Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos

  • anthropmor@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 4, 2003
      In a message dated 2/4/03 4:07:01 PM Central Standard Time, bmuckle@... writes:

      I got my Darwin video several years ago, but I see in a current
      Wadsworth text I am using, under the section 'Supplements' it says
      'Qualified adopters may select full-length videos from an extensive
      library of offerings drawn from excellent educational video sources such
      as
      Films for the Humanities and Sciences.

      and, by the way - anyone looking for encyclopedia britannica or coronet films should conatct facets multimedia in chicago - which has a number of them, and is most likely to have a good archive.
        john calloway did a report on these films a year or two ago, on wttw in chicago - on the chicago stories series.
      you might be able to get that at pbs.org
      thanks for the wadsworth reference - they've sent me cnn vidoes before to use w/ texts.  they are usually helpful.
      best wishes -= mike pavlik
    • Dianne.Chidester@kctcs.edu
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 7, 2003
        A video I like is "American Tongues."  (Some of you may remember a discussion at the reception in Seattle when some of us were able to quote from the film.)  It is about American dialects but it really gets students to use an etic view when it comes to "us."  One of my Japanese students, however, complained that the government needs to teach Americans to speak the same language!

        For my intro to archaeology class I use Harold D. Juli's outline found in "Strategies in Teaching Anthropology" 2nd edited by Rice & McCurdy.    In "the Illegal Antiquities Trade, Looting, and Archaeological Ethics" (p. 30), he uses the first 15 minutes of "Raiders of the Lost Ark."  After viewing, I ask the students what they learn about archaeology from this film.  It really gets them going.

        Dianne Lynn Chidester, M.A.
        Assistant Professor
        Anthropology & Sociology
        Jefferson Community College SW
        1000 Community College Dr
        Louisville, KY  40272

        (502) 213-7354
      • anthropmor@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 7, 2003
          btw, did i mention the film "the language you cry in?" its very good - hits many topics & is really an emotive piece.
          best wishes - mike pavlik
        • Frank Timmermans
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
            > Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos
            > Date:
            > Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:36:01 EST
            > From:
            > LJMil@...
            > To:
            > SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

            > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

            Dear Lloyd,

            I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
            winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
            the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
            anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
            there.

            Would you be willing to give me some pointers?

            Thank you very much in advance.

            Cheers,

            Frank
          • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
              Heider's book is now in the 3rd edition. -- Dianne

              > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about
              classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to
              today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC
              NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

              Dear Lloyd,

              I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
              winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
              the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
              anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
              there.

              Would you be willing to give me some pointers?

              Thank you very much in advance.

              Cheers,

              Frank

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Dorothy Davis
              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                Yeh, I've got it. but I'm still using #2.

                Be sure to check out the SACC web page at www.anthro.cc  (NOTE THE NEW

                http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/1MXolB/TM

                Message 7 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                  Dear Frank,

                  I've been retired from teaching for three years and thus my knowledge of video and visual materials is quite dated. Dianne Chidester (with whom you've already corresponded on the SACC ListServ) might be a good source. She wrote the instructor's manual and student
                  guide for Heider's SEEING ANTHROPOLOGY, 1st ed and maybe the 2nd.

                  If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.) Public TV programs. They usually offer programs they've aired for sale on videotape (probably now on DVD also) for reasonable prices. Also the U. of California, Berkeley has an extensive catalog of video
                  materials for anthropology and other social sciences.

                  Sorry I can't remember more. Best of luck!

                  Sincerely,

                  Lloyd

                  Message 8 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                    Heider & Hermer have also published an extensive listing of ethnographic
                    films. It's called "Films for Anthropological Teaching." I think the
                    most recent edition is 1995, so I know there are lots more there. Also,
                    check the sources in "Seeing Anthropology." Heider lists several of the
                    film companies and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to send you their
                    lists!

                    I agree with Lloyd Miller about using Public TV programs, too. I've
                    found many of them to be quite good. I also have to admit that I've
                    paid attention to some of the films and film clips used in the anthro
                    and soc telecourses, too (e.g., "Faces of Culture").

