FW: [ANTHRO-L] Fw: CFP (AAA Panel Proposal) - Anthropology at the Dawn of the Cold War

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2003
      From: Dustin M. Wax [mailto:dmwax@...]
      Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 3:26 PM
      To: ANTHRO-L@...
      Subject: [ANTHRO-L] Fw: CFP (AAA Panel Proposal) - Anthropology at the
      Dawn of the Cold War

      Call for Papers for AAA 2003 Proposed Panel "Anthropology at the Dawn of
      the Cold War" (Please circulate widely)

      This is a call for papers for a proposed panel for the 2003 American
      Anthropological Associations annual meeting, Nov. 19-23 in Chicago. The
      proposal is subject to approval by the AAA. If interested, please send
      an abstract of your proposed paper to dwax@... as soon as possible;
      you will receive further instructions of submitting your abstract the
      AAA. Please note that you must be an AAA member as of April 1, 2003 to
      qualify to present at the 2002 AAA annual meeting.

      Anthropology at the Dawn of the Cold War (Abstract)

      In the wake of World War II, the relationship between anthropologists
      and the American government assumed a new importance to the development
      of the discipline. New sources of funding appeared, new field sites were
      opened up, and new jobs were created, both inside the academic world
      with the founding and expansion of anthropology departments and
      interdisciplinary area studies institutes, and outside the academy as
      consultants to government projects. At the same time, already-existing
      institutions were expanded to accommodate an influx of new students
      under the GI Bill and the professors and professional anthropologists
      they became on completing their educations.

      Although some attention has been given to this period, the lack of
      historical distance and inability to access key documents has stood in
      the way of any organized examination of these years. With the end of the
      Cold War and the passing of time, however, we are better able to cast a
      critical eye over the events of the early Cold War years. Also many
      documents have been made available through research enabled by the
      Freedom of Information Act and in personal papers of central actors made
      available in university and archive collections. In the current social
      and political climate, parallels between the Cold War period and the
      present are increasingly drawn, and thus it seems more important than
      ever to examine the ways in whi ch anthropology adapted to, resisted,
      and took part in the mobilization for the Cold War.

      This session is an attempt to begin working towards a better
      understanding of our discipline's immediate past. What has been examine
      the impact of funding, government work, political repression, and
      professionalization on the ideas, institutions, and practices that
      emerged in Cold War anthropology? What theoretical frameworks can we
      bring to bear on this history? What gaps exist in our knowledge of these
      years? What has been hidden or erased? What methodologies can aid us in
      gaining, interrogating, and understanding our data? What do our
      understandings of the Cold War tell us about contemporary anthropology,
      or about contemporary society? What does it fail to illuminate?

      ---

      // Unsubscribe/suspend (NOMAIL), INDEX or DIGEST modes... \\
      || http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=anthro-l&A=1 ||
      \\ Archives: http://listserv.buffalo.edu/archives/anthro-l.html //