FW: [ANTHRO-L] George Quimby obit [fwd]

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2003
      From: Jarvis, Hugh [mailto:hjarvis@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 5:32 PM
      To: ANTHRO-L@...
      Subject: [ANTHRO-L] George Quimby obit [fwd]

      Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:19:29 -0600
      From: "Mark C. Branstner" <markbranst@...>
      Subject: George I. Quimby Obituary

      Friends,

      Dr. Jan Brashler of Grand Valley State University requested that I
      forward this to the Conference on Michigan Archaeology membership about
      one of our Emeritus Fellows. It was authored by his son. I have also
      forwarded it to HISTARCH and ARCHLIST.

      Mark C. Branstner
      Secretary, COMA

      GEORGE I. QUIMBY, 1913 - 2003
      HE PURSUED LIFELONG INTERESTS IN ARCHAEOLOGY AND ANTHROPOLOGY

      On February 17, Professor George I. Quimby, one of American
      archaeology's most distinguished practitioners, died of
      pneumonia-related causes in Seattle. He was 89. The descendant of
      pre-Revolutionary American pioneers, he was born in Grand Rapids to
      George Irving Quimby and Ethelwyn Sweet Quimby.

      His father was proprietor of Raymers Bookstore in Grand Rapids and young
      Quimby enjoyed many hours buried in books. In an autobiographical
      sketch he penned for American Antiquity magazine in 1993, Professor
      Quimby, said his interest in archaeology and anthropology began in his
      childhood. He recalled that, "My parents were interested in the history
      of the Grand Rapids area, including Indian group.... As a young boy in
      Western Michigan I remember looking for stone arrowheads in the hollows
      among the sand dunes."

      Also an avid sailor in his youth, he recalled that, "among my most
      pleasant memories are those of cruising in the Upper Great Lakes for
      three summers from 1930 to 1932.... I visited many islands and other
      isolated communities that were more typical of the nineteenth century
      than of the twentieth. I saw Indian villages, fishing villages, and
      small farming communities, scenes more familiar to my ancestors than to
      my descendants."

      After receiving a B.A and M.A in anthropology at the University of
      Michigan, Ann Arbor, and graduate studies at the University of Chicago,
      Quimby joined the Field Museum in Chicago, later becoming curator of
      North American Anthropology and Ethnology. After 23 years there, he
      moved his family to Seattle in 1965, where he was Professor of
      Anthropology at the University of Washington and, beginning in 1968,
      Director of the Thomas Burke Memorial Washington State Museum.

      When he left Chicago to come to the University of Washington, his work
      had spanned the Late Pleistocene through the historic period, from the
      Arctic to the Gulf of Mexico and beyond. Among publications from his
      Chicago years were several books, including "Indian Life in the Upper
      Great Lakes 11,000 B.C. to A.D. 1800" and "Indian Culture and European
      Trade Goods: The Archaeology of the Historic Period in the Western Great
      Lakes Region."

      On becoming a resident of the Pacific Northwest, he grew increasingly
      interested in Northwest Coast archaeology and ethnohistory. This led to
      collaboration with colleague Bill Holm on restoration of an early
      documentary film by Edward Curtis, released in 1973 as "In the Land of
      the War Canoes," another film in 1979 titled, "The Image Maker and the
      Indians: Edward Curtis and his 1914 Kwakiutl Movie," and a 1980 book
      titled, "Edward S. Curtis in the Land of the War Canoes: A Pioneer
      Cinematographer in the Pacific Northwest." Quimby retired from the
      University of Washington in 1983 as Professor Emeritus.

      His list of numerous anthropological articles and various other
      publications spans 1937 to 1994. His honors include the Distinguished
      Service award in 1989 from the Society for American Archaeology and an
      honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from Grand Valley State University
      in 1992. During his lifelong career in archaeological and
      anthropological research and education, he touched the lives of many
      people, not only colleagues, but several generations of anthropology
      students and museum enthusiasts.

      He was preceded in death by his sister Mabel Lowe Quimby Deane in 1958
      and his brother Thomas H. E. Quimby in 1998. He is survived by his wife
      of 62 years, Helen Ziehm Quimby, of Seattle, who was at his side when he
      died; his daughter, Sedna Helen Quimby Wineland, of Boulder Colorado;
      sons G. Edward, John E. and Robert W. Quimby, of Seattle; and five
      grandchildren. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the
      George I. Quimby Memorial Anthropology Fund at Grand Valley State
      University, Allendale, MI.