                    Happy Hunting!
                    Dianne

                    Message 9 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                      While I always recommend "The Language You Cry In" - I believe a 2000 release, there are many fine old and new releases.
                      Is there somerthing more specific abou the videos you are looking for?
                      For example, "The Language You Cry In" would fit for the topics of Africa, African americans, ethnomusicology, and colonialism.
                      "Man of Aran" is more of a historical document about early ethnographic film attempts, although still nifty in parts.
                      ( Europe -Ireland, peasnat societies,North Atlantic fishing traditions).
                      Best Wishes- Mike Pavlik
                    • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                      Message 10 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                        In a message dated 11/18/2003 6:03:41 PM Eastern Standard Time, lloyd.miller@... writes:

                        > If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.)
                        > Public TV programs. They usually offer
                        You can check out Nova & other shows at PBS.org.
                        An excellent collection of shows -most available for purchase - someone at your library or media services probably allready has the ordering info.
                        Best Wishes - Mike Pavlik
                      • anthropmor@AOL.COM
                        Message 11 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                          In a message dated 11/18/2003 6:11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time, Dianne.Chidester@... writes:

                          > paid attention to some of the films and film clips used in
                          > the anthro
                          > and soc telecourses, too (e.g., "Faces of Culture").
                          If youre at the meetings, or any meetings with publishers- ask them about video supplements. You probably qualify for those, and they will send them to you gratis.
                          They should with the obscene prices of textbooks.
                          Best Mike Pavlik
                        • Robert Muckle
                          Message 12 of 28 , Nov 18, 2003
                            An excellent video when dealing with assertions of aboriginal rights in
                            BLOCKADE, which focuses on rail and road blockades by a First Nation in
                            British Columbia. It is a very powerful film, which includes behind the
                            scenes strategizing sessions. The director/producer is Nettie Wild (who
                            also did A PLACE CALLED CHIAPIS). It is available from the National Film
                            Board in Canada. The film is 90 minutes.

                            Hugh Brody is a wonderful anthropologist/filmaker who has specialized
                            in ethnographic research and filming in northern Canada. One of my
                            favourites of his films is TREATY 8 COUNTRY, which focusses on a
                            Dunne-za summer hunting camp. It covers the same people he studied in
                            his book Maps and Dreams. There is no narration, just 45 minutes of good
                            film. Students stay focussed.

                            I also like Babakiueria. It is a 30 minute production out of Australia,
                            satirizing anthropology and 'white people.'
                            The title 'Babakiueria' is taken from 'Barbeque Area', which is how the
                            white people respond to the question by Australian aborigines when they
                            are asked 'What do you call this area?).

                            Bob Muckle
                          • Chidester, Dianne (Jefferson)
                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 19, 2003
                              Also, the PBS website often has quite good teaching materials to go
                              along with their shows. -- Dianne

                              lloyd.miller@... writes:

                              > If I were going to teach again, I'd get a catalog of (U.S.)
                              > Public TV programs. They usually offer
                              You can check out Nova & other shows at PBS.org.
                              An excellent collection of shows -most available for purchase - someone
                              at your library or media services probably allready has the ordering
                              info.
                              Best Wishes - Mike Pavlik

                              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                            • Ann Kaupp
                              Message 14 of 28 , Nov 19, 2003
                                This information on film and video sources is from a leaflet that the
                                Smithsonian's Anthropology Outreach Offices distributes:

                                IV. ANTHROPOLOGICAL FILM RESOURCES:

                                UC Berkeley Extension
                                Center for Media and Independent Learning
                                2000 Center St. 4th Floor
                                Berkeley, CA 94704
                                (510) 642-0460; Fax: (510) 642-4124
                                email: askcmil@...
                                Anthropology and archeology film catalogues.

                                Documentary Educational Resources
                                101 Morse St.
                                Watertown, MA 02472
                                (617) 926-0491; Fax: (617) 926-9519
                                http://der.org/docued
                                email: DER.ORG
                                Catalogue and study guides available.

                                The Pennsylvania State University
                                Audio Visual Service,
                                Special Services Bldg.
                                1127 Fox Hill Rd.
                                University Park, PA 16803-1824
                                (814) 865-6314
                                Toll free: (800) 826-0132
                                Fax: (814) 863-2574
                                email: avsmedia@...
                                http://www.libraries.psu.edu/mtss/
                                Films and videos

                                National Geographic Society
                                Educational Services
                                P. O. Box 98019 Washington, D.C. 20090
                                (800) 368-2728
                                http://www.nationalgeographic.com
                                Educational Films catalogue

                                The Archaeological Institute of America
                                656 Beacon Street
                                Boston, MA 02215
                                (617) 353-9361; Fax: (617) 353-6550
                                http://www.archaeological.org
                                email: aia@...
                                Archaeology on Film 2nd ed. 2002
                                catalogue price: $9.98 Available from
                                David Brown Book Co., (800) 791-9354.

