Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos

  • anthropmor@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 7, 2003
      btw, did i mention the film "the language you cry in?" its very good - hits many topics & is really an emotive piece.
      best wishes - mike pavlik
    • Frank Timmermans
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
        > Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos
        > Date:
        > Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:36:01 EST
        > From:
        > LJMil@...
        > To:
        > SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

        > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

        Dear Lloyd,

        I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
        winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
        the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
        anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
        there.

        Would you be willing to give me some pointers?

        Thank you very much in advance.

        Cheers,

        Frank
      • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
          Heider's book is now in the 3rd edition. -- Dianne

          > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about
          classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to
          today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC
          NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

          Dear Lloyd,

          I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
          winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
          the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
          anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
          there.

          Would you be willing to give me some pointers?

          Thank you very much in advance.

          Cheers,

          Frank

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Dorothy Davis
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
            Yeh, I've got it. but I'm still using #2.

            Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc  (NOTE THE NEW

            http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/1MXolB/TM

            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
              Dear Frank,

              I've been retired from teaching for three years and thus my knowledge of video and visual materials is quite dated. Dianne Chidester (with whom you've already corresponded on the SACC ListServ) might be a good source. She wrote the instructor's manual and student
              guide for Heider's SEEING ANTHROPOLOGY, 1st ed and maybe the 2nd.

              If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.) Public TV programs. They usually offer programs they've aired for sale on videotape (probably now on DVD also) for reasonable prices. Also the U. of California, Berkeley has an extensive catalog of video
              materials for anthropology and other social sciences.

              Sorry I can't remember more. Best of luck!

              Sincerely,

              Lloyd

              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                Heider & Hermer have also published an extensive listing of ethnographic
                films. It's called "Films for Anthropological Teaching." I think the
                most recent edition is 1995, so I know there are lots more there. Also,
                check the sources in "Seeing Anthropology." Heider lists several of the
                film companies and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to send you their
                lists!

                I agree with Lloyd Miller about using Public TV programs, too. I've
                found many of them to be quite good. I also have to admit that I've
                paid attention to some of the films and film clips used in the anthro
                and soc telecourses, too (e.g., "Faces of Culture").

                Happy Hunting!
                Dianne

                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                  While I always recommend "The Language You Cry In" - I believe a 2000 release, there are many fine old and new releases.
                  Is there somerthing more specific abou the videos you are looking for?
                  For example, "The Language You Cry In" would fit for the topics of Africa, African americans, ethnomusicology, and colonialism.
                  "Man of Aran" is more of a historical document about early ethnographic film attempts, although still nifty in parts.
                  ( Europe -Ireland, peasnat societies,North Atlantic fishing traditions).
                  Best Wishes- Mike Pavlik
                • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                    In a message dated 11/18/2003 6:03:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, lloyd.miller@... writes:

                    > If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.)
                    > Public TV programs. They usually offer
                    You can check out Nova & other shows at PBS.org.
                    An excellent collection of shows -most available for purchase - someone at your library or media services probably allready has the ordering info.
                    Best Wishes - Mike Pavlik
                  • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                      In a message dated 11/18/2003 6:11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time, Dianne.Chidester@... writes:

                      > paid attention to some of the films and film clips used in
                      > the anthro
                      > and soc telecourses, too (e.g., "Faces of Culture").
                      If youre at the meetings, or any meetings with publishers- ask them about video supplements. You probably qualify for those, and they will send them to you gratis.
                      They should with the obscene prices of textbooks.
                      Best Mike Pavlik
                    • Robert Muckle
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                        An excellent video when dealing with assertions of aboriginal rights in
                        BLOCKADE, which focuses on rail and road blockades by a First Nation in
                        British Columbia. It is a very powerful film, which includes behind the
                        scenes strategizing sessions. The director/producer is Nettie Wild (who
                        also did A PLACE CALLED CHIAPIS). It is available from the National Film
                        Board in Canada. The film is 90 minutes.

                        Hugh Brody is a wonderful anthropologist/filmaker who has specialized
                        in ethnographic research and filming in northern Canada. One of my
                        favourites of his films is TREATY 8 COUNTRY, which focusses on a
                        Dunne-za summer hunting camp. It covers the same people he studied in
                        his book Maps and Dreams. There is no narration, just 45 minutes of good
                        film. Students stay focussed.

                        I also like Babakiueria. It is a 30 minute production out of Australia,
                        satirizing anthropology and 'white people.'
                        The title 'Babakiueria' is taken from 'Barbeque Area', which is how the
                        white people respond to the question by Australian aborigines when they
                        are asked 'What do you call this area?).

                        Bob Muckle
                      • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 19, 2003
                          Also, the PBS website often has quite good teaching materials to go
                          along with their shows. -- Dianne

                          lloyd.miller@... writes:

                          > If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.)
                          > Public TV programs. They usually offer
                          You can check out Nova & other shows at PBS.org.
                          An excellent collection of shows -most available for purchase - someone
                          at your library or media services probably allready has the ordering
                          info.
                          Best Wishes - Mike Pavlik

                          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                        • Ann Kaupp
                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 19, 2003
                            This information on film and video sources is from a leaflet that the
                            Smithsonian's Anthropology Outreach Offices distributes:

                            IV. ANTHROPOLOGICAL FILM RESOURCES:

                            UC Berkeley Extension
                            Center for Media and Independent Learning
                            2000 Center St. 4th Floor
                            Berkeley, CA 94704
                            (510) 642-0460; Fax: (510) 642-4124
                            email: askcmil@...
                            Anthropology and archeology film catalogues.

