2003 AAA Meeting

  • Rebecca L. Stein
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2003
      Just a reminder that now is the time to be thinking about putting together
      proposals for the 2003 AAA meetings in Chicago (November 19-23). The theme
      of this year's meeting is "Peace: Affinities, Divisions, Transformations."
      For more information about the meeting itself, go to
      http://www.aaanet.org/mtgs/mtgs.htm.

      SACC as a section is allocated two single invited sessions of 105 minutes
      each. This means that in addition to the 5-fields update, we could sponsor
      another invited session. A paper which is part of an organized session is
      "far more likely to be accepted" than a volunteered paper and an invited
      session also stands a better chance of being accepted onto the program.
      Topics that were suggested at the SACC 02 New Orleans business meeting
      included community college/high school relationships, using anthropology to
      understand current events, and anthropology and the beginning student.
      However, someone needs to actually organize such a session.

      There are also other options besides traditional papers:

      1. This year a roundtable format is being introduced on a trial basis. For
      this format, the organizer submits an abstract for the roundtable, in which
      participants do not present papers or submit abstracts, but instead
      participate through discussion. This is given the same weight as a paper
      presentation, as far as the one-person, one-paper rule goes. This could be
      a very interesting new format, if someone wants to try organizing one.

      2. Each section is allocated one invited, two-hour poster session, with up
      to 8 posters per session. This is in addition to our above mentioned paper
      sessions. The AAA is greatly encouraging people to submit poster sessions.

      3. A workshop is also an option. At last year's meeting, it was rumored
      that Jo Rainie Rodgers was interested in repeating her workshop. However, I
      do not have an email address for her. If anyone does, please pass this on
      and/or let me know.

      Finally, you should know that all submissions of proposals (invited and
      volunteered) are now being done online at the AAA's website. The forms are
      now available on the site.

      The deadline for all submissions is April 1. However, if you would like to
      be considered for SACC invited status, you need to let me know much sooner
      than that. I hate to set a hard and fast date, so let's just say for now
      that you need to be in touch with by early to mid-March at the latest.

      Omara and Chuck also need to check in with me to reassure me that the
      paperwork for the 5 fields session has been done.

      See you all in Vancouver in April!

      --Becky