

      -- Marilyn

      This is an urgent request for you to help New Mexico produce outstanding
      science standards. The revised standards can be found at

      The State Department of Education and the State Board of Education will
      be carefully evaluating and tabulating the public response to these

      Please go to the SDE website for the Public Comment Forum and send in
      your comments at:

      Also, please encourage your colleagues, teachers, parents, et al., to
      also send
      in their comments.

      The NMAS, CESE, NMSR, and others have been working hard to support the
      writing teams and ensure the quality of the science standards. We, along
      with a group of teachers, scientists, and others are providing the SDE
      with a few suggestions for improving the standards. But, overall, they
      are very good.

      Please take a few minutes to fill out the comment form. If the State
      Board determines that the overwhelming public response is positive, then
      the standards are more likely to be approved with few or no changes at
      the August State Board meeting. THIS IS AN OPPORTUNITY TO CONTRIBUTE TO
      GOOD SCIENCE IN NEW MEXICO. The deadline is July 3, but please go to the
      website as soon as possible.

      You CAN make a difference!

      Marshall Berman

      Please see the Ohio Citizens for Science's web page at:

      "The man of science has learned to believe in justification, not by
      faith, but by verification."
      -- Thomas H. Huxley (1825-95) English biologist.

      "There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets
      knowledge, the latter ignorance."
      -- Hippocrates (c460-c.377 BCE) Greek physician

      "Most institutions demand unqualified faith; but the institution of
      science makes skepticism a virtue."
      -- Robert K. Merton, Social Theory, 1957.

      "Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
      -- Theodosius Dobzhansky, 1973

      Steven A. Edinger, Physiology Lab Instructor

      064 Irvine Hall
      Department of Biological Sciences
      Ohio University Office: (740) 593-9484
      Athens, Ohio 45701-2979 Fax: (740) 593-0300