NSF Policy Planning Workshop

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2003

      I am very excited about the opportunity copied below to provide input from community colleges for national policy regarding planning and funding of the social sciences at this workshop in DC this summer.  I believe our SACC publications on collaborative, interdisciplinary research to provide a pathway of educational opportunity from K-12 through community college to university has made some impact.  Please help me strategize how to get best input from colleagues before I go.  Thanks.

      Copy of invitation sent as follows:

      Directorate for Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences National Science Foundation 4201 Wilson Boulevard

      Arlington, Virginia   22230

      March 3, 2003

      Dear Dr. Lewine:

      I am writing to invite you to attend a National Science Foundation (NSF) workshop on “Improving Education in the Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences: A National Dialogue,” on June 12-13, 2003 in Washington, DC.  The purpose of this workshop is to create a plan of action regarding educational improvement, research, and human resource development in the social and behavioral sciences.  The Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences (SBE) Directorate seeks to develop a long-range plan to (1) accelerate educational innovation and improve the quality and diversity of social and behavioral science graduates who enter the workforce, and (2) advance knowledge and understanding of the social and behavioral sciences throughout our citizenry.

      The workshop will be two full days in the Washington DC area.  During the meeting, we will examine current patterns and practices and the needs for education and training in the social, behavioral, and economic sciences from the vantage of building scientific capacity and promoting scientific literacy.  Considerable attention will be devoted to ongoing programs, innovations, and opportunities at the K-12, two-year, undergraduate, graduate, postdoctoral, and early career levels.  Topics that we may want to consider include: course and curricula development, research experiences, mentoring, teacher training and faculty enhancement, participation of underrepresented groups, assessment of the varying requirements of the different disciplines, and interdisciplinary training.

      The SBE Directorate, with the active participation of the Directorate for Education and Human Resources, is reaching out to an interdisciplinary group of approximately 50-60 social and behavioral scientists who will bring expertise and experience in training and education in their fields.  We very much want and need your participation and engagement with us in this process of strategic planning so that the SBE Directorate and the National Science Foundation can put in place initiatives and activities with maximum probability of accomplishing our goals.  We have scheduled the workshop in June so that the product of this event can usefully contribute to the planning and budgetary process over the next few years.

      Over the past decade, in particular, there has been increasing recognition of the value and role of the social, behavioral, and economic sciences in the “family of science” for addressing the most significant challenges that we face as a nation and as a planet.  NSF is very far along in a proposed new NSF-wide priority area on Human and Social Dynamics.  As need and demand for our knowledge increases, we must invest in ensuring that the talent pool and human capacity are both sufficient and prepared to undertake this important work.  The June meeting is specifically addressed to that end.

      We hope that your schedule permits attending this workshop and contributing to the development of an education and training plan of action for the social and behavioral sciences.  We are writing in advance of sending a formal letter, agenda, and related materials because we want to avoid the scheduling conflicts that invariably arise when invitations arrive too close to meeting dates.  We are sending this invitation by e-mail to communicate as rapidly as possible about your availability.  Please respond by Monday, March 10 to Bonney Sheahan, Program Director for Cross-Directorate Activities, at bsheahan@... or at 703-292-7291.  Your travel and related costs for attending this workshop will be covered by the National Science Foundation.

      Thank you in advance for your consideration.  I hope to see you there.

      Sincerely,

      Norman M. Bradburn

      Assistant Director

      Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences