RE: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Music

  • Mary L. Russell
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 7, 2003
      Thanks for sharing this source of music on the SACC List--it was just the kind of music package that I was looking for.

      Cheers!

      Mary L. Russell, Ph.D.
      Instructor, Anthropology
      Pierce College Fort Steilacoom
      9401 Farwest Drive S.W.
      Lakewood, WA 98498-1999

      (253) 964-6466

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 7, 2003
        In my Anthropology of Religion course I have a full
        1-1/2 lecture on music where I play parts of about a
        dozen CDs. An excellent source of ethic CDs is
        Folkway, a division of the Smithsonian.

        --- Robert Muckle <bmuckle@...> wrote:
        > Does anyone use music to supplement their lectures
        > when teaching
        > introductory anthropology courses?
        >
        > For accompaniment to a series of slides on some
        > African archaeology
        > sites and some contemporary Africans, I play some
        > music by Johnny Clegg.
        > It has to be played loud for full effect. Johnny
        > Clegg is from South
        > Africa and often has and/or still does play with the
        > groups 'Savuka'
        > and 'Juluka.' I particularly suggest everyone
        > listen to 'Scatterlings
        > of Africa.'
        >
        > I once tried playing 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds'
        > to accompany the
        > story of how Don Johanson came up with the name
        > 'Lucy' but that didn't
        > have much effect.
        >
        > A long time ago, I played some music recorded on
        > some ancient
        > instruments, but that didn't work either.
        >
        > Once, in an archaeology class, I played the theme to
        > 'Raiders of the
        > Lost Ark.' I can't remember for certain why I did
        > that, but I think it
        > was because I had an unusually dull group of
        > students and just wanted to
        > get their attention.
        >
        > If anyone else knows of music that works in
        > introductory course, I
        > would sure be glad to hear of it.
        >
        > Bob Muckle
        >
        > Be sure to check out the SACC web page at
        > www.anthro.cc (NOTE THE NEW ADDRESS!!) for meeting
        > materials, newsletters, etc.
        >
        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Rebecca Cramer
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 7, 2003
          Hi Everybody,
          Greetings from sunny Tucson! My sabbatical here in the anthropology
          department at the University of Arizona is awesome. I've tried to keep up
          with the list, and thought I'd mention that I play music in every class I
          teach every day. I put something on very low as background, mostly
          selections that go with the subjects or peoples we're studying. Sometimes
          we talk about the music directly, sometimes it's just a part of the scene.
          Students eat it up, and many bring selections to class to share.
          Hope to see you all in Vancouver if I can tear myself away.
          Beca

          In my Anthropology of Religion course I have a full
          1-1/2 lecture on music where I play parts of about a
          dozen CDs. An excellent source of ethic CDs is
          Folkway, a division of the Smithsonian.

          --- Robert Muckle <bmuckle@...> wrote:
          > Does anyone use music to supplement their lectures
          > when teaching
          > introductory anthropology courses?
          >
          > For accompaniment to a series of slides on some
          > African archaeology
          > sites and some contemporary Africans, I play some
          > music by Johnny Clegg.
          > It has to be played loud for full effect. Johnny
          > Clegg is from South
          > Africa and often has and/or still does play with the
          > groups 'Savuka'
          > and 'Juluka.' I particularly suggest everyone
          > listen to 'Scatterlings
          > of Africa.'
          >
          > I once tried playing 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds'
          > to accompany the
          > story of how Don Johanson came up with the name
          > 'Lucy' but that didn't
          > have much effect.
          >
          > A long time ago, I played some music recorded on
          > some ancient
          > instruments, but that didn't work either.
          >
          > Once, in an archaeology class, I played the theme to
          > 'Raiders of the
          > Lost Ark.' I can't remember for certain why I did
          > that, but I think it
          > was because I had an unusually dull group of
          > students and just wanted to
          > get their attention.
          >
          > If anyone else knows of music that works in
          > introductory course, I
          > would sure be glad to hear of it.
          >
          > Bob Muckle
          >
          > Be sure to check out the SACC web page at
          > www.anthro.cc (NOTE THE NEW ADDRESS!!) for meeting
          > materials, newsletters, etc.
          >
          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Robert Muckle
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 11, 2003
            I think I may have mentioned it before, in another context, but one of
            the exhibitors at the SACC conference in April is Festival Music. Their
            list includes many titles in the genres of ethnographic, world,
            indigenous, roots, and Native American music. They also distribute some
            of the titles from the Smithsonian's Folkways Music.

            Does anyone want to give a presentation or organize a roundtable
            discussion on this topic?

            The deadline for proposals is Friday, February 14th.

            Bob Muckle