                            Documentary Educational Resources
                            101 Morse St.
                            Watertown, MA 02472
                            (617) 926-0491; Fax: (617) 926-9519
                            http://der.org/docued
                            email: DER.ORG
                            Catalogue and study guides available.

                            The Pennsylvania State University
                            Audio Visual Service,
                            Special Services Bldg.
                            1127 Fox Hill Rd.
                            University Park, PA 16803-1824
                            (814) 865-6314
                            Toll free: (800) 826-0132
                            Fax: (814) 863-2574
                            email: avsmedia@...
                            http://www.libraries.psu.edu/mtss/
                            Films and videos

                            National Geographic Society
                            Educational Services
                            P. O. Box 98019 Washington, D.C. 20090
                            (800) 368-2728
                            http://www.nationalgeographic.com
                            Educational Films catalogue

                            The Archaeological Institute of America
                            656 Beacon Street
                            Boston, MA 02215
                            (617) 353-9361; Fax: (617) 353-6550
                            http://www.archaeological.org
                            email: aia@...
                            Archaeology on Film 2nd ed. 2002
                            catalogue price: $9.98 Available from
                            David Brown Book Co., (800) 791-9354.

                            National Museum of the American Indian
                            Film and Video Department
                            Smithsonian Institution
                            George Gustav Heye Center
                            1 Bowling Green
                            New York, NY 10004
                            (212) 514-3737; Fax: (212) 514-3800
                            email:fvc@...
                            www.si.edu/nmai/
                            Native Americans on Film and Video

                            Shenandoah Film Productions
                            538 G St.
                            Arcata, CA 95521
                            (707) 822-1030; Fax: (707) 822-1035
                            email: shenfilm@...
                            Native American Videos catalog.
                            Indian-owned enterprise.

                            PBS Video
                            1320 Braddock Place
                            Alexandria, VA 22314-1698
                            (703) 739-5380; Fax: (703) 739-5269
                            www/pbs.org
                            Sale distribution of three parts of the 14-part Odyssey television film
                            series: "Myths and Mounds," "Inca," and "Maya."

                            For Japanese feature films, contact:

                            Facets Video
                            1571 West Fullerton Ave.
                            Chicago, IL 60614
                            Tel: (800) 331-6197
                            www.facets.org

                            Movies Unlimited
                            3015 Darnell Road
                            Philadelphia, PA 19154
                            Tel: (800) 668-4344
                            www.moviesunlimited.com

                            Center for South Asia Area
                            University of Wisconsin-Madison
                            203 Ingraham Hall, 1155 Observatory Dr.
                            Madison, WI 53706
                            (608) 262-4884; Fax: (608) 265-3062
                            www.wisc.edu/southasia/films/index.html
                            email: info@...
                            South Asia films.

                            Films for the Humanities & Sciences
                            PO Box 2053
                            Princeton, NJ 08543-2053
                            (800) 257-5126 or (609) 275-3767
                            http://www.films.com
                            email: custserv@...

                            BFA Educational Media
                            2349 Chaffee Dr.
                            St. Louis, MO 63146
                            (314) 569-0211

                            Vision Maker Video
                            P.O. Box 83111
                            Lincoln, NE 68501
                            (402) 472-3522
                            Fax: (402) 472-8675
                            www.visionmaker.org
                            (Films with a Native American perspective)

                            Alarion Press
                            P.O. Box 1882
                            Boulder, CO 80306-1882
                            (303) 433-9039; (800) 523-9177
                            Fax: (303) 443-9098
                            History Through Art and Archaeology (free catalogue. Includes videos
                            prepared by the Archaeological Institute of America.)

                            V. FILMSTRIPS AND SLIDE SETS

                            National Geographic Society
                            Educational Services
                            P. O. Box 98019
                            Washington, D.C. 20090
                            (800) 368-2728
                            http://www.nationalgeographic.com
                            Educational Services catalogue (free)

                            Educational Images Limited
                            P.O. Box 3456
                            Westside Station
                            Elmira, NY 14905-0456
                            (607) 732-1090; (800) 527-4264
                            Fax: (607) 732-1183
                            www.educationalimages.com
                            email: edimages@...
                            Audio Visuals and Software for Creative Teaching (free catalogue)

                            Pictures of Record
                            119 Kettle Creek Rd.
                            Weston, CT 06883
                            (203) 227-3387; Fax: (203) 222-9673
                            email: picturesofrecord@...
                            www.picturesofrecord.com
                            Archeological slide sets and digital images of major pre-Columbian
                            archeological sites and artifacts. (free catalogue)

                            American Museum of Natural History
                            Department of Library Services-Special Collections
                            Central Park West at 79th St.
                            New York, NY 10024
                            (212) 769-5400; Fax: (212) 769-5009
                            email: libraryweb@...
                            http://library.amnh.org/special/index.html
                            Color slides on exhibit halls and dioramas; human evolution; and
                            American Indian, Asian, African, Mesoamerican cultures and artifacts.

                            >>> lloyd.miller@... 11/18/03 06:03PM >>>

                            Frank Timmermans wrote:

                            > > Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos
                            > > Date:
                            > > Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:36:01 EST
                            > > From:
                            > > LJMil@...
                            > > To:
                            > > SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
                            >
                            > > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about
                            classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to
                            today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC
                            NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

                            > Dear Lloyd,
                            >
                            > I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
                            > winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
                            > the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
                            > anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
                            > there.
                            >
                            > Would you be willing to give me some pointers?
                            >
                            > Thank you very much in advance.
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            >
                            > Frank

                            Ann Kaupp, Head