FW: LASA 2000 Call for Papers

  • Ann Popplestone
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 1999
      From: Arthur Oyola-Yemaiel [SMTP:aoyola01@...]
      Sent: Thursday, March 11, 1999 5:50 PM
      To: ANTHRO-L@...
      Subject: LASA 2000 Call for Papers

      Environment Track, LASA 2000
      "Hands Across the Hemisphere: Cooperation and Connections for the New
      Millennium"
      Miami, Florida, March 16-18, 2000

      I invite interested scholars to submit paper abstracts by March 26, 1999 at
      the addresses shown below.

      Art Oyola-Yemaiel
      Department of Sociology and Anthropology,
      Florida International University
      DM 341 B University Park, Miami, Florida 33199
      (305)348-2247 fax (305) 348-3605 e-mail: aoyola01@...

      Session: Ecotourism and Sustainability: Cooperation for the New Millennium
      Organizer: Arthur Oyola-Yemaiel

      Over the past decade the ecotourism industry has grown from small-scale
      enterprises to large multi-level conglomerates. Single-operator tours have
      given way to large organizations with high capital investment and
      internationally-linked infrastructures utilizing advanced technological
      information systems. These changes have resulted, in turn, in various
      conflicts ranging from issues of property rights, land permits, cultural
      heritage, prioritized access, income distribution, and use restriction. The
      papers in this panel will address these controversies through a number of
      Latin American cases. Further we seek to explore how cooperation can
      resolve conflicts and whether ecotourism can achieve its expressed goals of
      social and environmental sustainability as we enter the new millennium.

      This panel is the third in a series of panels organized by members of the
      Sociology/Anthropology Department of Florida International University at
      LASA Congresses beginning in 1997.

      In the first panel (LASA 97), "Ecotourism in Latin America: Lessons
      Learned," we examined ecotourism from the perspective of its impact on the
      conservation of natural resources.
      In the second panel (LASA 98, "Ecotourism in Latin America: Sustainable
      Development and Social Equity," we addressed the issues of ecotourism
      practices and their impact on social factors.
      In the third panel, we intend to examine ecotourism controversies and
      analyze whether cooperation can resolve them so ecotourism can achieve its
      expressed goals of social and environmental sustainability as we enter the
      new millennium.

      Edited Book
      Janet Chernela and I extend our invitation to those scholars from the
      previous panels as well as from this one to submit their papers for
      compilation of an edited book on the subject.

      Please send manuscripts to:

      Janet M. Chernela
      Associate Professor, Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology
      Florida International University
      North Miami, FL 33181-3600
      voice 305-919-5861
      fax 305-919-5964