                                National Museum of the American Indian
                                Film and Video Department
                                Smithsonian Institution
                                George Gustav Heye Center
                                1 Bowling Green
                                New York, NY 10004
                                (212) 514-3737; Fax: (212) 514-3800
                                email:fvc@...
                                www.si.edu/nmai/
                                Native Americans on Film and Video

                                Shenandoah Film Productions
                                538 G St.
                                Arcata, CA 95521
                                (707) 822-1030; Fax: (707) 822-1035
                                email: shenfilm@...
                                Native American Videos catalog.
                                Indian-owned enterprise.

                                PBS Video
                                1320 Braddock Place
                                Alexandria, VA 22314-1698
                                (703) 739-5380; Fax: (703) 739-5269
                                www/pbs.org
                                Sale distribution of three parts of the 14-part Odyssey television film
                                series: "Myths and Mounds," "Inca," and "Maya."

                                For Japanese feature films, contact:

                                Facets Video
                                1571 West Fullerton Ave.
                                Chicago, IL 60614
                                Tel: (800) 331-6197
                                www.facets.org

                                Movies Unlimited
                                3015 Darnell Road
                                Philadelphia, PA 19154
                                Tel: (800) 668-4344
                                www.moviesunlimited.com

                                Center for South Asia Area
                                University of Wisconsin-Madison
                                203 Ingraham Hall, 1155 Observatory Dr.
                                Madison, WI 53706
                                (608) 262-4884; Fax: (608) 265-3062
                                www.wisc.edu/southasia/films/index.html
                                email: info@...
                                South Asia films.

                                Films for the Humanities & Sciences
                                PO Box 2053
                                Princeton, NJ 08543-2053
                                (800) 257-5126 or (609) 275-3767
                                http://www.films.com
                                email: custserv@...

                                BFA Educational Media
                                2349 Chaffee Dr.
                                St. Louis, MO 63146
                                (314) 569-0211

                                Vision Maker Video
                                P.O. Box 83111
                                Lincoln, NE 68501
                                (402) 472-3522
                                Fax: (402) 472-8675
                                www.visionmaker.org
                                (Films with a Native American perspective)

                                Alarion Press
                                P.O. Box 1882
                                Boulder, CO 80306-1882
                                (303) 433-9039; (800) 523-9177
                                Fax: (303) 443-9098
                                History Through Art and Archaeology (free catalogue. Includes videos
                                prepared by the Archaeological Institute of America.)

                                V. FILMSTRIPS AND SLIDE SETS

                                National Geographic Society
                                Educational Services
                                P. O. Box 98019
                                Washington, D.C. 20090
                                (800) 368-2728
                                http://www.nationalgeographic.com
                                Educational Services catalogue (free)

                                Educational Images Limited
                                P.O. Box 3456
                                Westside Station
                                Elmira, NY 14905-0456
                                (607) 732-1090; (800) 527-4264
                                Fax: (607) 732-1183
                                www.educationalimages.com
                                email: edimages@...
                                Audio Visuals and Software for Creative Teaching (free catalogue)

                                Pictures of Record
                                119 Kettle Creek Rd.
                                Weston, CT 06883
                                (203) 227-3387; Fax: (203) 222-9673
                                email: picturesofrecord@...
                                www.picturesofrecord.com
                                Archeological slide sets and digital images of major pre-Columbian
                                archeological sites and artifacts. (free catalogue)

                                American Museum of Natural History
                                Department of Library Services-Special Collections
                                Central Park West at 79th St.
                                New York, NY 10024
                                (212) 769-5400; Fax: (212) 769-5009
                                email: libraryweb@...
                                http://library.amnh.org/special/index.html
                                Color slides on exhibit halls and dioramas; human evolution; and
                                American Indian, Asian, African, Mesoamerican cultures and artifacts.

                                >>> lloyd.miller@... 11/18/03 06:03PM >>>

                                Frank Timmermans wrote:

                                > > Re: [SACC-L] Lets Talk Videos
                                > > Date:
                                > > Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:36:01 EST
                                > > From:
                                > > LJMil@...
                                > > To:
                                > > SACC-L@yahoogroups.com
                                >
                                > > I'll begin a "video" file of these ongoing conversations about
                                classroom film and video. If someone can (re)send me the ones prior to
                                today, I'll compile them all into a resource article for the next SACC
                                NOTES. The timing is perfect, as I'm working on it now.

                                > Dear Lloyd,
                                >
                                > I will be teaching an introductory cultural anthropology course in
                                > winter for which I would like to use a lot of visual materials. I have
                                > the video and accompanying book with excerpts by Heizer ("Seeing
                                > anthropology", 2nd ed.), but otherwise I don't have a clue what is out
                                > there.
                                >
                                > Would you be willing to give me some pointers?
                                >
                                > Thank you very much in advance.
                                >
                                > Cheers,
                                >
                                > Frank

                                Ann Kaupp, Head